Leica M10 Zagato Edition

colint544

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Zagato M10:

Saw it, Luv it, bought it!!

Looks are of course subjective but to me, the design is ultra modern. I no longer need a thumbs up or an additional grip on this camera to hold it comfortably for long periods due to the ever so slightly curved bump on the grip section.

I'm happy to report that the body is extremely light, however the lens is fully built of metal including the focussing tab and a generous sized (thicker than normal) lens hood which does make the lens feel heavy paired with this light body. The standard 35 lux isn't super light to begin with, but in my hands, the Zagato 35 lux "feels" heftier.

The base plate has the usual screw latch on one end, but on the other end it is missing the hole to fit in the metal tab, it's a cleaner design and a seamless look. 

ISO and SS dials have been tweaked slightly with an indent on top. What surprised me the most was finding out the ISO dial is much thinner and will not pop up no matter how much I tried. The ISO dial does not lock!? I don't know why, but this gave me much joy - this, and the fact that the Leica Logo seems to be crafted from Titanium.

• Like 7

Zagato M10:

Saw it, Luv it, bought it!!

Looks are of course subjective but to me, the design is ultra modern. I no longer need a thumbs up or an additional grip on this camera to hold it comfortably for long periods due to the ever so slightly curved bump on the grip section.

I'm happy to report that the body is extremely light, however the lens is fully built of metal including the focussing tab and a generous sized (thicker than normal) lens hood which does make the lens feel heavy paired with this light body. The standard 35 lux isn't super light to begin with, but in my hands, the Zagato 35 lux "feels" heftier.

The base plate has the usual screw latch on one end, but on the other end it is missing the hole to fit in the metal tab, it's a cleaner design and a seamless look. 

ISO and SS dials have been tweaked slightly with an indent on top. What surprised me the most was finding out the ISO dial is much thinner and will not pop up no matter how much I tried. The ISO dial does not lock!? I don't know why, but this gave me much joy - this, and the fact that the Leica Logo seems to be crafted from Titanium.

Congratulations! And thank you for the first 'hands on'-review.

Aluminium body, no focus button, no frame selector, no flash shoe,.. really tempting!

The lens although, is (IMO) not really an improvement.

• Like 3

Sorry to burst your bubble but the Leica logo is unfinished. If you were to strip the paint from your red dots, you will arrive at exactly the same as provided on the Zagato.

Ah ok, I guess I'm too used to referencing this finish on my watches and car parts and automatically assumed as it does really look the part!

This camera is obviously in need of a $200,000 albino elephant hide camera bag to transport it in.  B)

Hrm...come to think of it, I do have an albino Himalayan Hermes crocodile bag that would suit well! All thats needed are the foam inserts from B&H!

Congratulations! And thank you for the first 'hands on'-review.

Aluminium body, no focus button, no frame selector, no flash shoe,.. really tempting!

The lens although, is (IMO) not really an improvement.

The lens does look aesthetically good, but functionally, I do agree with you if you want to use a circular polarizer. The hood's design inhibits this due to the threads being more recessed and the hood more pronounced in length and thickness. I can probably be done, but it would be a PITA to install and remove due to the hood's new design.

I though the no focus button would be an issue for me since I do use that from time to time. But the scroll wheel can be programmed to do this same function.

• Like 1

I’d prefer brass over aluminium anytime for my M though...

Sturdier and more solid with bumps

Why 'sturdier and more solid with bumps'? It's basically a collectors item. It's not meant to be taken out-of-the-box / used. They could also have used papier-mâché.

Well, to me it is a bit of an eyesore - so I would not even open the box. ;) Which is a good thing - those corrugations look like they will dent very easily.

And that’s entirely fair enough. Much like the M60, you saw no point in a screenless camera. I have no difficulty at all with people not liking the aesthetic or functional idea behind such special editions.

But the continual complaining that making such editions (which do ultimately seem to sell, whether to users or collectors) deflects resources from repairs or developments of new cameras gets a bit old. Leica runs development teams on new cameras - the Q team, the M digital team and the SL team seem to have been completely independent. And we know CS is a separate business unit.

The comment that the cameras are not meant to be used at all is very tired. Worse, it has that reverse snobbery whiff to it. We all spend “more than the average family car cost” on our Leicas. No one should kid themselves that because they have a standard Leica model, second hand, an older film M or any other camera carrying the red dot that they enjoy some moral superiority over others who can afford and enjoy the special editions.

A suprising number get used forwhat was intended - taking pictures. Excuse the rant. I have nothing against collectors - if that’s what they want to do, that’s fine. I doubt every special edition carries a profit. But having owned a special edition, I loved using it (couldn’t justify keeping it), the idea that such cameras don’t get used and could be papier mache or just an empty box has that moral superiority I find insulting.

John

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 3

I want one so bad I'm willing to travel anywhere to get it but so far all the shops I've emailed to told me it's sold out. Anyone have any ideas how may I buy one?

Thank you in advance!

joonas,

I think Glazer's camera in Seattle still has theirs for sale.

Ask for Mark.

Michael

Edited by michaelcole
  • Like 1

And that’s entirely fair enough. Much like the M60, you saw no point in a screenless camera. I have no difficulty at all with people not liking the aesthetic or functional idea behind such special editions.

But the continual complaining that making such editions (which do ultimately seem to sell, whether to users or collectors) deflects resources from repairs or developments of new cameras gets a bit old. Leica runs development teams on new cameras - the Q team, the M digital team and the SL team seem to have been completely independent. And we know CS is a separate business unit.

The comment that the cameras are not meant to be used at all is very tired. Worse, it has that reverse snobbery whiff to it. We all spend “more than the average family car cost” on our Leicas. No one should kid themselves that because they have a standard Leica model, second hand, an older film M or any other camera carrying the red dot that they enjoy some moral superiority over others who can afford and enjoy the special editions.

A suprising number get used forwhat was intended - taking pictures. Excuse the rant. I have nothing against collectors - if that’s what they want to do, that’s fine. I doubt every special edition carries a profit. But having owned a special edition, I loved using it (couldn’t justify keeping it), the idea that such cameras don’t get used and could be papier mache or just an empty box has that moral superiority I find insulting.

John

i have no problem with special editions -I'm happy for Leica that they turn a profit for them. In fact I still regret not buying an M6J set when I got offered one at a discount, I would have gained a decent amount of money on it. :(

And I still fail to see the point of a screenless camera. :D My loss, i suppose. :(

Zagato version with a non-red Leica dot...? Thought that was impossible after the «reinforced» total Leica company brand guidelines the latter years (i.e. after the seemingly internal turbulence when Leica camera started to offer the black dot in the days of the M8).

Good work Zagato!