second woe with the 35mm Summilux FLE

Eastgreenlander

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just to clarify things because it is difficult to know exactly what is happening with your lens, it is normal for this lens to remove the hood before unscrewing or adding a filter. 

Yes, I think the B+W lensfilter is fine for continued use with this lens. The lenshood was the problem because it was evidently been tighten too hard on the lens somehow. I need to clean out the lenshood threads on the lens.

• Like 1

I posted on this years ago.

The early 35 Summilux FLE lenses did indeed not allow B+W (and some other third-party) filters to fit under the hood. There is a barely perceptible overhang of almost all third-party filters over the edge of the lens barrel.

There was an unannounced change in the design of the hood by Leica  later on which improved clearance for third-party filters. Leica Australia replaced mine out of warranty for no cost once I demonstrated the problem - they didn't initially believe me.  The hood part number did NOT change.  I suspect your filter was jammed into the hood so the lens barrel gave way first.

You will need to buy a new lens hood (same part number) if you want to use non-Leica filters.

Very interesting. Maybe cheaper to buy a "slim" filter.

Yes, I think the B+W lensfilter is fine for continued use with this lens. The lenshood was the problem because it was evidently been tighten too hard on the lens somehow. I need to clean out the lenshood threads on the lens.

Jaap's suggestion to put a tiny dot of vaseline on the thread should do the trick. This lens doesn't have the most robust build quality (there are posts here from one or two users that have had this lens start to come apart) so you don't want the hood threads to routinely bind and put any torque on the lens barrel construction.

• Like 1

Very interesting. Maybe cheaper to buy a "slim" filter.

Yes, almost certainly cheaper than buying a new hood. However, if you contact Leica and explain the situation there is a reasonable chance they will swap it. In my experience, Leica will often stand behind their products if there is some kind of design weakness, even if the product is out of warranty.

• Like 2

Even cheaper to stop using a UV filter and keep the hood mounted. That’s how I use my M lenses, without protective, mechanical or IQ concerns.

Jeff

I used to not use protective filters on Leica M lenses until I, a few years back, accidentally made a scratch on the front element of my 24mm summilux. I was out shooting when noticed a little dust on the lens. I quickly and lightly brushed of the dust. When I came home I noticed that I had made visible scratches on the front element. Not a fun moment. Luckily I does not show op on images.

B+W filter is still smaller then my old Leica UVa I have mounted on my trusty 28mm summicron asph. Both are 46mm filters. BTW I wish Leica had continued the plastic hoods on their newer lenses. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Oh no. I was just mounting the lens hood back on the lens and I just noticed that the front of the lens is completely loose, it can be turned :-( looks like I need to send it back to Leica for repair. I am very unhappy about this. Shipping from Greenland is slooooow. Once it is fixed, I shall sell this lens. I not happy about the quality. And I find it likely that Leica will charge me for this repair.

Why don't you just try and  screw it into place? I bet that is what Leica would do. The mount is just series of precision-milled rings that can be dismantled and assembled fairly easily.  (But not the FLE part, deep inside ;) ) The optical parts are usually locked into a separate cell. Maybe there is even a little locking screw somewhere that might have come loose. I cannot recall the number of lenses that I have tightened up over the years, of all brands, but it has become rather routine with me. 

The Summicron 40-C is a regular customer. It has a ring locking the optical cell to the mount, which has a tendency to work loose. I have even got a special spanner to twist it tight again.

• Like 1

Why don't you just try and  screw it into place? I bet that is what Leica would do. The mount is just series of precision-milled rings that can be dismantled and assembled fairly easily.  (But not the FLE part, deep inside ;) ) The optical parts are usually locked into a separate cell. Maybe there is even a little locking screw somewhere that might have come loose. I cannot recall the number of lenses that I have tightened up over the years, of all brands, but it has become rather routine with me. 

The Summicron 40-C is a regular customer. It has a ring locking the optical cell to the mount, which has a tendency to work loose. I have even got a special spanner to twist it tight again.

I tried to screw in place but it but it just keeps turning beyond "the end"... I dont know how to explain this. I will post a video. It will be up in a few minutes

I tried to screw in place but it but it just keeps turning beyond "the end"... I dont know how to explain this. I will post a video. It will be up in a few minutes

I can't explain what is going on with the end of the lens itself (does that tighten to a stop?) but the loose hood is because the thread is missing the very thin rubber ring that should be there.

Edited by wattsy

I can't explain what is going on with the end of the lens itself (does that tighten to a stop?) but the loose hood is because the thread is missing the very thin rubber ring that should be there.

The loose hood is a result of me turning the front of the lens too much, so the thread to the lenshood is below, or inside, the lens.

The loose hood is a result of me turning the front of the lens too much, so the thread to the lenshood is below, or inside, the lens.

Ok, but it is probably also missing the rubber ring that effectively holds the hood in place. I think Jaap is right, this lens might need some professional help.

• Like 2

Ok, but it is probably also missing the rubber ring that effectively holds the hood in place. I think Jaap is right, this lens might need some professional help.

Yes I know. I am frustrated and sad about it.  I spent two years saving up to a used minty 35mm summilux FLE. Now I have to pay additional costs as well a shipping cost. Not cheap sending stuff by air from Greenland. Well I better get it over with. Thank for the help and remarks and have a good day  :)

• Like 1