M10 - the Image Thread

TheGodParticle/Hari

Apologize for reposting, but I put links to large versions of these two sunny day M10 shots in the 50 APO thread.  Flickr was down and I couldn't put them in their usual place.  Here is a post you can see without clicking through.

34597561956_04bd6b4ce3_o.jpgL8000761 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

33795739854_2ceb18abd7_o.jpgL8000811 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

scott

• Like 3

Classical style bust at Hinton Ampner, Hampshire

Elmarit 28 ASPH

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Often I'm interested in high-contrast images. While M10 files are highly malleable, I cannot get the look of the picture below without using Silver Efex. For example, using just Lightroom, I cannot get the highlights into the wooden bar in the bottom left, or the texture into the highlights in the corner above the subject's head. So, for this look, I have to use  Silver Efex — Lightroom by itself doesn't even come close to the look I want.

Having to use Silver Efex is not a problem, not now; but on the Silver Efex website, Google states clearly that they will not do any further development work on Silver Efex. That means that, eventually, as computer operating systems change, Silver Efex will not be usable. That is a problem.

Leica M10 | Summaron f/5.6 28mm | ISO 3200 | f/5.6 | 1/45 sec
33816933694_110b305fe3_o.jpg

Having to use Silver Efex is not a problem, not now; but on the Silver Efex website, Google states clearly that they will not do any further development work on Silver Efex. That means that, eventually, as computer operating systems change, Silver Efex will not be usable. That is a problem.

Would Macphun's Tonality be an option?

Often I'm interested in high-contrast images. While M10 files are highly malleable, I cannot get the look of the picture below without using Silver Efex. For example, using just Lightroom, I cannot get the highlights into the wooden bar in the bottom left, or the texture into the highlights in the corner above the subject's head. So, for this look, I have to use  Silver Efex — Lightroom by itself doesn't even come close to the look I want.

Leica M10 | Summaron f/5.6 28mm | ISO 3200 | f/5.6 | 1/45 sec
33816933694_110b305fe3_o.jpg

Mitch, I agree that it is a great pity that Silver Effex Pro is no-longer being developed. Already I have noticed strange 'bar-code-like' aberrations on the edges of some photographs processed with the software. Just choosing a film simulation is enough: different photographs don't have the problem.

You seem to be enjoying the Summaron; I keep looking at this lens! I wish Leica would make new U.V. filters for it. I'd probably use it with a filter, but without the lens hood. Great photograph btw.

Dimly lit interior shot to see how ISO 12500 looked. Usable when necessary, I reckon. A modest amount of sharpening and noise reduction was applied in Lightroom.

Elmarit 28 ASPH

• Like 8

Mitch...You seem to be enjoying the Summaron; I keep looking at this lens! I wish Leica would make new U.V. filters for it. I'd probably use it with a filter, but without the lens hood. Great photograph btw.

Mike - Thanks for the kind words. I do like the Summaron, though it was the look of M10 files at ISO 3200 that convinced me to get a lens with a maximum aperture of f/5.6.

BTW, the tiny Summaron lens is so far recessed that there's no need for a UV filter — but, then, I never use UV filters...

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

BTW, the tiny Summaron lens is so far recessed that there's no need for a UV filter — but, then, I never use UV filters...

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Mitch, the only lens I have used without a filter was a Nikon 14 - 24 zoom. The front element was so huge a filter was not an option. Some filter, some don't (let's not go there).

• Like 6