Paint loss on Summicron 50m f2.0 APO

delta100

An episode of Red Dot Forum Live, on the you-tube, did, if I remember correctly, include advice regarding the metal lens caps, in general, leading to cosmetic problems on the lenses. This is not exclusive to APO 50 lenses, and is not a new problem. (As I understand it, Red Dot Forum is run by the owner/employees of Leica Store Miami.)

My take: If I want a lens and/or cap to remain a pristine collectible, I should not store the lens with the metal cap in its place, on the lens.

A parallel situation exists with at least one brand of handmade, collectible knives. A collector, who has received the knife in new condition, never stores the knife it its leather sheath, but uses acid-free paper to protectively enclose the knife and the sheath during shipping or storage. (Actually, the truly avid collector, who sees the knife an as investment, will NEVER insert the knife in the sheath, at all.)

Both felt and leather can react with the finishes on metal items, or with the metal, itself.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Would the E39 Plastic lens cap stop the problem of paint loss on the front of the lens or may be it would be too close to the front element, but you could use a UVa E39 filter to lift it way from the front glass?

On 3/12/2024 at 10:18 AM, delta100 said:

Do Leica have a problem with paint loss around the outer rim of the 50m f2.0 APO? Is it caused by the inner rim of that metal lens cap?

All the pre owned 50m APOs seem to have the same problem.

Never heard of this. Do you mean on the built-in hood?

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

56 minutes ago, delta100 said:

Yes, I mean on the built -in hood. Check out any pre owned 50 f2 APO , all the same problem. I think Leica include a plastic E39 cap now as well as the metal one?

My copy from 2014 looks pristine and the felt covering inside the metal hood cap seems to protect the built-in hood normally. Now i don't use this lens much to be honest and in day to day use i prefer the plastic 14038 lens cap that i find more handy.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 1:58 PM, RexGig0 said:

An episode of Red Dot Forum Live, on the you-tube, did, if I remember correctly, include advice regarding the metal lens caps, in general, leading to cosmetic problems on the lenses. This is not exclusive to APO 50 lenses, and is not a new problem. (As I understand it, Red Dot Forum is run by the owner/employees of Leica Store Miami.)

My take: If I want a lens and/or cap to remain a pristine collectible, I should not store the lens with the metal cap in its place, on the lens.

A parallel situation exists with at least one brand of handmade, collectible knives. A collector, who has received the knife in new condition, never stores the knife it its leather sheath, but uses acid-free paper to protectively enclose the knife and the sheath during shipping or storage. (Actually, the truly avid collector, who sees the knife an as investment, will NEVER insert the knife in the sheath, at all.)

Both felt and leather can react with the finishes on metal items, or with the metal, itself.

Very interesting and good advice. Thanks.

On 4/2/2024 at 11:42 AM, lct said:

My copy from 2014 looks pristine and the felt covering inside the metal hood cap seems to protect the built-in hood normally. Now i don't use this lens much to be honest and in day to day use i prefer the plastic 14038 lens cap that i find more handy.

Mine is also perfect. Never heard of this before. OP can you send a picture of your issue please. That would help immensely. Thanks.

Delta 100,  I had a similar issue when the 50 Apo first came on scene years ago.  I was told by my Leica dealer to simply use a E39 pinch cap vs the metal cap.  I had a Leica E39 in my parts kit bag and it found a new home on the 50 Apo.  No issues thereafter.  r/ Mark