I need a 50: Older Cron or Voigtlander 1.5 ASPH

Dario Antonaci

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the latest version of the 50 Cron, a silver Zeiss 50 Planar for my M3 and very recently, I have acquired a black 50 Nokton for my M10. At F2 all three are indistinguishable in all but backlighting. The 50 Cron flares most easily, both the Planar and the Nokton are well controlled in that regard. The Nokton needs the most stopping down to totally clean up the corners but it is close and wide open it is really sharp, almost as good as the Leica 50 1.4 Asph.

On the note of the 50mm 1.4 asph, I have had that lens a few times and while I love it's optical performance, I don't love it's weight and how many times I had to have them adjusted, especially the silver version which is just way too heavy for a lens that size, the thing literally kept falling apart in moderate pro use. The Nokton blows it away in that aspect, well balanced, weighs the same as a modern Cron and only a little bigger in the front as the Cron. Focus action is a bit stiff but it is still smooth and there is no play, does not get bumped easily. I suspect it will do like a new 50 1.4 Asph does and break in after awhile.

There is a bit of purple fringing wide open but it is easily taken care of in post, a small price to pay for such a relatively inexpensive lens that otherwise does nearly as good as Leica glass. The rendering is stellar, the styling of the lens is awesome, I even love the scalloped focus ring that so many discriminating Leica fans seem to not like, works awesome with gloves.

All in all, if I had to make a choice, I would go for the Nokton over the Cron in most cases. It's only a bit bigger in the front, trails behind the Cron optically very little and when it comes to color and tone, can match the Cron with very minor adjustments in post.

I'm not brand loyal, I am only concerned about making the best photographs I can and because of this, I put what I feel are the best tools for the job into use and for a lot of photographs that require the look of a 50, the Nokton is my new go to.

Here is a shot uploaded from my phone wide open, I think it draws really well:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Reciprocity
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your input guys! I will save some money in the next few weeks and get a chrome Nokton...

Fine!

But don't forget:

- The chrome version is heavier (due to brass) 293g vs. 220g (black alu)

- For my taste the chrome lens doesn't look very nice on a silver body

I have the two Noktons and a couple of Summicrons.  Without a doubt, I prefer the Summicron imaging and unlike the Noktons the focus point holds well when stopped down. Without a doubt, the Noktons are very good lenses both objectively and for the money, but I remain more comfortable with the smaller Summicron (I usually use a early rigid) that really images nicely (by my standard). Regards, Ron

The Voigtlander 50mm f1.5 VM is now my goto 50mm lens the only better 50mm lens I have used is the Leica 50mm f1.4 ASPH but its bigger and a lot more expensive. (I have not used the APO or the Noctilux btw ...)

The Zeiss 50mm f2 is very good but it is as big as the Voigtlander and the same price, so for me the Voigtlander is a no brainer as I always use bright lenses where I can. Simply more flexibility.

The Zeiss 50mm f1.5 is a beautiful speciality lens, but no good as a walk about for me due to the focus shift, unless you are using it at f2.8 and above and then I would rather have the f2

The Leica 50mm f2 (last 2 versions) is good but I find the Voigtlander better, and for the price and the extra brightness well .....

The Voigtlander 50mm f1.5 VM, is sharp, extremely well made, contrasty and has a lovely slightly warmer colour then Leica, which I find is a bit more bluish. There is no focus shift. The only thing the Leica 50mm f1.4 ASPH  has over the Voigtlander is it is sharper wide open, although the Voigtlander is reasonably sharp in the middle wide open. The Leica 1.4 is also slightly more flat field in the brighter apertures. If you have the money I would recommend the Leica 50mm f1.4 ASPH but you didn't' have in your options

In terms of in-camera settings, I have used the 50mm f1.4 non-ASPH and the ASPH but not that much difference and stick to the ASPH setting (a lot of other photographers seem to recommend this). The internal settings are to correct distortion and CA, with 50mm and over it makes much less difference then on wide angles.

In terms of character, that's very personal. My favourite 35mm lens ever, for example, is the Voigtlander 35mm f1.2. Even though the Zeiss 35mm f1.4 is much sharper wide open, there is an ethereal nature of the photography which I find particularly beautiful. But its all personal taste ....

best of luck

Edited by colonel

I feel the same regards the 35mm f1.7 Ultron VM. Absolutely superb lens.

I agree. The 35mm f1.7 VM is a better walk about lens then the 1.2 if one doesn't like the weight

Actually its one of the best 35mm lens around

My 35mm roundup based on my 2 cents (which wasn't what the OP was asking):

1. Leica 35mm f1.4 FLE - best handling and size for 1.4, cool, blue and ethereal rending, great for street

2. Leica 35mm f2. - not a lens I particularly liked, but I haven't tested the latest update

3. Zeiss 35mm f1.4 - the sharpest 35mm lens. Quite incredible at f1.4. Not light and a bit long

4. Zeiss 35mm f2 - A great walk about but a tad soft with lower contrast at f2

5. Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 - Voigtlander hit it out of the park with this one. Small, well made and sharp. Not quite flat field at f1.7 and not f1.4 .......

6. Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 - My favourite 35mm lens for street and context shots. A little soft wide open. 2D pastel like rendering - terrific for people and backgrounds. Ethereal, but warm and yellow unlike cool blue of Leica

rgds

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...