Minimalist setup

Zsolt Arkossy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like the "one lens" philosophy. But I like to have 3 lenses to choose from :-).

I'm in Berlin on a work trip for a couple of days and decided on a whim to stick my 90 Summicron on my M10, and just use that. I have a 24 and 50 as well, but left them at home. There's no question that having just one lens focuses the mind quite effectively. A 90 is a bit unusual to have as a single lens, but I'm really enjoying finding compositions that make the most of it.

So maybe you could have 2 or 3 lenses, but just pick one to go out with?

I resist :-)

• Like 1

I'm surprised you are not familiar with the physics. Cameras and everything else become heavier over time. At ~71 years-old, I know.

That may be true, but the difference between my teensy little Summilux 35 v2 and the latest, greatest Summilux-M 35 ASPH FLE is about 100g. I'm never going to notice that difference in weight when the all-up weight of the camera and lens is just shy of a kilogram with either lens. I would certainly miss the rendering qualities of either if they were what I'd come to know and love, which is the more important consideration.

Edited by ramarren

"The one-lens philosophy..."

I don't see it as much of a philosophy as what's working for the OP. He/She has been smart enough to recognize that what is being used is sufficient and successful, and there's no real need to disturb the equilibrium. It might come to pass that the format change implied switching from the M8 to the M10 changes the equilibrium all by itself and that at some point another lens might change things for the better. But to call it a philosophy and become all dogmatic about it is a waste of energy and time. 

• Like 1

"The one-lens philosophy..."

He/She has been smart enough to recognize that what is being used is sufficient and successful, and there's no real need to disturb the equilibrium.

I'm a "he", 46 years old, Hungarian guy :-)

I don't deny that I would LOVE to have all the Leica lenses available... I would be the happiest person - but I don't think it would make my pictures "better", only my gear would be better.

So, let's assume two basic shooting scenarios I encounter usually:

1. Indoor situation

I have two small kids (3 and 5) - ther run around the house all day long, by the time I get home at night the only light source is artificial light. So I take my camera, I sit down on the floor and play with them. Yes, they can touch my Leica, they can take a few pictures as well (while I am holding it), after 10 minutes they get used to have the camera around them, the novelty vanishes. They start concentrating on their toys - this is the time when I can start observing, then taking pictures. The only reason I am changing to M10 from M8.2 is purely down to high ISO capability. For me this is life changer. I don't need any other type of lens for this situation than a 35mm. Tele is useless indoor, wider distorts too much.

2. Outdoor situation

When I walk in a city I rarely want to capture only "the object". I want to record the context. If I want to get a closer shot, then I walk closer. If I can't walk closer, then I just simply look at it, observe and move on. Simple as it is. It's not the end of the world not to be able to take a picture of something. If "the thing" I want to photograph is too distant away, I try to compose including something which is closer, can accentuate or relate to the target. Best is to find some horizontal/vertical element - to frame the picture. Or get lower to the ground to make the object even more distant and smaller. I love to search for "the solution" to the issue I am facing. For me this is photography all about - it's not purely about the recording, it is more the visual interpretation of a situation.

So I try not to think at all about stuff that I don't have - I know my FOV, I know my tool. Simple, reliable, it's in my DNA.

I know this sounds to theoretical, or even cheesy - or just simply implies that I am self-justifying the fact that I can't afford more gear to buy. It's not at all about this, I could afford definitely more gear without any issue.

I just simply love to have a minimal gear around and not to fiddle in my mind and hands about multiple options - as I know that I will loose the precious moment I am there for to observe, experience and enjoy.

Edited by CDColt
  • Like 6

Pleased to meet you! I have a few years on you, and no children of my own to capture in photos. But otherwise I suspect we see our photography in similar ways. 

Your thoughts are brilliant. Although I've collected oodles of gear over time and have enjoyed working with all of it, there is something quite wonderful about knowing a particular lens, a particular camera, and becoming one with it such that there are no distractions. Between you and your subject it becomes just this transparency of seeing through the lens in your mind and knowing when to press the button. 

And your notion of "...If I can't walk closer, then I just simply look at it, observe and move on. Simple as it is. It's not the end of the world not to be able to take a picture of something. ..." is just nigh on perfect. What many don't seem to realize is that there are an infinite number of photo opportunities around us, every moment, and it's not even possible to consider capturing them all. Knowing what you're after and hunting for that, trying things when the context and the notion collide, and letting the infinity you cannot capture for whatever reason pass without angst is just perfect. It is indeed how I work myself. 

