22371056278_4244ba9fa2_h.jpg

Leica S-E (Typ 006)

Hasselblad-H 300mm

22166703944_b457bb362e_h.jpg

Leica S-E (Typ 006)

Zeiss Sonnar T* 1:4/210mm

24605010320_f923cc0008_h.jpg

• Like 8

There are M mount adapter for every legacy lens on eBay. My avatar here has this lens mounted on M240. 

Edit: BTW, since you are not sure, why not get 80-200 vario R with Leica M2R adapter. This will set you back little over a grand but you could very easily sell it after use. This is little heavy but works perfect with EVF2. This lens can be as sharp as you want. Around 130mm it is sharpest comparing with primes. 80mm and 200mm ends are not bad either (I am talking about Leica standard).

That could be a good option actually. I've only ever adapted lenses when I owned an A7Rii so I guess I wasn't aware you can buy M adapters as well. I'm sure that opens up a lot of options. The R lenses look quite a lot larger though so that's the only downside.

Have you ever tried the 70-210mm f4 R lens? I don't know how many versions there are but this would be the first version; I've found one for sale and although large, a quick review I've found calls sharpness and contrast amazing at f5.6?

Understood. I wasn't recommending carrying a passle of long lenses, just making the point that any lens can do landscapes. Personally, I mostly limit myself to 21/35/135 these days - a 135 can do headshots nicely and has replaced my 180 for landscapes as well. I have a Canon and 300 if I know I'm doing sports or wildlife.

Until a few weeks ago, I never used a 50mm. I was always a 35mm shooter with other lenses being surplus most of the time. However the 50mm has really been a large part of a lot of my recent images so maybe one day I'll end up with UWA, 50mm, Telephoto as my three lens set-up.

I have an Olympus EM1 mkii with a 300mm plus extender option but I shoot it very little.

To chime in a bit more I had the Vario-Elmar-R 1:4/80-200 which is AMAZING on the M240 (just a ass to focus with that horrible EVF) on the M10 with the Leica T viewfinder it will be easier! 

Lovely lens though posting some examples:

All Leica M (Typ 240) with Vario-Elmar-R 1:4/80-200

15834605560_605e9b13e5_k.jpg

15364006374_6ab9fa4bc0_k.jpg

15985569712_a27e3f8b9b_k.jpg

15366557093_3dcda7aef6_k.jpg

14631460245_663f9e9d08_k.jpg

14567689476_4eb307f9d9_k.jpg

19304899330_23210f100b_k.jpg

19492456195_bad53a4b1d_k.jpg

P.S. sorry for image overload haha

Edited by jip
  • Like 2

To chime in a bit more I had the Vario-Elmar-R 1:4/80-200 which is AMAZING on the M240 (just a ass to focus with that horrible EVF) on the M10 with the Leica T viewfinder it will be easier! 

Lovely lens though posting some examples:

All Leica M (Typ 240) with Vario-Elmar-R 1:4/80-200

P.S. sorry for image overload haha

That thing is sharp!! Lovely colours as well. It's just 5 times the price of the 70-210mm I've found, and heavier apparently. Arrgggh, I hate buying lenses; there's always too much choice.

Edited by w44neg
  • Like 1

Until a few weeks ago, I never used a 50mm. I was always a 35mm shooter with other lenses being surplus most of the time. However the 50mm has really been a large part of a lot of my recent images so maybe one day I'll end up with UWA, 50mm, Telephoto as my three lens set-up.

Why not? I have an old Leica M4-P brochure from the 1980s, and in the back the Leica marketers helpfully ;) suggest ways a user could spend more money by listing possible lens combos. One is titled "The Bridge Across Focal Lengths" - which comprises the 21mm Elmarit, 50mm Summicron, and 135 Tele-Elmar.

"The advanced amateur or the professional wants to be prepared for all possible situations. The following represents a universal outfit for reporting expeditions and photojournalism."

Really stunning shots. 135mm clearly gives an incredible effect but I think 90mm as you say would be more versatile.

I'm now struggling to decide which 90mm I would go for. I see there are...

90mm f2.5

90mm f2.4 latest version

...anything faster is probably more than I'd want to spend on a lens that I'll only occasionally use. As long as colour rendition is decent, and sharpness good at say f5.6 i'd be more than happy.

If you like to buy BRAND NEW Summarit is a wise choice (i have the 75 2,5) ; if you don't care to "go for old" (from a TRUSTABLE seller)... the Tele Elmarit 90 "dwarf" is unbeatable for compactness (not for weight, but is a superb build, better than Summarit)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That could be a good option actually. I've only ever adapted lenses when I owned an A7Rii so I guess I wasn't aware you can buy M adapters as well. I'm sure that opens up a lot of options. The R lenses look quite a lot larger though so that's the only downside.

Have you ever tried the 70-210mm f4 R lens? I don't know how many versions there are but this would be the first version; I've found one for sale and although large, a quick review I've found calls sharpness and contrast amazing at f5.6?

I have an Olympus EM1 mkii with a 300mm plus extender option but I shoot it very little.

