Anybody try the NiSi ND filter kit?

I haven’t seen press-on filters from NiSi, but I have used their P1 Prosories filters on my Q3. There’s a 49mm filter holder that screws on the lens (without the hood) and a range of square/rectangular filters - polariser, ND8, ND64, ND1000, soft GND, medium GND, natural light. Very easy to use if you’re comfortable with that style of filter system.

3 hours ago, AdHox said:

I haven’t seen press-on filters from NiSi, but I have used their P1 Prosories filters on my Q3. There’s a 49mm filter holder that screws on the lens (without the hood) and a range of square/rectangular filters - polariser, ND8, ND64, ND1000, soft GND, medium GND, natural light. Very easy to use if you’re comfortable with that style of filter system.

Yes I used to have a Lee setup like that, but I figured for my style a couple circular filters would be simpler. 

Nevertheless, are you happy with the quality of the NiSi stuff?

Posted (edited)

I wanted to find out so I bought the NiSi Circular 3-stop and 6-stop ND filters and also their ND Swift set, which has a 3-stop, 6-stop and 10-stop filter and several step down rings, pouch.

The good news is that the circular filters fit fine underneath the lens shade.

The Swift system version (It's a ring onto which you press on various filters, and can stack easily) is a little wider diameter than the Q's 49mm (bodes well for vignetting, none of which I experienced in any of the filters), but lines up nicely with the shape of the 28mm Summilux. The Swift ring also fits fine underneath the lens shade, but you have to remove the shade to attach the filters in this case. Fine with me—I will shoot this camera 95% of the time with the Swift ring hiding under the shade, which will be semi-permanently attached and only removed for special occasions where I need long exposure times.

I'm happy to report that the color shift is nonexistent-to-minimal on both sets. I assume that the glass is the same, but I cannot confirm. Even the 10-stop Swift filter has no color shift and sharpness is retained when zooming in to 100%.

I wanted a set of ND filters for mostly urban landscape and travel photography, partly where there is water in the shot, but also to make moving people disappear or blur out. My feeling is that I would stick with the Swift setup because of the speed, and also the only other filter I might want to use is a Black Mist 1/4, which also comes in this format. This smaller-diameter kit was only $169 USD.

Overall, a well-designed, easy to use and optically satisfying filter system.

The NiSi circular filters are a great "stealth" alternative; they are slim and black and take up less room, but like every filter in the world, a bit of a faff to screw on and off.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Pindy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I have been using Nisi filters with my Nikon setup, 100mm square  set up which has worked well.

Thinking of using on my Q2 if I get the chance, someone mentioned (Pindy) that the Q was a 49mm filter whereas I am sure that the Q2 is 52mm??

Aaargh the Cl is 52mm  and my Q2 is probably 49mm doh!!

Edited by Knarf

18 minutes ago, Knarf said:

I have been using Nisi filters with my Nikon setup, 100mm square  set up which has worked well.

Thinking of using on my Q2 if I get the chance, someone mentioned (Pindy) that the Q was a 49mm filter whereas I am sure that the Q2 is 52mm??

Aaargh the Cl is 52mm  and my Q2 is probably 49mm doh!!

The Q(x) lens is 49mm but the Nisi filter itself is 52mm and comes with step-up rings.

47 minutes ago, Knarf said:

Unfortunately I have various step up rings but not a 52mm to 85mm(?) one for use with the 100mm square NISI system.

Bit of shopping required.

No, the Q, Q2, Q3 lens is a 49mm. You need a 49 to 82 which should be much easier to find!