Enjoy your new camera and lens. I look forward to seeing some photographs should you be moved to post them. :D

2654528918_6789c1585d_o.jpg

I Only Look Friendly

This Cafe Life 2008
Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I estimate the 35 summilux (ASPH or smaller non-ASPH) on the M10 is going to give an additional 7-8 stops of low light performance compared to the M8 with a 28 elmarit. It will be a different world. The colour balance is also likely to be significantly better.

Whilst you are waiting for the M10 I suggest you meter the light in your home where the children like to play, to see what shutter speeds you will be able to achieve. I've been doing exactly this over the 7 weeks since I placed my order, and frankly the possibilities over my M9 have blown my mind.

The single lens setup is interesting. Most people using more than one lens and have done the analysis seem to say they use their main lens about 60-80% of the time. That feels about right for me too. My ability to be all Zen and let those 20-40% opportunities go when I have a single lens setup depends very much on the circumstances.

I do very much like the freedom of a 1 lens setup (35 or 40 for context on a hike/mountain ascent and street, intimate 50 for people and events) but in these situations I'm realistically covered with a normal focal length anyway because the circumstances remain very similar.

However, when traveling with family I take a 3 lens setup of 21/35/90 plus flash, table top tripod and 3 filters because I will probably never visit the same places again. I don't have angst that I'm not carrying a heavy 400mm telephoto for compressed landscapes and wildlife, but I do have enough flexibility to capture almost anything else as I envision, and the system is still small enough that it's a delight to travel with.

When traveling with business I compromise again: a standard lens on the camera, a small 21mm in a pocket and the table top tripod because most of my free time is in the evenings. Space in the cabin baggage is at a premium.

I mention these setups because the better high ISO of the M10 will give more flexibility than ever before to using the slow but tiny f/4 lenses available. This means more flexibility of image taking for little additional weight. I understand the mentality of a single lens setup allowing the photog to really understand a focal length, such as knowing the depth of field at a given aperture and framing, but quite honestly i have that with three focal lengths because they are so widely spaced and I've been using them as a set for 7 years now. You just can't confuse in your mind the framing of a standard, an ultra-wide and a short telephoto! In fact, the only reason I take a single lens setup is simply to avoid changing lenses - this is the liberating feature for me, and it only has value when I'm busy doing non-photog activities like mingling at events, shopping with the family or scrambling up a mountain.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the feedback! I fully agree what have been said before,I am so very excited to see the ISO improvement over M8.2.

The minimalistic approach is only one option, it works for me, might not for others... we are all different and that's why the world is not boring!

Some of you asked for some pictures I took, so here we go... (not M10!)

Edited by CDColt
  • Like 8

Thank you all for the feedback! I fully agree what have been said before,I am so very excited to see the ISO improvement over M8.2.

The minimalistic approach is only one option, it works for me, might not for others... we are all different and that's why the world is not boring!

Some of you asked for some pictures I took, so here we go... (not M10!)

(By the way, your note reminded me to change my profile name from CDColt (which was set up years ago and is totally irrelevant) to my real name, Zsolt Arkossy)

Lovely photos! They shine. :D

Thanks for your name! I should probably change my profile name, but I've used my 'real' name and my handle on this forum interchangeably on networks, computer systems, internet, et al since 1984 ... It's no secret.   ^_^

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

Thank you all...!

Where I am a bit indecisive are the accessories - EVF and strap. Not that I am keen to shoot a rangefinder with an EVF all the time, but as I wear glasses, sometimes might come handy, especially when the composition is critical (e.g. framing a painting or a building). It's a bit expensive, but I just don't know how much I might use it - especially I don't know when the EVF is mounted how easy is still to use the regular viewfinder with glasses (on 35mm). Oh. one more thing, I use to focus my left eye, not the right one... so if I am concerned that the EVF might scratch my right glasses while I use my left eye to look through the regular viewfinder.

Regarding the strap, I really like the original Leica strap on the M8.2, but I was wondering if a Harry Benz "The B" pure black strap with one groove would be even better on the M10... Just wondering...

Edited by Zsolt Arkossy

Well the M10 is easier to focus using the RF than the M240. Both larger and more magnification. The newer EVF does stick out far behind the camera and does get in the way but you can just flip up the eyepiece part and then it's perfectly fine. The other advantage is the GPS tagging, if you want that.

