Leica Shop Vienna set - Hammertone M-A with chrome 0.95 Noctilux

Actually, the most interesting part of this special edition is the MR-4 meter. That Leica have bothered to manufacture 25 new meters in a hammertone finish raises the possibility that they may have retooled recently to manufacture a new run of MR-4 meters in more regular chrome and black finishes. Not an accessory that I am likely to buy but I can see Leica selling a few of these at £500 or so a pop.

Ian,

I wonder what battery they have put in it. I would guess it has been recalibrated for a modern 1.55V silver oxide cell, maybe an SR43 or 44. I use a Small Battery Company PX625 mercury cell replacer in my MR-4, which incorporates a voltage regulator to reduce the output to 1.35V. These then use an SR43. I also use the same in my CL camera. They are not cheap at £29.95 but unlike some of the cheap far eastern rubbish on Fleabay, work and keep working for years. They also do a PX27 replacer as well, which reduces 6.2V to 5.6V. I use one of those in my Minox C 8 x 11, having run out of the mercury batteries I bought in Vietnam. It is also a pain to dispose of dead mercury cells, which I take to a friend at Sussex University chemistry dept, to dispose of in their toxic waste bin.

I suspect you are correct that there would be a small market for new ones of these meters. At least you know they will be accurate and a lot of the older meters also have corroded battery compartments and circuit boards from dead mercury cells leaking the horrible gunge that they tend to do. My MR-4 came from my uncle who had it from new, so I know it has never had a leak. As an Aberdonian banker, who could detect a sixpence falling into soft sand at 200 yards upwind, my uncle was the sort of person who would take the battery out at the end of every day in case some of it got used up and shock, horror, he had to buy a new battery. 

Wilson

PS I believe these meters were made by Metraphot for Leica. 

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1

I would imagine they were outsourced (and most probably will be again if Leica do resurrect the meter) but I'm still intrigued to know if the 25 in this edition are part of a larger number of newly manufactured MR meters.

Maybe that's what the big announcement in January is all about? [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course, the M®-10!! I hear it's a bit thinner than the older model, with auto ISO!

Do M-A owners really use MR meters on top of their cameras?

I just filled my craving for a second film in addition to my M6 (0.85x VF) with an single-stroke M3 that I just got from Japan. I immediately got a Sekonic L208 for it. Wouldn't consider using a meter on top of my camera, particularly as I prefer to take incident readings.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Hello Everybody,

A number of years ago Metrawatt, which produced the camera top meters for Leitz/Leica cameras, also made a very nice & very usable Metrastar hand held meter which was sold by Leitz in the 1970's.

Metrawatt was absorbed into Gossen a number of years ago.

Some earlier hand held Leitz meters were produced by Weston.

Hammertone is a finish which is sometimes used on certain types of laboratory equipment.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht