M10 - calibration

LikesLife

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry to say, but the rangefinder of my lovely M10 is Not adaquately calibrated. This happened 2 times within a half year and honestly I do Not know why this happened. No bumps, no rough handling during change of lenses. Any comments/ suggestions to avoid it?

in addition, is it possible to easily adjust infinity calibration by oneself?

thx a lot! Michael 

Michael,

You can DIY with M10 and 2mm Hex key, but beware.

The warranty may fall.

As the trouble comes more than one time, the thing can happen also after Your DIY calibration.

I suggest that this problem sorted out by Leica to have peace of mind.

Maybe (I hope) they will cure the cause of the problem.

vor 26 Minuten schrieb a.noctilux:

Michael,

You can DIY with M10 and 2mm Hex key, but beware.

The warranty may fall.

As the trouble comes more than one time, the thing can happen also after Your DIY calibration.

I suggest that this problem sorted out by Leica to have peace of mind.

Maybe (I hope) they will cure the cause of the problem.

What could void the warranty?

15 minutes ago, SMAL said:

What could void the warranty?

By accident the 2mm key can fall inside and shutter blind or what else can suffer 🤬...

Or if the "DIY calibration" by 2mm Hex key slips...

Well, I think that with cautious, good quality 2mm Hex key and something to protect the chamber, this DIY can be done with small risk.

😏With LV or Visoflex this DIY calibration is even much easier than M9 if the lens used IS calibrated or within tolerance.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Thanks 1

If your rangefinder truly went out of alignment twice in 6 months (without bumps, etc) you should 100% send the camera to Leica to resolve.

Chances are a faulty component of the rangefinder that will need to be replaced, not adjusted.

This recommendation comes directly from a Leica engineer in Jersey.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

My M240 would not give me perfectly sharp focus, even with my new 50mm Summicron and 28mm Elmarit. My 35mm Summicron, 50mm Summilux and 75mm Summilux were also less than sharp.

I then read a very long thread on this site and a Julian Thomson provided very detailed explanation of how to adjust the rangefinder.  After digesting the clear explanation, I took to fine tuning my camera, especially to make sure I can shoot wide open on my newer lenses and get crisp images.

I'm very happy to report that I only needed very gentle nudges on the roller cam with a 2mm allen key and the focus is now so sharp. I could not get my older lenses as sharp so I concluded that these ones will need to be calibrated with a collimator, which I do not own.

Was the whole experience scary? Was I concerned that I may break something? The truth is I was not. I nudged the allen key gently and reshoot to check if I had overshot or not. Took a few iterations but it was not as big a worry that some have made it out to be.

Hope this will help others with crappy Leica RF.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by HenryGoh
  • Like 1