I am not an eye glass wearer but where I used the EVF for *difficult* lenses on the 240 I find them easy to focus on the M10. In your case I would be inclined to try it without first and then order it if you really need to.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography
  • Like 1

Thank you all...!

Where I am a bit indecisive are the accessories - EVF and strap. Not that I am keen to shoot a rangefinder with an EVF all the time, but as I wear glasses, sometimes might come handy, especially when the composition is critical (e.g. framing a painting or a building). It's a bit expensive, but I just don't know how much I might use it - especially I don't know when the EVF is mounted how easy is still to use the regular viewfinder with glasses (on 35mm). Oh. one more thing, I use to focus my left eye, not the right one... so if I am concerned that the EVF might scratch my right glasses while I use my left eye to look through the regular viewfinder.

Regarding the strap, I really like the original Leica strap on the M8.2, but I was wondering if a Harry Benz "The B" pure black strap with one groove would be even better on the M10... Just wondering...

@Zsolt,

I cannot recommend Harry's straps too highly. 

I have a two groove Vintage B strap on my Safari M-P and it is the only strap it will ever have on it.  It is 142 cm. in length, which puts the camera just above my right hip when the strap is worn diagonally; this is the optimum carrying position for my purposes.  I need to get a black B strap for my M4-P and a second black B for my Monochrom 246 when I am finally able to acquire it.  For years, I used the Domke 1" cotton strap which did its job admirably.  Harry's straps are such a rare combination of function, beauty, durability, dependability and luxury that nothing else comes close in my experience.

Your B&W album is interesting and thought provoking - it shows what the one lens approach is capable of.  In some cases, more gear is actually counterproductive and limiting.  I have more than one lens, but my approach has always been to size up my scene, select a lens and wring every image possible out of the scene with that one lens.  Constant lens changing is such a waste of time; it causes you to miss out on so many images that you could have had.  IMHO, photography is first and foremost about images, not bags full of gear.

Again, thank you for posting your images - they are excellent!

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 2

I do have a whole bag of gear. 7 M lenses. From 16 to 135.

I'll pick a lens. Any lens. And spend the day with only that lens. I'll start seeing things in say 21 or 50 or 90 and find what I'm looking for in that length.

I used to carry a bag with 3-4 lenses. I would then decide for a scene which I should use. Find a place to sit and change lenses. It was work. Instead I now say 'today is a 135 day'. Let me find details in buildings or isolate a subject. After a short period I start seeing things in the chosen length that I wouldn't have imagined.

• Like 3

I cannot recommend Harry's straps too highly. 

Again, thank you for posting your images - they are excellent!

@Carlos

Great to hear the reassuring feedback on Harry's strap - I am very much inclined to get it, but I think I will be prudent and wait for the M10 to arrive, check the original strap, and make the decision based on my actual experience. (My heart says "Order now!", my mind says "Wait, you might not need it at all!" - I will keep diligent, and wait...). Regarding the length, I am on the short side, 100cm is more than enough (though I am 5.9 feet, 180cm tall), I like to have it higher on my body and not to dangle around when I lean forward.

Regarding the GPS functionality, I wish it would be incorporated into the camera itself, but for sure I don't think I will keep an EVF attached purely for geolocation identification. Again, I think I will skip the EVF, as probably is not a critical or essential accessory (at least for me) - I would love to have it, but if not needed for 80% of shoots, I will skip it.

The very last item on my list is the Tumbs-Up. I had one on my M8.2 and love it - especially that after extensive usage having the brass-patina. I don't like too much the new version though - it's too curvy, hugely different design compared the boxy M10. The original Leica fits significantly better the camera, but I am not sure how ergonomic is for the thumb. I think I will try in Vienna when I pick up my camera. Maybe I don't need at all!

---

Thank you for the compliments on my photos...!

Edited by Zsolt Arkossy

Two things, on the strap and the EVF questions:

If I had to resort to a leather strap, I might consider one of Harry's, but fortunately there's a better solution.

No leather strap works for me in the way a silk-string A&A strap does, which is more comfortable and much more versatile in prolonged use. It is as effective as a wrist-strap as it is as a neck or shoulder strap, it can be knotted in any number of ways to provide instant adjustment, and is nicer than leather anyway. I've used them on Ms for years now and would never go back to leather.

Ive had my M10 for a few weeks now but the EVF hasn't been delivered yet. The viewfinder of the M10 is so much better than previous Ms that I'm enjoying it too much to worry about an EVF anyway. I shouldn't bother with it unless you need it for lenses outside the frame-line range.

• Like 1