Criticism and pleasant photography

FMB

Guest Stefan R.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Stefan, yellow card.

One more offense and you'll take your time out.

You are the one who claims critics should be more direct. Gerald only talked about your images but insulted him personally.

My patience is definitely at an end.

Andreas

and? I know, thats what you want, that I leave, so then we can go over again to our fantastic pictures again.

I didnt insulted him at all, I just said that that his comment is "narrow-minded". and today I still think it, so if it makes you feel better kick me out. you can delete me, but you cant change my opinion.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Stefan R.

You are the one who claims critics should be more direct.

Andreas

Something else Andreas, when we analyze a whole body of work, a complete portfolio, it needs time, it needs hours even days. to make it understandable, we would write down our thoughts, this would fill up some pages. so if somebody wants to do it, welcome.... I am just doing it with students portfolios, it is hard work.

just 10 words for a whole body of work is not enough, a whole portfolio is much more complex, and it is unimportant who is the photographer.

regards Stefan

and? I know, thats what you want, that I leave, so then we can go over again to our fantastic pictures again.

I didnt insulted him at all, I just said that that his comment is "narrow-minded". and today I still think it, so if it makes you feel better kick me out. you can delete me, but you cant change my opinion.

Stefan, read your own posting

your comment is "narrow-minded" since your one of these narrow-minded who judge through the net about persons they dont know. just talk about pictures if you are able to.

Andreas

Guest Stefan R.
Stefan, read your own posting

Andreas

ok, I see, and I apologize, excuse me please, I wanted to say that his comment it is, "narrow minded" I dont know Gerald, so I can not judge him as person.

Difficult to say in English for me............... That's the "narrow-minded" (maybe not the wiser word in this case, but it came to my mind when I wrote) face of the work, like if people couldn't see through it.

Gérald,

I think the word you were looking for is 'constrained' or 'rule-bound'.

Michael

Advertisement (gone after registration)

stefan, you are totaly rite about serious overview of portfolios and photographs for real benefit of critique.

but do you do it here?? though i dont agree, but maybe the impression of "narrow-minded" is partly because your critique that is manily a woooof wooooof like a buldog and only concentrated on some technical stuff ?

your critique doesnt really function like critique, in functions manily as provokative "alarms". is it enough? i like your way, i can be very provaokative myself (remember), but, there is no learning process in it. yes, at least the alarm, but not enough.

what about exposision in the photograph, what about various aspects???

jan is rite, the real critique is much harder actually (or at least many members here would feel that way). i said already, for some people (like dancer students actors and artists) stefan would be a paradise :))

i also think that at least basically, the 5w that jan mentioned is good starting point. but again, the importtant thing is to show and undercover the things that are "invisible" in the picture. the 5w is imporant discursive learning of looking at photo and making photo, but there must be intuition to content, aesthetic etc to be developed as well. the feeling of the photograph, the things that it radiates to the viewer on non-discurssive mental level etc.....

people react to picture (and make pictures) too obviously and kitchy, only what you see now and directly - only to the physical properties of the photograph. this is very narrow-minded way of seeing photography. the learning process neccassarly should include the other deeper aspects of photography side by side with the physical aspects (including technical issues). wooooooooof wooooooooooooof if not enough, and so is crying and yeling that somebody doesnt say "cute cute" is not enough from the side of the photographers who post.