Your 75/90/135mm landscapes?

w44neg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Okay, so I know the 75mm and towards range are generally used for portraiture, but I'm going to Vegas, LA, SF amongst other places on a forthcoming trip and I know I'll need longer than the 50mm I currently own.

The issue is, I do shoot the odd portrait so I'm trying to decide on which lens to buy that will be a good all-rounder for mostly landscapes, but the odd head shot here and there. I know, vague right?!?!

I was hoping you guys could perhaps post some of your telephoto landscape images, and perhaps recommend your thoughts? I have an EVF2 for when I'm shooting landscapes on my MP Safari. When I'm shooting things such as street photos or event photos I tend to use the rangefinder as the framing is less critical to me.

here are 3 from a recent trip to Joshua Tree NP during super bloom

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

. First one with APO90, last two on APOTelyt135, all with SL (shrunk for posting)
  • Like 2

and here are 4 more with my 75Lux on my SL (first three from Miami and last one from Habana)

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...and I know I'll need longer than the 50mm I currently own....

90mm is the focal that I sincerely suggest to go over 50 and maintaining an excellent usability with RF Leicas : you also have lot of choices for any amount you'd like to put into (even an old Elmar 90 in FINE conditions can be appreciable... and of course the Summicron APO at the other extreme of cost)

90 is quite portable, decent to frame, not critical on focusing, good for portraiture and, for landscape, can give the kind of perspective that anyway distinguishes it significantly from a 50.

Hereunder, M240 with Summicron 90

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 7

Thanks, some really beautiful shots.

90mm is the focal that I sincerely suggest to go over 50 and maintaining an excellent usability with RF Leicas : you also have lot of choices for any amount you'd like to put into (even an old Elmar 90 in FINE conditions can be appreciable... and of course the Summicron APO at the other extreme of cost)

90 is quite portable, decent to frame, not critical on focusing, good for portraiture and, for landscape, can give the kind of perspective that anyway distinguishes it significantly from a 50.

Hereunder, M240 with Summicron 90

attachicon.gifCastiglione Falletto_2a.jpg

What you say makes a lot of sense. I need to purchase an ultra wide but once I do, I'd have 18/21mm approx, 35mm f2, 50mm f2 and 90mm. Sounds like a good balance.

• Like 3

Elmarit 90

Leica M9-P

Elmarit-M 90mm

12136462254_03dda1756b_h.jpg

Leica M (Typ 240)

Summilux-R 80mm

15800452177_193b0f10f1_h.jpg

Leica SL (Typ 601)

APO-Summicron-M 75mm

27596826323_40efbd41a6_h.jpg

Sorry not really landscapes just reread the title of the thread.

Edited by jip
  • Like 5

So for landscapes:

Leica S-E (Typ 006)

Zeiss Sonnar 1:2,8/140mm (110 mm on fullframe)

34550128325_b2f1279c49_h.jpg

Leica S-E (Typ 006)

Zeis APO-Makro-Planar 1:4/120mm (95mm on fullframe)

30961926303_37e2c6c794_h.jpg

• Like 5

After 28mm, I like 90mm a lot for landscape shots. However sometimes 90mm is perfect choice. It is like Goldilock's choice. Not too long, not too wide. Just perfect. :)

See below:

28mm

attachicon.gifexp_sm_20170129Altamont_pass_windmills-1006577.jpg

90mm

attachicon.gifexp_sm_20170129Altamont_pass_windmills-1006557.jpg

135mm

attachicon.gifexp_sm_20170129Altamont_pass_windmills-1006607.jpg

Really stunning shots. 135mm clearly gives an incredible effect but I think 90mm as you say would be more versatile.

I'm now struggling to decide which 90mm I would go for. I see there are...

90mm f2.5

90mm f2.4 latest version

...anything faster is probably more than I'd want to spend on a lens that I'll only occasionally use. As long as colour rendition is decent, and sharpness good at say f5.6 i'd be more than happy.

• Like 2

Get the 90 2.4 it has a closer focusing limit than the 2.5 and is just an amazing lens! I sold mine last month (since I shoot more with Leica S these days...) 

Get the 90 2.4 it has a closer focusing limit than the 2.5 and is just an amazing lens! I sold mine last month (since I shoot more with Leica S these days...) 

Good to hear a report as reviews are thin on the ground for this one. Finding one used could be difficult but I still have some time.

Avoid too fixed an idea of what lenses are "for." Or what a "landscape" is.

