Leica Film Odyssey for a beginner

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a 503cx. The PME-5(?) worked well. It had a meter - you just had to remember to set the ISO & widest f-stop for the lens. It then gave you the EV. 

I've never really been a fan of the prism finders on Hasselblads. I like the waist level finder. They do have their benefits, though (meter, not needing to own a stepladder to take a portrait, keeping your head up when photographing an attacking lion etc).

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I've never really been a fan of the prism finders on Hasselblads. I like the waist level finder. They do have their benefits, though (meter, not needing to own a stepladder to take a portrait, keeping your head up when photographing an attacking lion etc).

Eoin

I didn't even know they had another kind of visor until my mate in KL told me to try and het one. Personally I like the idea of standing on a busy street corner perving and looking down on the top of the camera, snapping away without anyone giving a f$%K what I am doing...............that was one of the reasons to get this camera so as to not scare the sweet old ladies with a DSLR or my M6............no the M6 is cool, it ain't going to scare anyone.

We will need to get together when I get home and help me figure out how to shoot this puppy. I have a meter so I am not worried about that, and I am now happy about the sweet sixteen rule :)

• Like 1

Neil, please tell us where you post your Hassy musings; on APUG or M-Focus forums so we can join en-masse. The Hasselblad forum is more or less dead. Photo.net also has a MF forum. Please please tell us where you go.

It is 120 film you need and 220 film is hard to find so dont bother with a 220 back. You cannot run 120 in a 220 back and vice versa.

The waist level finder moves in the opposite direction to you. Please set your tape recorder (or if you have one, a mobile phone) into record mode so we can hear your squeals of displeasure the first time this happens. I would love to hear the "Awai ter f***!"

I am almost sad I wont see you and your toys on your Alpine trip as I will be in Dorset then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I can't wait for the next episode!

Loading magazines, remembering to remove the blind, the winder not working, what does EV mean, and focusing!  

John your too late mate......been watching videos all afternoon on loading film, adjusting EV's and what to do when the winder won't turn in a 503CW. Ive also been leaning about a incident meter and a digital back, but I will save that puppy for chapter 5

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

took a couple of boring digital Q sunset shots of the food truck arriving........could be having ice cream tonight :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

John your too late mate......been watching videos all afternoon on loading film, adjusting EV's and what to do when the winder won't turn in a 503CW. Ive also been leaning about a incident meter and a digital back, but I will save that puppy for chapter 5

Well don't ruin it for us!

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Well don't ruin it for us!

too funny. .......No I won't do that,

I will just have to figure out how to throw in the word Hassie every now and then and not get into trouble with the mods.

Bottom line, is the M6 is the bride, the hassle is the little bit on the side, if I get bored at a later date with the Hassie (I hope not) then I may try one of those Rollers :)

Ravi , you can post on our film thread , look at Adam's pictures

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/page-708

Neil already knows it :)

Rg

H.

Hi Henry,

Sorry not for my postings but Neil's.

Besides which as post #13 from a moderator clearly reiterates the rules: Only photos from a Leica camera or lens.

That is why I suggested Neil lets us know which other forum he goes to when he has more questions and an epic fail or two in his learning process with the Hassy.

I am sure when he starts home developing we will all enjoy helping him load his film in the dark and cool his chemicals down from 32C room temperature in Malaysia or warm them up from the Scottish 15C.

Edited by Sandokan
  • Like 1

Good on you Neil. Keep the entertainment running.

I tell you, though - Plaubel Makina!  True 7x6 medium format, range finder, 120 roll film, available in either standard (80mm) or wide (55mm). Great secondhand prices and you can almost fit it in your pocket!

Not wanting to spend your money for you, Neil :ph34r: , but I'd get a 2nd Magazine long before I'd get a Prism Finder. In particular, it answers your question about what to do when you're half way through a film and night time arrives.

• Like 1

Good on you Neil. Keep the entertainment running.

I tell you, though - Plaubel Makina!  True 7x6 medium format, range finder, 120 roll film, available in either standard (80mm) or wide (55mm). Great secondhand prices and you can almost fit it in your pocket!

If and when I try MF, that's going to be my camera! They look great and seem to be relatively good bargains.
  • Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I'm just waiting for Neil to discover the Mamiya 645 system :D:ph34r:

I looked at one today japan ....they are not as sexy as the Hassie :)

• Like 1