Leica SL2 reviews

scott kirkpatrick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/13/2019 at 12:12 PM, caissa said:

Sinha made a short tutorial about AF on the SL2. All shots 100% on target.  😀🤗

https://vimeo.com/378991396

Very interesting, has anyone seen a more in-depth technical/tutorial article on fine-tuning the AF profile parameters?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rim_light said:

I did one after two days with the camera. Maybe you like to read the first impression. A follow up will come...

Many thanks for posting your real life review of a production model. Even though, brief, it was very useful and am now even more eager to get my SL2. Don't know how far it is in the queue.

• Like 1

Just now, biswasg said:

Many thanks for posting your real life review of a production model. Even though, brief, it was very useful and am now even more eager to get my SL2. Don't know how far it is in the queue.

If you are fine with just looking at pictures: These pics are solely made with the SL2 and Summicron-SL 35mm. I just didn't translate it, but pics are multilingual ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 3 Stunden schrieb rim_light:

If you are fine with just looking at pictures: These pics are solely made with the SL2 and Summicron-SL 35mm. I just didn't translate it, but pics are multilingual ;)

Could you, please, share what shutter speed you use to photograph sports, in-doors (basketball)/out-doors (football/soccer)?  Also, what was the shutter speed in the picture of the FC St. Pauli coach that you posted in the image thread, please?

For in-door sports, it may be worth getting the S1 which is around 2099 EUR with a rebate right now as a second body. It has fantastic high ISO performance that is required with fast shutter speed.

Edited by Chaemono

24 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Could you, please, share what shutter speed you use to photograph sports, in-doors (basketball)/out-doors (football/soccer)?  Also, what was the shutter speed in the picture of the FC St. Pauli coach that you posted in the image thread, please?

For in-door sports, it may be worth getting the S1 which is around 2099 EUR with a rebate right now as a second body. It has fantastic high ISO performance that is required with fast shutter speed.

The shutter speed depends on the kind of sport, the quality of the athletes, the light and the pixel count of the camera. The SL(1) could shoot 1/3 or 1/2 stop slower than the SL2. The basketball shots where made with 1/750s and you can see the blurryness of the ball in motion. At 2nd league soccer I shoot with 1/1500s and less with a camera more than 40MP.

BTW: all my pics have the full exif data included.

• Thanks 2

I know that this thread is all about SL2 reviews found on the internet and YouTube. However I’ve decided to hijack this thread and provide a sharing of my experience in handling and owning the SL2 now that I’ve managed to clock beyond 1 k shoots on the camera since having unboxed it on 21st November 2019.

I’ve been a satisfied SL user over the past 4 years with SL native lenses. I’m no professional shooter and I live and work in Singapore. I typically look forward to annual family trips overseas which I will bring my gear for photography as well. I do travel extensively for business but usually do not mix business with leisure.

On my last trip in Taiwan  over a ten days period. I gotten the chance to put my SL2 to the test. In the SL2 image post #579. The SL2 and 16-35VE was put on tripod for sunset and first lights shots. In one early morning, I left the mountain cabin at 5:30 am and drove for 15km in the dark and winding mountain roads to set up for the sunrise shot. While trying to jam in more,..I rushed off driving another 8km for bird spot changing over to 90-280. No images could be shared as it was a disappointing morning as the birds decided not to appear at the spot know as the ‘birds restaurant’. In my gear bag also contained the SL75 and M50Noct which I did not get to use both lenses during my trip. The 90-280mm came in handy when a Crested Goshawk decided to land on a Low branch in close distance while I was scouting for birds in hearby sanctuary.

I really begin to love the 47.3MPx sensor over my SL it gave more depth on IQ when the light appears correctly as seen in SL2 image post #584. The DR was no disappointment in ISO100 and balances well against noise when active post processing in LR happens. I have also grown to get use to the new customise buttons layout just over a short period of time. The only strange thing, I’m trying to get used to is no ‘Bulb’ exposure. In my previous post, I’ve shared on my experiences on SL2 over AF tracking. I ask for a camera that can do most things a photographer require and the SL2 did not disappointed me as a user. As a matter of fact I start loving the sensor more and more. Yes my M10 accompanied me. I shot astro with it over the SL2 as I did not wanted to carry more gear in the dark. I look forward over the next four years with the SL2 until the SL3 appears.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

• 2 months later...

Lesser and lesser SL2 reviews compared to SL. I did not see many in depth and good reviews from those batch of SL2 reviews released on 6th Nov 2019 with the exception of the review from Jono Slack. Most of the reviews of the batch were Writers invited by Leica to Westler before launch. With the preproduction SL2 for a few hours. Most of the reviews have pics of the same background scene and were nothing but snap shots. None of the reviewers took the camera for landscape and action shots. Yet quite a few just conclude the camera was no good for action shots just because there was no PDAF. I would truly enjoy a good in-depth review such as one from Jono and with inspiring beautiful pictures!

4 minutes ago, sillbeers15 said:

Lesser and lesser SL2 reviews compared to SL. I did not see many in depth and good reviews from those batch of SL2 reviews released on 6th Nov 2019 with the exception of the review from Jono Slack. Most of the reviews of the batch were Writers invited by Leica to Westler before launch. With the preproduction SL2 for a few hours. Most of the reviews have pics of the same background scene and were nothing but snap shots. None of the reviewers took the camera for landscape and action shots. Yet quite a few just conclude the camera was no good for action shots just because there was no PDAF. I would truly enjoy a good in-depth review such as one from Jono and with inspiring beautiful pictures!

Why? Why would you need a review to make up your mind? I don’t get that. Is that because people don’t invest anymore in a good relation with a trustworthy Leica store? Am I old school in this? Or do you just like looking at the pictures? We have a thread here for that?

On 3/14/2020 at 3:24 PM, otto.f said:

Why? Why would you need a review to make up your mind? I don’t get that. Is that because people don’t invest anymore in a good relation with a trustworthy Leica store? Am I old school in this? Or do you just like looking at the pictures? We have a thread here for that?

I have a good relationship with my local Leica Store and I have taken delivery of SL2 last Nov receiving it as first batch available.

I enjoy reading a good review (with some depth experiences and thoughts) with beautiful pictures to inspire. Just as standard of car reviews can differ greatly. Some are just a plain waste of time reading.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/14/2020 at 8:24 AM, otto.f said:

There are (few) exceptions but usually Leica Store’s people don’t know much about the SL/SL2. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2020 at 3:13 PM, SocialKonstruct said:

Why procure a second one? :o Very pricey zoom...

Sorry about the long delay in response. It's pricey, true. I feel it's worth it though because it's my workhorse for clients.

The first one is a bit worked to death. Screws were loose. So while it still did the job well, I may have to send it in for re-calibration. Now, its staying with me because of the Covid 19.