Different color between DNG and JPG

kuzco9x

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just firgure out that my Leica M10, the DNG files opened and exported to JPG by photoshop are always brighter and less contrast than the original JPG generated by M10 body.
Is there something wrong?

This is the jpg exported from dng.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And this is original jpg by body

It might be useful to understand the difference between a RAW-file and a JPG-file. Some think that the in-camera processed JPG is very nice and they do no processing on their computers any more. But others (me included) stopped to take JPGs. The camera takes only the DNG (the RAW-file). I could gladly explain why I decided that a few years ago. In your post you did not say if you use a processing programme on your computer or not.

By the way: Welcome here and enjoy your M10.

Edited by M10 for me
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is a JPG like colour output ?? 😕 JPG is just a standarized compressed (lossy) file format. The decisions about the colours are made by the camera maker and implemented in the camera. A DNG is (more or less) an unmodified full-data raw output, which is only assigned its colour in the conversion by the software in the computer, handing full control to the user.

If you want to understand something about colour and digital photography I can recommend reading “Real World Colour Management “ by Fraser et al. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

What is a JPG like colour output ?? 😕 JPG is just a standarized compressed (lossy) file format. The decisions about the colours are made by the camera maker and implemented in the camera. A DNG is (more or less) an unmodified full-data raw output, which is only assigned its colour in the conversion by the software in the computer, handing full control to the user.

If you want to understand something about colour and digital photography I can recommend reading “Real World Colour Management “ by Fraser et al. 

What I mean is that the DxO can convert the DNG file to jpg file with its colour nearly to the camera direct jpg output file. 

• Like 1

Depends on the jpg settings in the camera. . You are right : Any raw converter can be tweaked to give something resembling the camera output. Profiles, default setting, etc. It is quite possible that some raw converters will be similar to the taste of the designer of the camera straight out of the box.

• Like 1

I am having the same issue with my m10-p, my first Leica camera, as well. I do like the JPG from the camera so much but I love to shoot RAW because it contains more information. However, when I switch the colours of the image into B/W in LR (there is no camera's colour profile, unlike my A7RIII, don't know why), it looks little bit brighter and more grainy even without any other adjustments.

I could not overcome this problem, so I shoot both DNG+JPG and process both files saperately for colour images and B/W (just cropped and corrected levels). 🙁

Take your pick, best read them all and distill your own favourite workflow from them.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/how-to/convert-photo-black-white.html

https://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-convert-photos-to-black-and-white-in-lightroom/

https://layersmagazine.com/black-white-lightroom.html

https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/tutorials/index.php/2011/12/black-and-white-conversion-in-lightroom/

Postprocessing to a high standard is not being content with pre-cooked settings and presets, but learning and understanding  the use of your postprocessing program.. Above all, do not assume that Lightroom  or, for that matter, your camera's jpg engine, can automastically replace your creativity. It cannot; it is just a tool.
Books by authors like Scott Kelby and Martin Evening (and others) will be helpful.

• Like 1

Just an observation: in my reading the OP asks about two different ways of getting the jpg... giving two different jpg looks (not about jpg vs raw).

And I also find this question interesting as one could assume that the jpg guys would be in total control of this jpg «pre-cooking» output no matter what platform is being used.

There is no right or wrong between outputs, the only thing you can get wrong between either JPEG or RAW is to NOT have an opinion on what you prefer. If you leave it to some back office techie who writes code for Leica to dictate how your pictures look in JPEG format you are DOOMED to having his tastes and not your own!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, 250swb said:

8 hours ago, Stein K S said:

Just an observation: in my reading the OP asks about two different ways of getting the jpg... giving two different jpg looks (not about jpg vs raw).

And I also find this question interesting as one could assume that the jpg guys would be in total control of this jpg «pre-cooking» output no matter what platform is being used.

If we are discussing the M10 then JPEG rendering has options in the menu: contrast, sharpness, saturation or monochrome.

• 5 weeks later...

For me there are two points in shooting in RAW (DNG in this case). The first is that the files contain more information than JPG files so I have more to play with in post processing and though they will eventually still end up as JPG images, I still have more latitude during the post processing process. The second is that if the file is converted in camera to JPG the camera decides parameters like color saturation and tone  - not me. I prefer to do that myself in post. (Related points I know).
So no there is nothing wrong with your camera. RAW files directly out of camera always look different from JPGs of the same image directly from the camera. Which is rather the point. Truth is when I compare identical images RAW and JPG, straight from camera the RAW files frequently look flatter and less interesting than the JPG files. Until I do my post processing after which  they look far better.

Edited by peterm1_Leica