Has anybody done business with " Rangefinder HK"?

photophile

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not from Rangefinder HK, but I have purchased a number of items (in the $500-$1000) price range out of Japan and China, and never incurred any sales tax or customs duty coming into the USA.  FedEx or DHL simply deliver it to my door.  So far, never had a problem of any kind.

11 minutes ago, Danner said:

Not from Rangefinder HK, but I have purchased a number of items (in the $500-$1000) price range out of Japan and China, and never incurred any sales tax or customs duty coming into the USA.  FedEx or DHL simply deliver it to my door.  So far, never had a problem of any kind.

Damn.. I missed out on a great deal few months ago 

On 5/6/2021 at 1:05 PM, ymc226 said:

I bought a 28 M Summilux a few months ago, received within 5 days to California, saved $2000 and no tax, yet.  Just bought a TL 18-56 with a great discount, received within 3 days. Faster than B&H.  I am thinking about the SL 75 next for portraits but am thinking my 50 SL Lux suits my style for now.  They are great and have quick and consistent communication. The only thing is the tax bill may or may not show up eventually. 

that's good to know.  FedEx sometimes doesn't go through customs. I've not ordered from hong kong before.  with other shippers the customs bill is sometimes delayed.  I just wanted to know in case i get slapped with a tax + a german import fee.  that makes the 75 nocti the same price as the US.  (it's a long way from free either way).  from RangeFinder HK it's 13k and US retail is 16.  but the 75 nocti is amazing...

thanks for the info!

• 1 year later...

I am (will be) a new user to Leica M film cameras. Looking to purchase a new MP (black paint). As many of you know, they are impossible to source stateside right now. Not sure if the camera has been discontinued or, if its supply chain/logistics challenged. Rangefinder HK has one and, it is at a lower price than available in the US. Price aside, will I have any issues with the Leica warranty being honored in the US. RHK was very transparent is letting me know the camera is a "parallel import" meaning (assuming), its the equivalent of a gray market camera in the USA. Need some coaching here as, I'd like to pull the trigger but, don't want to get in over my head with unanticipated challenges; taxes/import duties, warranty issues, etc..."Thank You" in advance for your input. Nick

The “grey market”, “global warranty” is a local dealer wheeze.  If you register your new product, and you have proof of purchase (never needed it), my experience has been that Leica will honour the warranty regardless of where you purchased it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, jaapv said:

But it may be that you have to deal with Leica Wetzlar directly, their warranty is worldwide. Some local importers may get a bit difficult.

Well, all my warranty claims have been direct.  While the local importer and the dealers are excellent, all serious issues have to go to Germany anyway.

3 hours ago, egrossman said:

I have never paid duty on lenses purchased in HK and shipped to the US. My most recent purchase was a 6-bit coded Noctilux f/1 v4 from Gilbert at Fotopia back in August 2021. It was shipped by DHL.

Erik

Thanks Erik, this is very helpful and puts me at ease in transacting with Rangefinder HK. Nick

On 6/18/2022 at 7:34 AM, IkarusJohn said:

Well, all my warranty claims have been direct.  While the local importer and the dealers are excellent, all serious issues have to go to Germany anyway.

Thanks IkarusJohn, appreciate the response. I have to believe Leica will do the right thing and stand by their (quite expensive) product, even if I have to send directly to them in Germany.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Iconic35mmuser said:

Thanks Erik, this is very helpful and puts me at ease in transacting with Rangefinder HK. Nick

FYI I lived in HK for a number of years in the late 1990s. The Leica dealers there are very well established and reputable overall.

Erik

• 1 year later...