How rainproof or water-resistant is a M camera?

SocialKonstruct

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M6 was at Leica Solms for a repair whilst I did a trip on the River with LHSA.

It rained and the roof at Solms leaked and filled a couple of plastic boxes, full of cameras.

My M6 was returned months later with a page listing replacement parts used. No charge as it was 

not my fault.

A brand new M6 that feels wonderful.

Cheers

Philip

• Like 2

I guess you took out the battery and the memory card as soon as possible and left the camera in the box without the bottom plate, with the lens detached and without a body cap? It's the combination of electrical current and water that causes the biggest damage on electronics, although corrosion may occur also without a current. Mechanical parts will probably need some lubrication after they have dried.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mujk said:

I guess you took out the battery and the memory card as soon as possible and left the camera in the box without the bottom plate, with the lens detached and without a body cap? It's the combination of electrical current and water that causes the biggest damage on electronics, although corrosion may occur also without a current. Mechanical parts will probably need some lubrication after they have dried.

Yes thank you, all of the above, they are still sitting there and I am managing to resist the urge to try anything, although all signs of condensation in the glass now seem to be pretty much gone.   

Insurance company phoned me today to see how I want to proceed, I just asked them to leave it with me for a couple more days, I know at the very least it's going to be a trip to Wetzler for everything, even if the Camera turns on, the lens will definitely need cleaning, and I will constantly be expecting problems from the body.

22 hours ago, Boojay said:

Yes thank you, all of the above, they are still sitting there and I am managing to resist the urge to try anything, although all signs of condensation in the glass now seem to be pretty much gone.   

Insurance company phoned me today to see how I want to proceed, I just asked them to leave it with me for a couple more days, I know at the very least it's going to be a trip to Wetzler for everything, even if the Camera turns on, the lens will definitely need cleaning, and I will constantly be expecting problems from the body.

Here’s hoping the folks in Wetzlar will return your camera good as new after its dip! Maybe whilst it’s away, Leica UK will give you a loan instrument..  ..or the insurance company may pick up the tab for a rental?

• Thanks 1

Just curious, did you notice any water inside when you removed the lens and/or opened the bottom plate after the accident? Were there any droplets visible in the viewfinder/rangefinder? I don't think you can do much additional damage if you want to check the camera, as long as you don't insert the battery, don't try to force any controls that seem to be stuck and don't touch any parts you wouldn't touch under normal cirumstances (e.g. the sensor).

Several years ago I managed to splash some red wine over my M9 while being on vacation in Spain. After wiping it off, the only noticeable effect was that the power switch became very stiff to turn, so some wine must have gotten in there. I later resolved the problem by putting a very small amount of oil on the switch shaft, using the edge of a piece of paper pushed under the shutter release ring.

17 hours ago, mujk said:

Just curious, did you notice any water inside when you removed the lens and/or opened the bottom plate after the accident? Were there any droplets visible in the viewfinder/rangefinder? I don't think you can do much additional damage if you want to check the camera, as long as you don't insert the battery, don't try to force any controls that seem to be stuck and don't touch any parts you wouldn't touch under normal cirumstances (e.g. the sensor).

Several years ago I managed to splash some red wine over my M9 while being on vacation in Spain. After wiping it off, the only noticeable effect was that the power switch became very stiff to turn, so some wine must have gotten in there. I later resolved the problem by putting a very small amount of oil on the switch shaft, using the edge of a piece of paper pushed under the shutter release ring.

Yes, there were signs of water ingress pretty much everywhere I'm afraid.  I am sure any sort of splash would have been fine, but my camera and myself were fully submerged in the river although probably no longer than a few seconds, it felt like longer and there seemed to be water even inside the lens.

The fact that the camera was on at the time won't have helped.  This morning I put a battery in the camera and attached the lens to see if it would switch on, which it did.  At first I thought all was well, but series of odd messages, such as no Lens attached, camera staying switched on and only able to switch off with removal of the battery.  I also had a look at the sensor which is filthy, all sorts of rubbish on there.   

Anyway, camera and lens will be collected on Monday so we'll see how it goes.

Edited by Boojay

• 3 years later...
On 3/27/2020 at 2:46 AM, Peter Kilmister said:

Please don't use an M body in a half case in the rain. The M body is showerproof. Water runs off. Half cases can collect puddles and then short circuits might happen. The base plate covers a lot of potentially exposed electrical points. Would you want to blow the electrics?

I have used my M10-P in light rain and light snowfall without any harm. Would I use it in heavy rain? It depends if a shot is really worth the risk.

I did use my M11 monochrome in some heavy rain recently and lucky I had no issues. I only tried to protect the lens mount with my hand knowing it’s the weak point. But i would recommend you don’t do it unless you have to.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zaidanee said:

I did use my M11 monochrome in some heavy rain recently and lucky I had no issues. I only tried to protect the lens mount with my hand knowing it’s the weak point. But i would recommend you don’t do it unless you have to.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Just to let you know that you've picked up a thread that's been dormant for three years and the member you responded to, Peter Kilmister, passed away in the interim.

Pete.

On 10/28/2023 at 7:54 AM, farnz said:

Just to let you know that you've picked up a thread that's been dormant for three years and the member you responded to, Peter Kilmister, passed away in the interim.

Pete.

Thank you Pete for letting us know. May Peter Kilmister Rest in Peace.

• Like 2