Ernst Haas regularly used 180mm and 400mm lenses for worldscapes, for their compression of space into 2D graphic patterns.

https://fansinaflashbulb.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/haas_ernst_77_1976-e1392218366245.jpg?w=640&h=453

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/0a/78/0c/0a780c05c421f615007d44729744a56c.jpg

http://www.swanngalleries.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/ErnstHass-1.jpg

(not that he didn't use every focal length for landscapes, from 21 on up)

My magazines on this page: http://www.coloradoseen.com/2011/

.... especially 08/2011 (Aspens, and Black Canyon) and 04/2011 (Pike's Travels in Colorado), made extensive use of 180 and 400 Leica R lenses, as well as my 135 on the M9, for landscapes

Edited by adan
  • Like 7

Really stunning shots. 135mm clearly gives an incredible effect but I think 90mm as you say would be more versatile.

I'm now struggling to decide which 90mm I would go for. I see there are...

90mm f2.5

90mm f2.4 latest version

...anything faster is probably more than I'd want to spend on a lens that I'll only occasionally use. As long as colour rendition is decent, and sharpness good at say f5.6 i'd be more than happy.

Thanks. I would not worry too much about which lens. For landscape you don't need a faster lens. If light is less then you use tripod. I personally use 90 macro-elmar M. Really small. I don't shoot portrait therefore I am fine with f/4.

I will repeat again about lens choice being secondary. You can shoot beautiful scenery with any lens.

Would you believe that the last shot is using Konica hexanon 135mm f/3.2 (under $50 lens)! :) I love this lens. I bought this in 1993 for $25. It has appreciated 100% in last 24 years. :D

Avoid too fixed an idea of what lenses are "for." Or what a "landscape" is.

Ernst Haas regularly used 180mm and 400mm lenses for worldscapes, for their compression of space into 2D graphic patterns.

https://fansinaflashbulb.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/haas_ernst_77_1976-e1392218366245.jpg?w=640&h=453

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/0a/78/0c/0a780c05c421f615007d44729744a56c.jpg

http://www.swanngalleries.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/ErnstHass-1.jpg

(not that he didn't use every focal length for landscapes, from 21 on up)

My magazines on this page: http://www.coloradoseen.com/2011/

.... especially 08/2011 (Aspens, and Black Canyon) and 04/2011 (Pike's Travels in Colorado), made extensive use of 180 and 400 Leica R lenses, as well as my 135 on the M9, for landscapes

Totally get what you're saying but there's also a practicality POV. I just would like a decent range of lenses to suit enough occasions that I won't be disappointed if I can't achieve a shot that I want. Trips like this don't come around all the time and I'd like to make the most of it. Ideally, two or three lenses would cover everything but I'll add a fourth in the form of 75/90/135 type lens just to be on the safe side.

Thanks. I would not worry too much about which lens. For landscape you don't need a faster lens. If light is less then you use tripod. I personally use 90 macro-elmar M. Really small. I don't shoot portrait therefore I am fine with f/4.

I will repeat again about lens choice being secondary. You can shoot beautiful scenery with any lens.

Would you believe that the last shot is using Konica hexanon 135mm f/3.2 (under $50 lens)! :) I love this lens. I bought this in 1993 for $25. It has appreciated 100% in last 24 years. :D

Haha that's crazy! I actually want one of those lenses but I don't know how to make it fit an M mount. Is there a variant that fits or does it need adaptation somehow I wonder?

Totally get what you're saying but there's also a practicality POV. I just would like a decent range of lenses to suit enough occasions that I won't be disappointed if I can't achieve a shot that I want. Trips like this don't come around all the time and I'd like to make the most of it. Ideally, two or three lenses would cover everything but I'll add a fourth in the form of 75/90/135 type lens just to be on the safe side.

Haha that's crazy! I actually want one of those lenses but I don't know how to make it fit an M mount. Is there a variant that fits or does it need adaptation somehow I wonder?

There are M mount adapter for every legacy lens on eBay. My avatar here has this lens mounted on M240. 

Edit: BTW, since you are not sure, why not get 80-200 vario R with Leica M2R adapter. This will set you back little over a grand but you could very easily sell it after use. This is little heavy but works perfect with EVF2. This lens can be as sharp as you want. Around 130mm it is sharpest comparing with primes. 80mm and 200mm ends are not bad either (I am talking about Leica standard).

Edited by jmahto

Understood. I wasn't recommending carrying a passle of long lenses, just making the point that any lens can do landscapes. Personally, I mostly limit myself to 21/35/135 these days - a 135 can do headshots nicely and has replaced my 180 for landscapes as well. I have a Canon and 300 if I know I'm doing sports or wildlife.

• Like 1