soft shutter release for Leica M

MikeMyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/10/2021 at 3:02 AM, cboy said:

2c...I used to use soft shutter for my fujis but kept losing them so i didnt bother with my leica which i fear ill do the same again losing it or damaging the thread.

Like others here i tend to 'draw' the pad of the finger to depress the shutter than to use the fingertip; i feel it creates less movement.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If i were looking for one the above would be the most unobtrusive.

I have used a similar one for a few years on my M2, now it's on my M10-R. It fits on the M2 flush, but on the M10 a lit bit higher with a visible gap.  The thread shapes are a bit different.

The two that I bought,  Abrahamsson Classic Softrelease and my Abrahamsson Mini SoftRelease, have been everything I hoped for.

They look like they are part of the camera, and much  more importantly, they feel like they are part of the camera.  Neither one has loosened up.  They certainly cost more than a few bucks each from eBay, but to me they are worth it.  I did have my doubts before ordering, but I'm satisfied.

If I was trying to save money, I wouldn't be shooting with a Leica.  For the types of photography I do most (but not all) of the time, the M10 is a perfect choice.  Maybe I should really say a "perfect compromise", as there are new models with more pixels and quieter operation, but I can't convince myself that this would benefit me, especially not enough to justify the additional cost.  To me, the camera is just a tool, and these soft releases may not be necessary, but they make it easier for me to be smoother in releasing the shutter.  

(Photos posted in a previous response.)

Edited by MikeMyers

On 12/13/2020 at 2:36 AM, MikeMyers said:

Question - how did you ever learn to do it the way you described?

A bit late to the party ;) but interesting enough to answer: this is the way the camera was designed to be used by Leica; the collar around the release button is meant to be a resting point for your finger whilst pushing the shutter button. That makes the soft releases rather counterproductive, but they look nice. I must confess to having a red LHSA one on my M6... :( 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jaapv said:

the collar around the release button is meant to be a resting point for your finger whilst pushing the shutter button. That makes the soft releases rather counterproductive,

Very interesting, it totally makes sense. Tomorrow I'll try shooting w/ the soft release first, then w/o. And see, like an IBIS, if I gain an extra stop 😇 On my m10, I don't like to risk going below 1/30, it's my safe limit.

On 12/12/2020 at 4:41 PM, adan said:

I never use soft releases. Used properly, the M shutter release - as designed - is better than any add-on.

What is "used properly?"

Grip the camera with three fingers and the thumb of the right hand. Lay the index finger across the top of the camera so that that tip lies on the shutter dial, bent ~70° at the second finger joint.

That finger will then "bridge" the shutter button and its protective bowl or bezel. The finger is now stabilized on four points - the shutter dial, both sides of the shutter button bezel, and the edge of the camera under the second knuckle.

Then simply squeeze or flex that whole finger down (as farnz says, don't "stab" with a fingertip). The finger flesh will settle into the bowl, firing the shutter (and tightening your grip at the same time, just when you need it). Much more stable than balancing the finger or fingertip on a raised "pinnacle" (i.e. add-on button).

Try it.

I tried this technique last night and after 25+ years shooting Leica M’s, I was blown away.🤯 

Might take a bit to get this set as my muscle memory, but this is the technique I’m going to focus on. 

Thanks @adan!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not all that long ago, I thought it was a waste of money.  Then some experienced people here said it works better for them.  So I placed my order.  I don't know that it makes such a big difference, but I did prefer to shoot with it on.  

Since I was testing, I got the large one, and a smaller one.  The larger one distributes the pressure of my finger over a larger area.  

After trying both ways, I left it in place.  

As to "this is the way the camera was designed to be used by Leica; the collar around the release button is meant to be a resting point for your finger whilst pushing the shutter button", the camera was also designed to be used with 35mm film.  The camera was also designed for one's eye to go behind the eyepiece for composing and focusing.  

Of course I've gone back to using my M3 for a while, but I far prefer the M10 in almost every way.  (.....like if there was an extended lack of electrical power, the M10 would be a paperweight, while my M3 still worked as designed...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

As to "this is the way the camera was designed to be used by Leica; the collar around the release button is meant to be a resting point for your finger whilst pushing the shutter button", the camera was also designed to be used with 35mm film.  The camera was also designed for one's eye to go behind the eyepiece for composing and focusing.  

Yes- but what has that to do with pushing the shutter button?  You may have noticed that the shutter button collar is still retained on the M10.

Are you suggesting that it should be done differently using the EVF? Or using a sensor instead of film? I'm afraid you have lost me completely here.

Nope, just that new things have been developed since the Leica was originally made, and maybe this soft release is better.  Or not.  

Back when I thought the soft release was just a waste of money, people here convinced me to give it a try.  I did, and I like it.  Of course, on the other hand, I read where the M3 is the best Leica ever made, at least regarding the viewfinder.  Doesn't it all just come down to personal preference?

I'm not really suggesting anything, other than that people should try it, and see if they like it - or not.

• 1 month later...

I have personally found convex soft buttons to be better ergonomically for my style of shooting, particularly when one-handed with a thumb grip. That isn't to say the benefits will be universal. 

I've used JJC soft buttons since I bought my first Fuji and never looked back. If looking for a cheap one, make sure it comes with the little rubber o-ring.

When I bought my M10, I bought a red Leica button at the same time as I love the Leica logo and am proud of finally having this camera after a decade of lusting after an M.

