Noctilux 0.95 vs Summicron APO 2.0

coz

I have both and I would suggest if you would take on of them as an every day lens the 50 APO makes more sense. 

I is lighter, focuses closer 0.7M compared to the 1m of the f0.95 it has great resolving power and can be used for portrait, landscape,...

The Noctilux offers a special look but it's heavy and I mostly reach out for the 50APO and only once and a while for the f0.95 just for that look, which people tend to overuse and then get bored of it and sell their Noctilux...

• Like 2

I also have had both (since 2013), but the 50 Apo Summicron became the lens that I had on the M most of the time. 

I sold the 50 Noctilux and got the 75 Noctilux instead.

There have been instances where I have missed the 50 Noctilux 0.95 effect, but not often.

I recommend the 50 Apo Asph Summicron f/2 .

• Like 1

just from observation from reading posts here, ive read the summilux and noctlux render very similar @ 1.4 . you have a lux so you may be better to get the APO as it would show more difference in rendering 

I have a Cron 50 V5 (Mander design), and the APO 50, APO gets used most of the time, but still nice to have the V5.

Just for curiosity I bought 7 Artisans 50 1.1. not a Noclx but it is fun to use and renders nicely. but really it is not  used too often

Guess the decision ultimately  is which lens you wish to shoot with. All  these lenses take amazing pictures...

Edited by lexontario
  • Like 1

Don't shoot your Girlfriend/Wife with the Apo-50 if you value your front teeth. Now some would say Thambar is the lens for this. I say get a Noctilux because you're going to miss focus wide open anyway :P.  However, don't buy the Noctilux if you habitually sling your camera bag on one side and don't fancy developing some scoliosis.

Apo-50 *is* just the ticket for capturing your young children/nephews/nieces: it preserves them in amber.

I have both. Am planning on selling the Noctilux and keeping the Apo-50. Along with the 35 FLE it's a keeper.

Edited by kinch123
  • Like 1

I used to have both but now retained only the apo

the noct was way too heavy and huge to my liking, somehow it limited my shooting space too, dont ask but made me shot less than when i have my apo

its character is no comparable, it isnt a question which is good or better than the other, each respective has its own characters that probably comes down to your preference 

but i rather travel light with the apo, and recently adding a lux asph but still i prefer the apo 

Noctilux 0.95 was my dream lens that i wanted to own it and right now i have it already. 

the things that i dont like about this lens is the weight and unbalanced when mount on the leica M camera. 

but it's good balance when mount on Leica SL. (I have tried on Leica M10 and SL but now i use it with M6)

I have never tried APO before and many comments on the internet have mentioned the SL summilux 50 lens is good quality as APO 50 M mount. 

and for me sharpness and contrast are not the things that i like. i like the creamy bokeh and this reason make me decided to buy Noctilux. 

PS. I have tried the summicron 50 V5 as well and i think this lens is good for me. the rendering and sharpness :) 

• Like 2

Booth lenses are great BUT very different as explained. The difference is not the lens, the difference is in "what is your target" :General purpose = APO50 / (very) special color photography where " less then f2.0" is needed ou nice to have 50X.  I use the NoctiluX mainly for "Weeding" or "Nature".

3 hours ago, SiggiGun said:

Booth lenses are great BUT very different as explained. The difference is not the lens, the difference is in "what is your target" :General purpose = APO50 / (very) special color photography where " less then f2.0" is needed ou nice to have 50X.  I use the NoctiluX mainly for "Weeding" or "Nature".

Hello Siggigun,

What is WEEDING that you use your Noctilux for ?

50mm Noctilux or Apo-Summicron

As general rule for me 😉concerning Leica lenses :

one day or another, I end up with too many lenses with same focal length, keeping or sell after try.

My answer would be the TWO of course.

Those two are so different from each other that for me none is "better choice" than the other.

After trying the two, keeping them 🤞 or not but we can say then that we've tried them,

then the best thing is when people asks ( in futur for sure the same question ! ) , 🎲 you can answer the dilemma or not .

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1