What are the must have 2 lenses with the M10?

thedwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/25/2018 at 10:50 PM, thedwp said:

I've been in love with my Q for over a year now, and am ready to make the leap to the M10. I shoot mostly street and some candid/portrait but no in studio work. I love the lens on the Q....so my initial thoughts were a 28mm and a 50mm....

{snip}

For me, the two essential focal lengths for any M are a 50mm and a 35mm. Sometimes I pair one or the other with a 75 or 90, and sometimes carry the Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm (or WATE) instead, but I'd say my M(s) have either a 50 or a 35 lens on them more than 90% of the time. 

Exactly which lenses is a matter of personal preference and available funds. My 50mm is a current series Summicron-M 50mm and my 35mm is a lovely old Summilux 35mm v2 from about 1972, which I've had coded. I bought both of them second hand; took ages to find the 'Lux in the shape I wanted AND compatible with the digital Ms AND at a price I was willing to pay for it. It's probably my favorite lens for general shooting, but I actually use the 50 more of the time. 

28mm is nice if you have gotten used to that as a general use lens, but it always seems a little wide for my druthers and general shooting. I tend to pair up the 35 with the Summarit-M 75 more of the time, or just use the 50 and nothing else. 

Pass the pitcher.  I'll fill my glass and try my hand at this eternal question...

I find that my way of shooting can change from one expedition to the next.  I shot at a state fair last summer using two CLs with 18 and 23mm lenses (28 and 35-eff, essentially).  I had a 60 mm with me (90-eff) and only used it for some sports shots where I couldn't get very close.  This was in a workshop run by William Snyder (Miami Herald editor and now RIT prof) who believed strongly in getting close with a wide angle, shooting wide open for background relief.  It seemed to work.  That's a recommendation that I've heard is offered elsewhere, for example by Peter Turnley.  Snyder, in fact preferred a 24mm focal length for his personal work, and there are three 24's available for the M's, all good.  I like the 24/2.8, an older lens, but available coded.  You need an external viewfinder, but I'm happy using it with the VF20, even on my M10-D.

A different setting -- I'm about to take a short Christmas trip with the whole family.  Photography will be tolerated only I am quick about it.  I think two bodies -- M10-D with the newest 28/2.8 and M10 with an SC 50-APO, should do everything that I will find time for.  But I will bring along an SC75 APO, just in case, and because I haven't used it in a while. 

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

In the end this is so subjective I don't believe there is any single "right" answer, only what works for the individual.  

Though I love the 35 lux ASPH FLE I seem to gravitate to my  50 LUX ASPH.  The 50 is ever so slightly more intimate than the 35, also I wear eyeglasses and find it easier to see the frame lines - and thus am able spot "incoming" subjects.    For what it's worth, I own the Tri-Elmar 16-18-21, the Super Elmar 21, the 35Lux ASPH and 3 of the 50s - Lux, APO Cron and Noctilux.  But my every day carry remains the 50 Lux.

In any case happy holidays to all.

I have many m lenses but i would like to suggest strongly the idea to have two opposite kind of lenses but both with a particular and strong character  . summaron 28mm and a 50mm  noctilux f0,95 . I believe is a good combination .  I have both and i like too much how easy is to carry an m body with the suumaron when you like to travel light and have the possibility to put them in your pocket. without mention  the wonderfull results you can have using the noctilux .  The only limitation of summary and nocti is the minimal distance of focusing : 1 meter.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fabior said:

I have many m lenses but i would like to suggest strongly the idea to have two opposite kind of lenses but both with a particular and strong character  . summaron 28mm and a 50mm  noctilux f0,95 . I believe is a good combination .  I have both and i like too much how easy is to carry an m body with the suumaron when you like to travel light and have the possibility to put them in your pocket. without mention  the wonderfull results you can have using the noctilux .  The only limitation of summary and nocti is the minimal distance of focusing : 1 meter.

