Q3 - Macro photography

I am also interested to know what these Hoya lenses will do on the Q3. The other night I tested out the macro facility to see how large things could be reproduced, and found that my 20MP Canon R6 with RF85mm lens would enlarge more. I am disappointed that the Q3 is not very powerful in macro as it stands, despite the cool switch to that mode!

David

Even with a 100mm lens, depending on your subject, you’ll be quite close up with 1:1. And then some Macro lenses show significant focus breathing the closer you get such as my EF 100L. I wouldn’t try to do serious macro shoots with the Q3. The macro mode is good enough for flowers but everything else will probably be too small and/or leave you with really low resolution. 

Thank you jaapv and Qwertynm for your answers. I know macro lenses and that the Q3 and its 28mm are not made for that. This is why the idea is to "have fun" with macro mode and an additional lens (like I did with the Fuji X30 at 28mm with additional lens Raynox 250) :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I thought I could do a bit of the same thing with the lenses I was talking about. But I would prefer to have some feedback before spending a small amount buying them 🙂

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, Miltz said:

I love macro mode on the Q3. It’s great for what it is. Yet my Olympus setup with 60mm macro ruins the Q3 even at 20MP. It can’t compete with a real macro lens. 

I have the Olympus 60mm macro lens on my Panasonic GX8 and it's a great lens. Sure the Q3 cannot compete this gear... but maybe with an additional lens we can do some even better / fun macros 😉

19 minutes ago, Miltz said:

I love macro mode on the Q3. It’s great for what it is. Yet my Olympus setup with 60mm macro ruins the Q3 even at 20MP. It can’t compete with a real macro lens. 

Yes. I think the advantage is that we can focus on something as close as 17cm, as opposed to 30cm in the normal mode. Macro may be a misnomer. But I am not complaining! 😀

David

15 hours ago, VoxFabiani said:

Thank you jaapv and Qwertynm for your answers. I know macro lenses and that the Q3 and its 28mm are not made for that. This is why the idea is to "have fun" with macro mode and an additional lens (like I did with the Fuji X30 at 28mm with additional lens Raynox 250) :

I thought I could do a bit of the same thing with the lenses I was talking about. But I would prefer to have some feedback before spending a small amount buying them 🙂

Oh yes it is quite possible of course. It is mainly that getting so close to the subject causes difficulties with the light and perspective. 

Just as a reference, you can see my post from a few weeks ago.  I love the "macro" feature and the performance is outstanding.  Yes you have to crop quite a bit to get close to a true macro lens and to isolate the subject from the wide 28mm view, but the performance of the lens and the 60MP sensor is amazing.  You won't be making a big print from it, but for viewing and even 8x10 it works.  See if you agree.  I have other examples i could show.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Getting close..Q3 Macro

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!