Leica M-D or M10-D?

littlelio

I'm not @tomconte

just happy modest user of M-D (262) and plain M10 for many years, I can say that I understand Tom,

M-D is so simple with enough "less" features to satisfy easy photographing

M10-D added features are "gimmicks" for me, like false wind-on lever or programming with smartphone (which I don't use), thinner body is good thing, less so thinner battery,

but these added features can be used creatively by most people choosing M10-D

• Like 3

5 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

I'm not @tomconte

......I can say that I understand Tom...(the)...M-D is so simple...

I'm not tomconte either but I expect he was alluding to the extraordinary (for a digital camera) simplicity of the M-D as mentioned by Arnaud above.

Effectively the only contols/parameters which can be set by the photographer on an M-D body are ISO and shutter-speed. Yes; there is a setting for self-timer and the wheel-thing on the rear-right of the top-plate can be used to control +/- exposure if the body is ever set to Automatic (Heaven Forfend!) but that's it.

As such shooting with the M-D is simply a case of selecting ISO, Shutter-speed, Aperture and Focus. Digital snapping with a Leica M could hardly be more basic.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2

The wifi is very unreliable and buggy. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I can eat up a lot of time waiting for connection etc.

I have found the it works best if you have a small SD card because it seems to need to do a lot of indexing every time you open the app and you can't control anything until it is done. The more photos on the card the longer it takes.

Unfortunately that doesn't suit my style of shooting because I use the biggest SD card that works which is 512GB and have my Lightroom and Capture one catalogue directly on the card and work from that. I periodically back up the SD card as well.

Wha this means for me at least is that the wifi is basically useless and not something I can rely on. Which is a pity because its very useful to be able to hand the phone to say a creative director to view the images as you shoot them.

• Like 1

I have an M11 for when I want to shoot like a digicammer.

What I wanted from the M10-D was an escape.  The M-D has four controls, period.  The M10-D has ... many. And you can cheat on yourself. You can open Fotos and use liveview. You can atttach a visoflex 020 and it's just like any other digital M.

So the choice of which to keep was easy.

Oh and the battery on the M-D is far better.

• Like 1