One caveat is that when carrying a Fujifilm around 2012 with a button in my bag, the button must have gotten caught and it ripped out my whole shutter button which it was screwed into. I had it repaired but it happened again a couple of years later. I then removed it every time I stored it in a bag to avoid the issue. Has anyone heard of this hapoening to a Leica M? I keep my soft button screwed in but am very careful with how I pack my bag. However, I always wonder whether I should remove it before putting it away as I live in New Zealand and it would take years to get it repaired and back to me. 

On 3/17/2021 at 2:40 PM, MikeMyers said:

The two that I bought,  Abrahamsson Classic Softrelease and my Abrahamsson Mini SoftRelease, have been everything I hoped for.

They look like they are part of the camera, and much  more importantly, they feel like they are part of the camera.  Neither one has loosened up.  They certainly cost more than a few bucks each from eBay, but to me they are worth it.  I did have my doubts before ordering, but I'm satisfied.

If I was trying to save money, I wouldn't be shooting with a Leica.  For the types of photography I do most (but not all) of the time, the M10 is a perfect choice.  Maybe I should really say a "perfect compromise", as there are new models with more pixels and quieter operation, but I can't convince myself that this would benefit me, especially not enough to justify the additional cost.  To me, the camera is just a tool, and these soft releases may not be necessary, but they make it easier for me to be smoother in releasing the shutter.  

(Photos posted in a previous response.)

I have tried perhaps 10 different soft releases on my Lecias and Fujis. For a soft release that looks to be part of my Leica I simply settled on one from Leica. Matches my M camera perfectly in colour and great feel.

https://www.leicacamerausa.com/soft-release-button-leica-12mm-chrome.html

• 2 years later...

Obviously very late to this party, but the benefit of a forum is that late joiners can learn from prior discussions.  My M11 is my first M camera.  A search lead me to this thread.

As an M11 shooter that is constantly trying to improve, I want to give a shout out to @adan for his picture and description on how to position, support, and trigger the shutter release.  I read it once somewhere, but did not really get it.

I even participated in a Leica class for the M11 and this was not covered or discussed.

I have been working on technique to minimize camera shake.  I just went out and practiced this method of shutter release and I cannot believe how well it worked for me.  The light was fading, but I started dropping my shutter speed and getting sharp results consistently.  I will test 1/f tomorrow.

Personally, for those that have the ability, I believe @adan's response should be incorporated into the FAQs for the M on this forum.  I read it in Jan 2022 when I got my M11 and searched it again recently on these topics.

Now that I know this, it seems foundational to good technique with an M camera.

I understand people's mileage varies on these types of things, but every adjustment I have made since getting my M11, I think this making the biggest difference.

(perhaps I should learn how to reference another discussion and post this in the M11 area)

Thank you again.

• Like 1

I use soft release buttons on my cameras. It makes it easier for me to press the shutter. Just cheap 2 for $10 black concave soft releases with knurled side for me. Probably aluminum. Work great and haven’t lost any just yet. I spent a bit a decade or so back on brass or whatever brand soft releases. That usually get lost within some months. I noticed 0 difference besides the $ for my needs. 

Edited by rich_

I don’t use them - nothing to do with the  action of taking the picture, but because the button sticks out, I was finding the cameras had flat batteries occasionally from pressure in the bag. 

On the M6 (original) there’s no way to switch off the meter so slight pressure in a bag flattened the battery. You can put it on B every time you put it in the bag to avoid this… but who would actually do that?

On the recent digitals, I don’t really switch them off - they don’t go flat unless there’s a soft release to trip you up 😉

I tried a "soft shutter" release many years ago on my M6 because...well, because people said if you use a Leica you should have a soft-release.  I used it for a couple of weeks and decided it was a solution for which there was no problem. I saw nothing about it that made picture-taking better/easier.   In fact, as the previous post states, I found that it could cause a problem by allowing the shutter button to be depressed with the camera in a bag and discharge the battery.  

Edited by Mikep996
  • Thanks 1

I find it very useful, the shutter button I feel it’s too small and doesn’t have the “right” size to know if it’s half pressed. I will change this black one to these 2 and just ordered them. Will update when they will arrive.

Aliexpress link
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 5:41 PM, adan said:

I never use soft releases. Used properly, the M shutter release - as designed - is better than any add-on.

What is "used properly?"

Grip the camera with three fingers and the thumb of the right hand. Lay the index finger across the top of the camera so that that tip lies on the shutter dial, bent ~70° at the second finger joint.

That finger will then "bridge" the shutter button and its protective bowl or bezel. The finger is now stabilized on four points - the shutter dial, both sides of the shutter button bezel, and the edge of the camera under the second knuckle.

Then simply squeeze or flex that whole finger down (as farnz says, don't "stab" with a fingertip). The finger flesh will settle into the bowl, firing the shutter (and tightening your grip at the same time, just when you need it). Much more stable than balancing the finger or fingertip on a raised "pinnacle" (i.e. add-on button).

Try it.

I can certainly see how this may be a good technique. Wish this old dog would have learned this trick a long time ago!

I've been working professionally for more than 40 years and I don't think I can unlearn the muscle memory of "stabbing" at the shutter release now.

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2023 at 9:41 PM, 84bravo said:

I can certainly see how this may be a good technique. Wish this old dog would have learned this trick a long time ago!

I've been working professionally for more than 40 years and I don't think I can unlearn the muscle memory of "stabbing" at the shutter release now.

You would have if you had read the FAQ 😉

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...