What are the must have 2 lenses with the M10?

thedwp

I think so much depends on what sort of post you want to do. As much as I love the new designs, there is a charm to the rendering of older glass that I like straight out of the camera without feeling the need to “downgrade” the out of camera image from a modern lens. Hence my preference for a lens with the same focal length , one from 1957 and the other from 2015

• Like 1

35mm and 75mm would be ideal I think. I end up mostly using a 35mm and then I don't need a 50mm as it is too similar. So I either carry a 90mm in addition (I don't have a 75 at the moment) or a 12mm depending on what I want to do.

I think for me the 35/1.4 ASPH is the most useful lens although the 50/1.4 ASPH looks a bit sharper and has more contrast. I don't have the 50/2.0 APO but from what I saw it is a nice lens too.

If I attach a 50mm I usually don't carry any other lenses around as the 50mm can handle quite a lot on its own. (assuming you have some space to move)

• 2 years later...
On 12/21/2018 at 2:11 AM, fabior said:

I have many m lenses but i would like to suggest strongly the idea to have two opposite kind of lenses but both with a particular and strong character  . summaron 28mm and a 50mm  noctilux f0,95 . I believe is a good combination .  I have both and i like too much how easy is to carry an m body with the suumaron when you like to travel light and have the possibility to put them in your pocket. without mention  the wonderfull results you can have using the noctilux .  The only limitation of summary and nocti is the minimal distance of focusing : 1 meter.

Hmm interesting, I just got my M10R coming from a X100F, and decided to make my 50 lux asph my main lense.

with my x100f, I found 28 and 35 too close though I found having the 28 helpful for landscape, so I was thinking of adding a 28, but a summaron versions vs the elmarit as a “niche”, light, wide , point and shoot lense to compliment the 50Lux. I just going through my final thoughts to justify this as I mostly think my landscape photography will be in the daytime it’ll be good to have something different/refreshing as to the main 50 lux. 

Has anyone else felt this way with a “one” primary lens? thanks 

Edited by The_darter87

8 hours ago, The_darter87 said:

Hmm interesting, I just got my M10R coming from a X100F, and decided to make my 50 lux asph my main lense.

with my x100f, I found 28 and 35 too close though I found having the 28 helpful for landscape, so I was thinking of adding a 28, but a summaron versions vs the elmarit as a “niche”, light, wide , point and shoot lense to compliment the 50Lux. I just going through my final thoughts to justify this as I mostly think my landscape photography will be in the daytime it’ll be good to have something different/refreshing as to the main 50 lux. 

It’s not entirely clear what you are saying here. If you found the 28 and 35 too close on your x100, how did you settle on a 50? (Did you use the TCL on your x100?)

if you want a nice 2 lens kit, you’ve really got to figure out what you want to shoot with it. Personally, I’ve settled on a 2 lens kit of a 28 and 50. I went with the Voigtlander 28 ultron ii and Voigtlander 50mm APO. I like the way they render and handle. 

I don’t need anything wider than that and longer than that gets into focusing difficulties with a rangefinder for me. My 2¢. 

9 hours ago, The_darter87 said:

Go for it, meaning trying to use the Summilux-M 50 asph. only for a while then you would see which focal length you need.

About 28mm, there are plenty nice out there.

I have some (like other focal lengths) but not be able to choose only one, they are all different.

Summaron-M 28 or Elmarit-M 28 asph. are good companions for Summilux-M 50mm.

They are light but so good and compact.

To have idea of their sizes comparing to Summicron-M 28mm ( = another very nice 28mm if we need more light gathering, normal size ! )

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

To travel light ...

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, magnolia said:

It’s not entirely clear what you are saying here. If you found the 28 and 35 too close on your x100, how did you settle on a 50? (Did you use the TCL on your x100?)

if you want a nice 2 lens kit, you’ve really got to figure out what you want to shoot with it. Personally, I’ve settled on a 2 lens kit of a 28 and 50. I went with the Voigtlander 28 ultron ii and Voigtlander 50mm APO. I like the way they render and handle. 

I don’t need anything wider than that and longer than that gets into focusing difficulties with a rangefinder for me. My 2¢. 

I also choose 50 because I am still keeping the x100v, and I used to shoot 50 equivalent on my Nikon years ago + I just liked the 50 on the m10 to clear things up. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/26/2018 at 3:32 AM, strohscw said:

If I could only have two lenses:

Summicron 28 + Summilux 50 asph.

I am new to Leica but have been shooting Nikons, Rolleiflex, Fuji, and Hasselblad for the the past 20 years as an avid amateur. Given the expense of the glass, I took my time thinking about what to buy. 

The Summicron 28 and Summilux 50 ASPH are the two lenses I recently purchased for my m10r and I think for travel/landscape/portraits/"dad" photography these two cover the waterfront.

I am a bokeh fiend so I went with the 28 cron instead of the elmarit and was not disappointed. The bokeh on the 50 lux is absolutely wonderful; I'm sure the f/0.95 version is even better but didn't want to spend $12k+ on a lens quite yet and it is a big piece of glass.

If I had to pick only one lens, and without having shot a 35mm leica lens yet, it'd be a 35mm. 50 is a bit narrow and 28 is a little wide unless you are really comfortable getting close to your subject.

I have a feeling any glass I purchase going forward will be a very compact version of a 28 - eg the 28 summaron. Although I appreciate the utility of focal lengths longer than 50mm, they don't really appeal to me give the size and spirit of the M.

John

Edited by yeatts

On 9/4/2021 at 11:43 PM, The_darter87 said:

I did the same thing- I've found the 50 1.4 to be wonderful and I added a 35 f.2 and a Zeiss 28- all I need!

Summicron 28mm ASPH II + Summilux 50mm ASPH would be an ideal "E46" combo. I'm currently running a Summilux 35mm FLE + Summilux 50mm ASPH setup right now as I don't use the 50mm often. However, when I need a 50mm for portraiture or a little bit of reach, I'm happy to have it.

I'll have to add another Summicron 28mm ASPH II again one day. The Summilux 28mm was just too big and heavy.