Leica M10 M-D

colint544

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Peter, I salute you for at least trying to use your M equipment for a paid job!

Well thanks Colin, I know you get it, but my remarks were not in anyway against the M system that I do truly love, it's just when photography is your "day job" it's a good idea to choose the tools that best match the task in hand.

Back in the days when I worked fashion photography the M2 & 3's I had then were great cameras, small, fast, intimate and very unobtrusive if you were working on location, but they rarely were the choice if it was a studio shoot......Mostly models didn't move around that quickly for a shot/scene so critical focus was easy to achieve, ( and my eyesight was a hell of a lot better too ! ), but on the doc' I mentioned the subjects were hyper kids running all over the place in truly less than perfect lighting conditions, and with wide apertures RF focusing was a distinct challenge, one that I failed on with the M240's too often. The Q was handy of course with it's AF and fast aperture, but it limited me if I wanted to zoom in and grab a quick CU with LF compression on the fly, the GH4 did save my arse now and again but mainly that was rigged for video with PL mount S16 lenses that obviously were not AF so I was left scrambling to make the best of my bad stills equipment choices.

Luckily the shoot was primarily filming, with the stills shot for publicity purposes for the doc' but I did kick myself for that mistake and I won't do that again no matter how much I do love the M's!

But back to the subject, your original post........yes again I agree with you that the suggested M10-MD-M would be annoyingly desirable. I love how Leica has the balls to create such basic camera tools, the MM's and the MD's. If they'd open up ala carte for such cameras that would be the ticket, I'd minus offered features except for the much desired .58 VF and have the camera as bare boned and plain as possible.

Cheers!

Peter, I completely agree with you. I'm pretty passionate about the M system, and my Ms are by far my favourite cameras. I started as a photographer in the 1990s, using Nikon FM2 SLRs, manual focus lenses, and film. I had a Leica M6, and very occasionally used that if it was for something safe, like a static portrait. But as autofocus and digital became the norm, expectations changed. Every picture was expected to be perfectly focussed.

Back in 2011, I was sent to Kenya, to photograph the plight of the people in the slums of Mathare and Korogocho, for the charity Concern Worldwide. I had recently taken delivery of a Leica M9-P, and I was pretty impressed with it. It meant that, for the first time, I could use my Leica lenses on a digital camera. 

I packed the M9-P, 35mm Summilux, and my Canon EOS 5D mk2 plus 50mm and 16-35mm Canon lenses. I thought I'd see how far I could get using the Leica. That didn't last long. I photographed this one woman, in her home. She had painted a sign on her front door, saying all were welcome (even witch doctors), despite being under threat from all kinds of people. Her children had all died, and she herself was recovering from malaria. I used the Leica for that shot (I attach it here), but I knew I wouldn't be able to repeat these pictures.

I had to keep checking the screen of the Leica to make sure pictures were sharp and properly exposed. Sometimes they weren't. It was slowing me down, and the reporter I was with was in a hurry. We were trying to pack a lot in, and we had to keep moving because it was too dangerous to stay in one place, so we were told. There was just no time. I put the Leica away, and switched to the Canon. I was able to work so much quicker with the Canon because I completely trusted the autofocus and exposure. It nailed the shot every time. 

So yes, I understand how it would have been for you. You use the best tool for the job. But for my personal work, I'd pick the Leica M system every time.

Forgot to attach the photo

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

..............but back to subject, if you'd had a MD of that job you've have been well screwed because you wouldn't have been able to check focus and exposure during the shoot so that by extension really makes a MD Leica something that most if not all professional photographers wouldn't dream of taking on a paying assignment doesn't it?

For personal work, for just the joy of using camera that tests your photographic abilities without the crutch of instant verification and correction, sure the MD's do all of that rather like a film camera, ( remember those? ), does........

I recently talked a producer into shooting a short dramatic feature on film rather than on digital, it was great to pull my S16 Aaton kits out again and shoot in a way that is so rare these days. Everyone loved the experience, for some it was their first time with "real" film. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would have been screwed for sure. I think that's one of the things with a Leica M. You really have to learn it. I take my hat off to people like you who used them professionally. 

I've been using an M for 20 years now, but really just for personal work. I like how it's a compact, portable camera, and you can put incredible lenses on it. It's great for travelling with. My success rate with it is not as good as with a DSLR, but if it's personal work, that doesn't matter. Nobody is going to shout at me for not getting the shot. 

But when it all comes together with an M, you have a picture you feel you put your heart and soul into. Especially if it was shot on film. I think that's why the idea of an M10 M-D Monochrom appeals - because it really is distilling the essence of a digital M into the most concentrated form possible.

Edited by colint544

Almost bought a M-D but got the M10 instead. Better all around camera, to be sure.

I NEVER look at the screen when shooting - got the Leica half case which covers it up. However, I do like the status screen, and there is that odd time (too often I am afraid) when one's wife just has to see the image you have just taken - of her. Even though she looks perfect 100% of the time!

• Like 3

Don't know why M-D (typ 262) is so heavy as without screen is a few bit heavier than M (typ 240).

weighted mine no strap :

M-D (typ 262) 686g or 591g without battery nor SD card (in this case not really useful ! )

while M (typ 240) 682g or 587g (no battery, no SD card)

comparing to

M10 at 648g or 582g (no battery, no SD card)

• Like 2

I was in advanced discussions with Leica about an M-D based Monochrom as the LHSA Special Edition for our 50th anniversary. I had specced the design and had approved the first renderings. Then came the M10 and that killed it.

We switched to the APO 50/2 ASPH and that did pretty well!

• Like 1

I suppose you could. Certainly there were a few people saying that when the M-D 262 model came out a couple of years ago. You can also remove the battery from your MP film camera and pretend it’s an MA. Heard that one a lot too.

When you think about it, you could go as far down that road as you like. There’s no limit to what you could pretend.

I had the M262 and now the M10 - not sure how well they would perform with the battery removed.

• 2 weeks later...

An M10-D could have built-in WiFi like the ordinary M10, if they found a way to connect to a WiFi network without a back screen. This would make it possible to view the pictures on a phone in case we for some reason want to. Together with an electronic shutter (fast/silent), this would be a camera high on my wish list.