Identifying Leica Accessory Shutter Releases

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a couple of Leica 'soft' releases that I am trying to identify. I think the original use is better described as a way of keeping the shutter release finger from obstructing the movement of the shutter release dial when the shutter is fired. This rather than any enhanced ability to shoot at slower shutter speeds.

The one on the left seems to be a light alloy of some sort and carries an additional release button which depresses the camera's shutter release button. I think this may be that described in Dennis Laney's accessory guide as a SOREI (page 93)

The smaller one on the right is nickel (matching a nickel Elmar that I have) and is probably much older. I can find no reference to this anywhere. It fits nicely on a Leica II and works well as a guard to stop the shutter finger fouling the shutter speed dial. Has anyone come across this or similar. If so any idea of the code word?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 years later...

I just bought a Leica II with the smaller shutter release shroud on the right.  I was wondering whether it was an original part, but I guess from what you've said, it is.   

Alan McFall has accurately summarised this here

The PROCU does not appear in prewar British catalogues, but seems to have appeared in a US catalogue from 1939. Laney only mentions the SOREI which is from 1949 and from Leitz New York. Most such items I have seen have not been from Leitz, but from Britain, US or USSR. I'm not sure that this matters as it is only a simple accessory which may or may not improve one's photography. These days such soft release are all over the place for the M range with all kinds of fancy decorative designs on them.

William 

• Like 1

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have one of these, if yours is the same as mine it is not spring loaded like the sorei but a more simple construction.