Thambar-Crazy

lik

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not at Red Dot … The marked optics Thambar lens I saw a few years ago and did not buy (but wish I had) was at MW … and the £1249 lens listed this week and now sold (but is still illustrated ) is at Peter Loy 

Dentistry currently has preference over lenses otherwise would have considered buying the PL Thambar lens.

But I have a pseudo Thambar plan which will be an interesting experiment. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 2

Paul, the one Dunk is talking about was not at Red Dot.

I got one of the old ones from Red Dot. I also tested both old and new and - luckily - preferred the older version. Strangely I have no problems focusing it with the RF on the M9, but I may be used to it now also having experience with the 90 APO. In fact I found it very easy to focus, maybe due to a longer, softer throw.

Having picked up my MP the same day, it turned out to be quite an expensive outing :-)

• Like 2

Having picked up my MP the same day, it turned out to be quite an expensive outing :-)

Have you combined the two yet? I've only taken a small number of film photos with the Thambar-M, even though I bought the lens with film in mind. It's such an esoteric lens that I feel I need the much quicker feedback of digital at the moment and, sometimes, the live view.

Paul, the one Dunk is talking about was not at Red Dot.

I got one of the old ones from Red Dot. I also tested both old and new and - luckily - preferred the older version. Strangely I have no problems focusing it with the RF on the M9, but I may be used to it now also having experience with the 90 APO. In fact I found it very easy to focus, maybe due to a longer, softer throw.

I also had no problems with the Apo-Summicron 90, though it took more care than, say the Apo-Summicron 75 (I sold the Apo-Summicron 90 to buy the Thambar).

But I expected the SL EVF to make focusing the Thambar much easier, which I haven't found to be the case in practice.

Have you combined the two yet? I've only taken a small number of film photos with the Thambar-M, even though I bought the lens with film in mind. It's such an esoteric lens that I feel I need the much quicker feedback of digital at the moment and, sometimes, the live view.

Not yet, I also need the quicker feedback to aid the learning process. That being said I do have a few frames left on the current roll of Portra 400 in the MP, so I'll probably use them with the Thambar... good idea, thanks :-)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

SL, f/2.2 and CSF.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

SL, f/2.2 and CSF.

• Like 6

Thambar goes to the Metropolitan Opera!

I am submitting 2 photos from yesterday's performance of Massenet's Cendrillon.

Thambar at f/2.6 w/ CSF and HDR (vertical) and Thambar f/3.6 w/ CSF (horizontal)

Can you spot the Marx brothers in either one?  :D  :D  :D

Albert  :)  :)  :)

• Like 1

the second one...

• Like 4

This was taken w the thambur? Wow. How does it create that white glow?

It's a very hairy plant and the classic view of the Pasqueflower – backlit against the setting sun so the hairs appear to glow around its profile. For comparison, this is another photo (taken last year) of the flower using the Macro Elmar-M.

34192730851_385a14834d_b.jpg

• Like 6

I had a play with the Thumbar over the weekend at the Leica Store in LA as it wasn’t really a lens I was interested in until this forum thread... such amazing work by you all. Totally blown away with the build quality and presentation of the lens. I really hope Leica keep remaking vintage speciality lenses at this level. So unique to this market and inspiring to use.

Quick shot taken within the store on my M-P240 converted to monochrome in Lightroom.

Mike

www.photobasecamp.com

• Like 10

I'm not sure I really know where I'm going with this lens but I'm enjoying using it (even if, hand on heart, I think its taking me down a bit of a blind alley). The Cow Parsley is beginning to froth in the local nitrogen heavy field margins. Probably about F4, no filter.

40056694510_c31ea02300_b.jpg

Not exactly the same photo but this one is left in colour for comparison.

41146741754_862bf42766_b.jpg

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 7

Ian, I know what you mean. I have felt the same when I've tried 'Thambar with everything'. I think the trick is recognising that while in the early stages you're testing this abnormal lens in lots of different scenarios - "just to see what happens" - at some stage you have to stop and decide exactly where it does work and where it does not. That could be a narrow use scenario, depending on your photography.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

I prefer the B&W (as usual,... well mostly). The rendering of the background in the top third is superb. Did you do anything in PP ?

I ran it through Silver Efex and moved a few sliders here and there (and added some "grain").

As an example of the 'Thambar with everything' approach I mentioned above, I tried it as part of a series I am doing on rehearsals for a musical with a youth group. Most of the shots were rubbish because the light and contrast were poor, the focus throw is too long for manual focus when people are moving quickly, and picking optimum focus on the SL in low light is not easy (it would be easier with a rangefinder). I quite liked this one though:

• Like 5

Not at Red Dot … The marked optics Thambar lens I saw a few years ago and did not buy (but wish I had) was at MW … and the £1249 lens listed this week and now sold (but is still illustrated ) is at Peter Loy 

Dentistry currently has preference over lenses otherwise would have considered buying the PL Thambar lens.

But I have a pseudo Thambar plan which will be an interesting experiment. 

dunk 

Hey Dunk,

What is your pseudo Thambar plan?

Tom A and I used to talk about this one a lot. Tom's idea was to use a 73 Hektor with a center spot filter. I have played around mentally with the concept, but have never executed. Now with the new Thambar out and interest in the lens renewed, I've been thinking of taking up Tom's idea again. The other lens that might work is the 12.5 Hektor.  Wide open, this lens has a lot of the Thambar characteristics.

Two more tree and light motifs from Lincoln Center here in New York...

Thambar 4.2and 3.6 respectively with CSF..

Here is the first in front of the Vivian Beaumont theater

Albert  :D  :D  :D

• Like 5