Voigtlander NOKTON 28mm F/1.5 ASPH VM is here

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Cosina drops 4 variants of the newest 28mm f/1.5 classic 60-year-old design lens: aluminium, obviously lightweight (250g) and comes in silver and black, and brass (330g), which is solid and heavier and also comes in silver and matte black paint. The latter has a removable focusing pin that fits inside the focusing tab. MFD remains in the classic Voigtlander zone at 0.5m. Hoods are extra.

All specs are available on their website.

Will you get one?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Update by LUF Admin 2024-01-04

Voigtländer just sent me images and specs, you’ll find them here:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

I want to get the black paint type II to match my 1.2/50 and 1.2/35 III, but the screw hole in the focus tab after removing the stick is just so ugly, and might ruin the tactile experience. It's really tempting since it would also match my 1.5/50, 2.5/35, 2/35, 1.5/35, 1.4/35, 2/28, 3.5/21, and 4.5/15. Maybe there's some kind of smooth plug to fill the hole aesthetically? The combination stick / tab / knurled ring is so weird, but seems they were trying to bring back the Ultron 28/1.9 and Summilux 1.4/50 in spirit while avoiding the disappointment of leaving out a focus tab.

Alternatively the silver Type 1 would match my silver 1.5/75, and vintage sonnar 1.5/50.

It loooks very nice - in the ads. 

My current 28s are ZM-Biogon f2.8 (imaging quality a league of its own, but corners wide open are not first class; great on CCD/M8); Orion 15, f5.6 (image quality great on M240); M-Rokkor f2.8 (a very nice lens that unfortunately hazes/fogs long term). So yes there we have a new player, I hope it will at F2.0 be as good as the acclaimed Noton F2 wide open corner to corner . . . 

A week before Christmas, will they have it distributed for the shopping spree? One for me? Yes definitely interesting.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am not sure that I have a need for a “fast” 28mm lens, but, I am glad for those shooters who will find a 28mm f/1.5 lens to be useful. (I rarely use my 28mm Elmarit lenses, and when I do, the aperture is usually stopped-down, in order to have a substantial Depth Of Field. My Summaron 28mm lens is used even less often, and has a maximum aperture of f/5.6.) I do like my Cosina Voigtlander Nokton 21mm f/1.4, my 35mm f/1.4 Zeiss and Leica lenses, and my Leica Summilux f/1.4 and Voigtlander f/1.0 Nokton “Fast Fifties.” 

Having said that, an exceptional lens can cause me to develop interest in a previously less-interesting focal length. Such was the case, recently, in 2022, with the Elmar-M 24mm ASPH. (Having mentioned 24mm, well, perhaps Cosina might build a 24mm or 25mm Nokton?)

If this 28mm Nokton proves to be an exceptional landscape or architecture lens, I may well have an eventual role for it. The relative affordability of Cosina Voigtlander lenses can enable one to more-readily add a specialized tool to the “toolbox.”

Edited by RexGig0

30 minutes ago, 28framelines said:

I wish they did what they did with the 28mm Color Skopar; one that only focuses to 0.7m or do what Leica and Thypoch have done and make it so you know when you’ve reached minimum focus distance with the RF mechanism

I can't figure out why they don't do what you said. Maybe they think their market doesn't care or won't pay for it? 99% of the time I use the OVF (film & digital) and not having a 0.7 stop is definitely what keeps me from buying a lens like this.

Edited by Crem
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Will you get one?

No. I just got out of the 28 Ultron II to get the 35 Nokton. 35 is a much more useful lens for me. 28 is too wide. 

I rarely shot that lens bigger than f4, so I was thinking about buying an f2.8 28mm, when I decided to go for 35mm instead. 

This lens would have to be the greatest lens ever made to make it a better buy than the 28 Ultron II. That lens is aside from the APO 35/50 their greatest achievement. From size to IQ the Ultron II is incredible. 

I also find 0.5m focusing extremely annoying and I’m so glad to be back at 0.7m. They need to put a detent at 0.7m. But I’ve heard this detent also makes it hard to fine focus close to 0.7m because the lens wants to snap you to 0.7m. I find the whole close focus thing very annoying. By their own promo video they’re targeting those Fuji users. 28mm, f1.5  and close focus. Makes perfect sense on a Fuji.

I don’t know why they don’t make an f2 Summicron or Elcan type clone. A small, sharp, but with a bit of character lens. Their only 50f2 is the massive APO.

Anyway. By the looks of it the Ultron II is still the budget 28mm lens to get for Leica M users.

Edited by muskyvibes
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Alberti said:

It loooks very nice - in the ads. 

My current 28s are ZM-Biogon f2.8 (imaging quality a league of its own, but corners wide open are not first class; great on CCD/M8); Orion 15, f5.6 (image quality great on M240); M-Rokkor f2.8 (a very nice lens that unfortunately hazes/fogs long term). So yes there we have a new player, I hope it will at F2.0 be as good as the acclaimed Noton F2 wide open corner to corner . . . 

A week before Christmas, will they have it distributed for the shopping spree? One for me? Yes definitely interesting.

I also own the Biogon 28mm, the image quality is extraordinary. But at f/1.5, this Voigtlander sounds intriguing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Crem said:

I can't figure out why they don't do what you said. Maybe they think their market doesn't care or won't pay for it? 99% of the time I use the OVF (film & digital) and not having a 0.7 stop is definitely what keeps me from buying a lens like this.

Yes exactly. It seems like the only thing consistent about their lens designs (and features) is the chrome ring (almost) everyone hates lol

• Like 1

Love Voigtlander designs. In many ways they are pretty innovative. It intrigues me to know how good it is open wide. This one is going to be ideal for night street photography. 

as far as I know the fastest smallest 28 of its kind. 

will get it as soon as I can. My fastest 28 is the Summicron. 

The 28 Summilux is one of my 2 usual carry lenses- I am hoping the CV can play the role of alternative. 
I do think the 28mm f2 Ultron and the 21mm f1.4 are better than the Leica offerings.
I don’t need it to match or surpass the 28 lux, just to offer a competent option— in fact, I would be happy with substantial vignetting, coma and even a mid-zone dip (give me some character!) I tend to shoot wide open with center placement.

The .5m focus distance is highly useful to me as well.

Edited by mdg1371

8 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Did you at least get the silver version?

@Al Brown, how could you not?!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1