21mm Summilux or 24mm Summilux

Kamyar

On my Nikon SLR, the 35mm f/2 was my "normal" lens. I flanked it with an 85mm f/1.8 and a 20mm f/3.5.

Later, when I needed something wider and faster, I replaced the 20mm with a 24mm f/2 and an 18mm f/3.5.

When I started shooting with my M6 rangefinder, based on my experience with my Nikon, I flanked my 35mm f/1.4 with a 90mm f/2 and a 21mm f/1.4.

The 28mm is my favorite focal length for landscapes; however, I rarely use 35mm cameras for landscapes. I prefer to shoot landscapes with medium or large format cameras.

I primarily use my M6 for reportage, street, vehicle interiors, and architectural interiors. Based on my experience with my Nikon, I knew that when I need something wider than my 35mm lens, I would happier with a fast 21mm rather than a fast 24mm.

I have SEM 21, Elmarit 24 and Summilux 35 in terms of WA lenses. After  a few years , conclusion was that I did not use the 35 much. Both the 21 SEM and the 24 Elmarits are perfect for landscape.  I have also been using them for street as I like the WA approach . I have recently acquired a Summilux 24, mint from 2016. It is to replace the 35 Slux as an overall lens as its angle of view allows both portraits and landscape. Now, in terms of use for both :

1) for landscape SEM 21 is the better lens. The 24 Slux is also very good but I found problems in using it in hyperfocal for highest depth of field. The lens (at least my copy) is very sharp also at corners when set to infinity but this drops if you use the hyperfocal. This said I have made several landscape pictures full open by using a 10xND filter. These can be seen here.

2) In terms of the street use of the 24 it is an incomparable lens in background separation of a subject within context. But you have to get much closer to subject or take example on the work of a photographer like Alan Schaller who masters the lens in urban context.

I have decided to sell my SL 35 but not yet decided to separate from the Elmarit 24 as it has a very special signature for the landscapes. Still thought in process and learning.

Anyhow, if you buy a copy of the 24 , get a late one where the production process at Leica has been optimized. my comparisons of it on corner sharpness vs the Elmarit 24 was at least equal if not better. Obviously SEM 21 in corner to corner sharpness is a better one. Putting the finances aside , I personally believe you should get a pair of SEM 21 and the Summilux 24 this will give you the possibility to cover all possible situations and divert your GAS into other areas😃.

Edited by newnew

• 2 years later...

1st and 3rd- 21 lux

Middle - 24 lux

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, northernlights said:

1st and 3rd- 21 lux

Middle - 24 lux

These are excellent. The 24 Lux has a special “cinematic” rendering that I love and is on display in your image. 

• Like 2

Thanks. What I am trying to show here is despite all that is said about the sharpness of the 21mm super elmar or the 24mm equivalent of the super elmar, they don’t give a cinematic rendering at f1.4. The super elmars are good at what they do, but they are sharp sharp corner to corner, clinical, perfection and epitome of sharpness and detail. But, no special characteristics of the luxes. 

• Like 1

These are 21 luxes shot near wide open or wide open 

• Like 6

Sad we never got a reply from OP, what he decided on.

just my two cents, got the 21/1.4 earlier last year, and my impression was, that its quite unique wide open especially for streetphotography.

for landscape, meh, the corners were quite soft. Even at f11.

recently i got a second copy and a 24lux(had to get my money out of china)

the 2nd copy is much sharper in the corners! So i might send in my first copy to leica.

the 24 i havent used so much yet, but short tests showed that its a bit of a better performer.

But for my street work i prefer the 21.

i can easily catch a situation and crop to my liking later, i also use a m10m

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 8/6/2020 at 5:30 PM, JCR33 said:

I have an 21 2.8 Pre and used occasionally. Seen some 21 Lux images online and was very impressed. Didn't get it because the size and weight, not to mention the price and frequency of use. Like most M users, 35 lux is my most used, 28 is too close and 24 seems to be a nice one to fill the gap. So I bought one back in 2014. Since then, I have been using a lot and loving it. I use it for landscape, street, portrait, food or even macro(adding Novoflex adaptor), day or night. Quite versatile for my use.

]

I'll need that Gz34 miniwatt 😉 - please

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Resurrecting an old topic…. Anyways, the 24 Lux is my favourite M lens for street photography. 
You can use it without a finder. It’s a great stealth lens as people don’t realise they are in the edge of the frame. It renders beautifully, subtly different to the Elmarit. It’s less distorted than the 21mm so can feel natural. 

• Like 2

On 8/5/2020 at 3:30 AM, lethaln said:

Another thing to think about particularly since you also do landscape is the availability of filters. I believe (correct me if im wrong) is that the 21mm summilux takes the series 8, whereas the 24mm takes the series 7 filters and finding adapters for their filter size to use modern-day filters can be difficult

Correct. I still have many Serie 8 filters from when I owned the 21 lux. I now bought a used 24 lux and has a hard time finding Serie7 filters.

On 8/5/2020 at 2:34 AM, Kamyar said:

Hey all. 
i have m10m and sl2. 
i have 35 f2. 50 apo. 75 apo. 
i need one wide angle lens for landscape and street . 
i can buy one Summilux wide angel Summilux series. 
i have 2 offer , one 24 lux and one 21 lux. 
which better? ( quality, optic and..... ) 

thanks all

I also shoot landscape and street and for 21 prefer the 21/3.4. It is very sharp and if I remember correctly some even thought it was sharper than the 24/3.4 which I also own. Any lux should be mainly used wide open and you could be buying that type of lens for seldom use wide open. For sure landscape it will be stopped down. The 46mm filters for either the 21 or 24 non-lux lenses help. Heck you could get both a 21 and 24 SEM for the price of  lux, especially the 21 lux. Suggest you think this through carefully and even rent if you want to get it right.

• Like 1