Never tried 70-210 but I will be surprised if it is not good at f/5.6. I believe *any* lens should be adequately sharp at f/5.6 to f/8. For cheap tele lenses the other downside is CA in high contrast areas but that is easily eliminated in PP. This is the reason why many cheap tele lenses can be used successfully now.

And yes, 80-200 is heavy that's why I don't use it much but I have many beautiful pictures shot with it. You can always sell it after your trip. And if you are sure you don't need any wild life photography then you can limit yourself till 135mm and find a legacy cheap lens for just in case use.

The 80-200 f/4.5, 75-200 f/4.5, and 70-210 f/4 all perform about like one would expect for 1970s-80s Minolta-designed zooms. Adequate in the center, pretty soft corners, a lot of CA everywhere. I'll give the 70-210 credit for being a bit better than the 70s versions

But any Leitz/Leica prime 180, 135 or 90 will walk all over them. The Leitz 180 APO-Telyt f/3.4 will walk all over them in spades. The Nikkor-E "cheap" manual-focus 70-210 will usually outperform them as well. I've tried them all.

The later 1990s 80-200 f/4 with the Leica red-dot logo is a whole different beast (Leica design, produced in the Zeiss/Kyocera/Contax factory). But "beast" is the word, for weight. I still preferred the 180 APO in every possible way. 750g vs. 1020g for the 80-200 f/4, or 510g for the 135 Tele-Elmar M-mount.

If R lenses are under consideration....

APO-Telyt 180mm f/3.4 @ f/3.4 - corner and whole image, Canon 5D2. A dangerous lens to use - it will spoil your taste for anything lesser. ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

By comparison, Leitz/Minolta 70-210 at comparable crop @ f/5.6

• Like 2

Very nice topic, to get an overview to the more underrated/underestimated longer focal Leica lenses.

For myself, I really enjoy shooting with the 90 mm APO Summicron, with a M240/EVF/ handgrip combination. Easy to focus, and wide open you will get stunning results for portraiture in my opinion. Clear, sharp and nice colours.

Due not being the most asked lenses in the M-System, I often see them with "lower" pricing used

I´m planning to upgrade with 135 mm to get more focal length.

Greets

Somewhere in the Andes, with Monochrome 1 and APOSummicron90

• Like 8

While I must admit the 90 Elmarit M and 135 Elmarit are currently my least used lenses, I just ordered a 75 Summicron. My reasoning might be a bit obscure but I used a Linhof Technika for decades with 90, 127 and 210 lenses for my landscape work. The 210 saw quite a bit of action as it allowed me to capture the essence of the scene before me. Now I'm just not as inclined to haul 25 pounds of gear around with me, so a Leica with 21, 35 and 75 will be the new landscape kit.

I also used the 210mm lens for tabletop product shots, closeups and portraits and am expecting the 75 to follow suit. The ability to use an EVF makes the use of a 75mm lens possible as the native frame lines really suck. If I find the 75/EVF to be as good of a combo as I expect, I may have cause to upgrade my 135 as well.

This was taken with the 90/4 Elmar C

Not an expensive lens and a great performer.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I do recall - in the distant past of probably the 1970s - one of the photo magazines ran an article on a photographer who was trying to recapture scenes painted by Vermeer, where they still existed.

He concluded that a 105mm lens (on 35mm film) best replicated Vermeer's "seeing" (relative size of objects, "perspective" of receding rivers, etc.)

A 90mm is about as close as you can get in the regular range of M lenses. Not that we have to photograph the way Vermeer painted.

• Like 4

That thing is sharp!! Lovely colours as well. It's just 5 times the price of the 70-210mm I've found, and heavier apparently. Arrgggh, I hate buying lenses; there's always too much choice.

Here's a pic of me with the R8 with the Vario-Elmar-R 1:4/80-200 mounted, with an M over my shoulder for comparison in size haha. 

Avoid too fixed an idea of what lenses are "for." Or what a "landscape" is.

Ernst Haas regularly used 180mm and 400mm lenses for worldscapes, for their compression of space into 2D graphic patterns.

https://fansinaflashbulb.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/haas_ernst_77_1976-e1392218366245.jpg?w=640&h=453

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/0a/78/0c/0a780c05c421f615007d44729744a56c.jpg

http://www.swanngalleries.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/ErnstHass-1.jpg

There are many more of these abstractions in his Color Correction, published last year by Steidl, which I can really recommend.

Rene Burri's famous Sao Paulo photo with the three men standing on the rooftop was also taken with a 180mm lens:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/23/magazine/shadows-in-sao-paulo.html?_r=0

"Henri Cartier-­Bresson, a founder of Magnum Photos, limited his fellow photographers to lenses from 35 millimeters to 90 millimeters. Burri had surreptitiously gone longer while shooting in São Paulo, to 180 millimeters. ‘‘I never told him!’’ he said. ‘‘At that point, I broke loose from my mentor.’’"

• Like 1

Granada Skyline and Weatherfront taken with M9 and 75mm Summarit:

Crop taken from same photo:

William

• Like 3