How rainproof or water-resistant is a M camera?

SocialKonstruct

It has no IP rating but reports of moisture damage are outnumbered by stories of dunked cameras, near-drowned and soaked ones. The message is: in general it will be fine, provided reasonable care is taken. BTW, the only forum report of a camera being total loss through moisture was not by water splashing it, but by internal condensation.

• Like 1

The lenses also aren't sealed, but Leica states that tight tolerances and use of internal lubricants help prevent water intrusion.  Some have, however, reported light leaks around certain mounts, so that might not bode well in certain situations. In general, though, as Jaap notes, many here (myself included) have used M's over the years in inclement weather with no ill effect. Common sense of course prevails.  

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

vor 5 Stunden schrieb SocialKonstruct:

Is any M digital body rainproof or water-resistant? I assume it can survive a light rain but not a downpour.

No, my Leicas have become much more waterproof since a Leica X-U was purchased for the worst weather outbreaks🙂.
Foggy rangefinders in high humidity or due to condensation with high temperature differences are never a pleasure, especially when traveling far from home.

My M Monochrom mk1 has been soaked countless times. I try to regularly wipe the water off, keep it level (so water is less likely to run under the shutter release/speed dial), avoid sudden changes of temperature, and never put it away wet. It's holding up so far.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/25/2020 at 12:28 AM, adan said:

Rain? Downpour? Hah!

How about flying whitewash? Or snow blowing at 30mph at 25°F?

Those who've been on the forum a while will remember these from years past - My "Jackson Pollock Edition" M8 from a college initiation event (2009), and snowcapped M9s from an Ouray ice-climbing event (2014).

No problems in either case except a couple of hours cleaning the M8 and 21; in the snow, the Canon EOS 300mm f/4.0's AF failed briefly, but the M's had no problem.

You can see the Jackson Pollock "occurence" happen in the first video here. The "splat" is at about 03:02-03:04. (also see video's closing credits).

http://www.coloradoseen.com/rmi-archives/

I know and you know ---- the best photos come from the worst conditions!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Please don't use an M body in a half case in the rain. The M body is showerproof. Water runs off. Half cases can collect puddles and then short circuits might happen. The base plate covers a lot of potentially exposed electrical points. Would you want to blow the electrics?

I have used my M10-P in light rain and light snowfall without any harm. Would I use it in heavy rain? It depends if a shot is really worth the risk.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Peter Kilmister said:

Please don't use an M body in a half case in the rain. The M body is showerproof. Water runs off. Half cases can collect puddles and then short circuits might happen. The base plate covers a lot of potentially exposed electrical points. Would you want to blow the electrics?

I have used my M10-P in light rain and light snowfall without any harm. Would I use it in heavy rain? It depends if a shot is really worth the risk.

At that point I would drag my Panasonic S1 with Leica 50mm for that job!

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Rupert Greenwell said:

How very unlucky, glad that you are still here to tell the tale, I hope that your M10 recovers. 

Yes I'm totally fine Rupert, apart from feeling an absolutely clumsy stupid idiot!  However, the M10 definitely doesn't deal with water as well as Pellets😉.   I hope you are on the mend after your awful incident. 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Gobert:

Wasn’t it our respected member @Overgaard who had more water in the camera (M9/M10) than in de river Thames? 
One night drying above the central heater and it was OK again.

And then the Thames even granted him a discount of at least 75%?😀

8 hours ago, Boojay said:

Yes I'm totally fine Rupert, apart from feeling an absolutely clumsy stupid idiot!  However, the M10 definitely doesn't deal with water as well as Pellets😉.   I hope you are on the mend after your awful incident. 

Jayne, very glad that you are alright, how annoying and easily done, I don't know how bad the immersion was but I did read somewhere that covering a recently soaked camera with dried rice helps to bring out any moisture. It will be interesting to hear what the damage is as it will answer a lot of questions regarding how water resistant or not a M is.

Thanks for your kind concern regarding my accident. It has been very slow progress with a permanent headache and tinnitus amongst other side effects. I came within a whisker of not only losing a eye but being killed. This has rather changed my outlook on life,  the near fatal event has made me a lot more relaxed about things. For instance I have just started the full restoration of my parent's home, I knew that the building cost was going to be high but when I saw the quotes for the work I realised that I had underestimated that by a long way. My reaction was "oh well ,better get on with it" most people would have fainted !  I was dreading the choosing of flooring , widows, lights etc but now I am very laid back about it all .

Good luck with your camera and I imagine the lens too.

3 hours ago, Rupert Greenwell said:

Jayne, very glad that you are alright, how annoying and easily done, I don't know how bad the immersion was but I did read somewhere that covering a recently soaked camera with dried rice helps to bring out any moisture. It will be interesting to hear what the damage is as it will answer a lot of questions regarding how water resistant or not a M is.

Thanks for your kind concern regarding my accident. It has been very slow progress with a permanent headache and tinnitus amongst other side effects. I came within a whisker of not only losing a eye but being killed. This has rather changed my outlook on life,  the near fatal event has made me a lot more relaxed about things. For instance I have just started the full restoration of my parent's home, I knew that the building cost was going to be high but when I saw the quotes for the work I realised that I had underestimated that by a long way. My reaction was "oh well ,better get on with it" most people would have fainted !  I was dreading the choosing of flooring , widows, lights etc but now I am very laid back about it all .

Good luck with your camera and I imagine the lens too.

Thanks Rupert, I'm not sure it's the amount of water that's the problem, (both it and I were fully submerged for no more than a few seconds) but the state of the water, don't think the River Severn is very clean, at least it's not salt water.    The body and lens (50 Summilux) have been sitting in large sealed Tupperware boxes containing dried rice for around 36 hours now, I'm trying to ignore them for a couple of days but have spoken with my insurance company and forewarned of possible claim.   At the very least I think I'll be sending them in to Wetzler.  Anyway, all can be mended or replaced fairly easily, whereas you have had an awful time of it.

I hope your restoration project goes well, who knows you may enjoy the process.   We have done quite a bit of that over the years, including designing and building our current home though it was 23 years ago now and costs were very much lower in those days.  I have been trying to talk my husband into a kitchen update but he goes quite pale when seeing the quotes😄!

Stay safe and thanks again.

• Like 1