Drama & musicals photography

LocalHero1953

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am starting this thread for members who photograph rehearsals and performances of plays and musicals. Those of us who do face specific problems:

• Terrible lighting (dim, or highly coloured).
  • Distracting backgrounds (fire safety notices visible in period costume dramas).
  • Artificial drama and emotions.

And yet we have to help create the miracle of the theatre, the suspension of disbelief. And sell tickets.
I want to see how others deal with these challenges.

The mods have agreed that this thread can, for a while, be pinned to the top of the subforum. If it gets traction, it would stay there by its own popularity, so please post your work!

I shall post a few of my own to start with. (You can see more in the link in my signature).

Dress rehearsals of Dunsinane, by David Greig, performed at Storey's Field, Centre, Cambridge by Corkscrew Theatre, October 2021.
It follows the consequences of the English invasion and occupation of Scotland at the end of the action of MacBeth.
All shot with SL2-S

Dress rehearsals of White Lies by Rob Shearman, performed by BAWDS at the Corpus Playroom, Cambridge, January 2022.
A married couple spice up their dull life with an imaginary friend - who becomes slightly too intimate.
All photography with the SL2-S.

Rehearsals and (at the end) a staged publicity shot of Present Laughter by Noel Coward, performed by BAWDS at the ADC Cambridge, September 2021.
All photography with SL2-S.

Early rehearsals for Someone who'll watch over me by Frank McGuinness, to be performed at the end of this month in Corpus Playroom, Cambridge by Corkscrew Theatre Company.
Three hostages locked up together in Lebanon.
All photography with the SL2-S

Graham Nash during a pre-show sound check

I had intended this thread for drama (plays) & musicals (music theatre) rather than music performance - no less interesting, but different challenges.
But hey, if no one else is posting about drama & musicals, then it is what it is🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, man:men said:

Hej, I will join in in this thread with my earlier theater photography too.

But first I have to make a selection between lots of photos. So see you later if you want

I look forward to seeing them!

I said a while back while traveling that I'd hop in here when I got back and could access my hard drive storage. Here goes. These are from a variety of productions performed by the University of Wisconsin Theatre Department. I did their production photography for almost 20 years.

Posted (edited)

One of the people I worked with in the University Theatre Department has made it big. Her name is Carrie Coon and she's been in a number of TV series, movies,  and Broadway plays. She currently has the lead role in the HBO series, "The Gilded Age," which is a huge hit and will likely get her an Emmy nomination. Here are a few shots of her during the time she was working on her Masters degree in Theatre.

Edited by fotografr

Posted (edited)

A few more random shots.

Edited by fotografr