I also own the current Noctilux 50mm f0.95. Unless I'm expect to shoot in low light or want to use an ND filter, I prefer to use my Summilux 50mm. Much less weight and bulk, but very sharp and contrast, even at f1.4. For vacation and travel photography Summicrons are a great option - less weight, smaller size, less dollars at risk for accidents or theft.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My start, with Leica, was to decide I really liked a particular pre-owned Leica-M Summilix 50mm ASPH, but did not care for the pre-owned M9 body, upon which it was mounted. I tried handling a Type 240, which was noticeably better, but decided to buy a new M10, for the better viewfinder. (I wear eyeglasses.) So, must-have lens #1 was/is the 50 Summilux ASPH.

A compact lens seemed to be a good idea, and I already favored 35mm, on SLRs, so, I bought a tiny pre-owned 35/3.5 Summaron. Most of these were LTM, but I got a nice sample of the M-mount, so no adapter is necessary.

35mm and 50mm are, indeed, somewhat close in focal length, but I find that they see the world differently enough, and, in the case of these two, one is much more compact than the other.

On 12/21/2018 at 1:49 AM, 6bit said:

35/1.4 and 75/2.4 with 21/3.4 for wides.

Going 35/2 would be good too, but I really like f/1.4 for portraits (I own both).

I just shot a friend's family reunion and brought my M10 with 35/2, 75/2 and a 21/3.4. I also had my Monochrom with a 50/2. I ended up just using the 35/2 and 75/2 for everything. It is a wonderful working combo.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 8:23 AM, RexGig0 said:

... 35mm and 50mm are, indeed, somewhat close in focal length, but I find that they see the world differently enough, and, in the case of these two, one is much more compact than the other.

So true. I like the 35/2 for nearly everything on my M10. I only go to another lens if I have a reason. But on my Monochrom, I like the 50 Summicron. It is my "honest, that is the way it was" camera/lens combo.

• Like 1

Really depends on what you are shooting and your personal preference. Over the years I find myself using the 35/1.4 and WATE for landscape and travel, and 35/1.4 and 28/2.8 for family gatherings and general indoors. Occasionally I would use the 75/1.4 or 50/1.0 for portraits. The 50/1.4 is rarely used. The longer focus lengths are used quite a bit less than the shorter ones. So for me, if I can only have two lenses I would pick the 35/1.4 and the WATE or the 24 Elmarit.

Alan

Edited by colorflow

Am 26.1.2018 um 07:50 schrieb thedwp:

any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

my advice... the rangefinder and optical finder works very will with focal lengths 28/35/50. Wider lenses work fine but you need additional viewfinder.

If you prefer 28 or 35 depends on your needs and taste.

Only you know if you need f1.4 or not.

I have owned many M-lenses for many many years. My choice now is f2.0 for 50mm (since I find it too hard to focus precisly anything faster and I find DOF on a 50/2.0 shallow enough. My low light lens is a 35/1.4, but 80% I use the 35/2.0. For some reason I really like the Summicrons.

I also believe on the M small lenses make sense.

My UW is a 21/3.4.

If you are fine with their minimum focus distance and f2.5 the Summarits are also very nice lenses with great bokeh, small and very flare resistant, even without hood.

vor 50 Minuten schrieb Paul Verrips:

Just start with one lens like 28 or 35 and see if you need a second lens. 

I had to laugh about that. But when I think it over twice then I must say that you are right.

The reality might be a bit different: It unfortunately works just the other way round: You think that you are strongly missing a focal length and when you have it you realize that you could have done with either of the 2.

Edited by Alex U.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Alex U. said:

You think that you are strongly missing a focal length and when you have it you realize that you could have done with either of the 2.

I can usually find a way to make use of any of my lenses in any situation. So when I change a lens, it’s often just for fun. 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have 21/35/50/90. Started with the 50 as my preference, 2 years later that changed to 35.

I never use the 90,  sometimes the 50 and the 21 (max. 10 photos a year per lens) and i shoot about 50/55 rolls of 36 per year. 

I'm must say i'm a diehard one camera/one lens photographer and travel light is my motto. So maybe i'm not the average.

So, i learned by experience that there is easily bought to many or to quick another lens. (That is no offence to anyone).

• Like 2

After buying my first Leica about a year ago, my most used lenses were the Summicron 35 followed by the Summicron 75. A distant third was my Summilux 50.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Edited by budjames
  • Like 1