Leica Film Odyssey for a beginner

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Neil,

You don't actually "rewind" a 120 film. It winds from the original spool to the take up spool, and shifts entirely from one to the other. The film has a continuous roll of backing paper.

Once on the "take-up spool" it is then "affixed" with a slip of tape so it can't unwind. And it is then ready to be processed. Ideally, low light or shaded light, not full sunlight.

Simple once you've done it once.

Gary

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Neil,

You don't actually "rewind" a 120 film. It winds from the original spool to the take up spool, and shifts entirely from one to the other. The film has a continuous roll of backing paper.

Once on the "take-up spool" it is then "affixed" with a slip of tape so it can't unwind. And it is then ready to be processed. Ideally, low light or shaded light, not full sunlight.

Simple once you've done it once.

Gary

Cheers mate

We all know my escapades with the M6 so I don't need more load unload issues, or I'll look like a right plonker :) 

• Like 1

Yes Neil, there is a lever next to winding knob for mirror up.

I dont Know that lens. The 120 macro is pretty good as you can get close. I also have a 150/2.8 FE which is pretty good too and the 110/2 is a monster to focus as its depth of field is less than a Noctilux. You will need a different body than the 500 series though :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

two days ago I ordered a bunch of 135 and 120 film and a lightbox from B&H, but forgot to order 39, 46, 67 orange filters. Now that I will be playing with 120 film is there anything else that I should/must get from B&H while I have the chance to ship it all at the same time???

Cant wait to see the shopping list you guys come up with :) :) :)

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Surely you need a new camera bag? Any ideas anyone? Good bag for a combined Leica and Hassy kit? Functional yet stylish?

Got already the Harley Pro. I also have the bigger Billinham bag but cant remember what its called

two days ago I ordered a bunch of 135 and 120 film and a lightbox from B&H, but forgot to order 39, 46, 67 orange filters. Now that I will be playing with 120 film is there anything else that I should/must get from B&H while I have the chance to ship it all at the same time???

Cant wait to see the shopping list you guys come up with :) :) :)

Neil - I'd think medium yellow would be more useful than orange. Also a polarizing filter is very good to have.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Neil - I'd think medium yellow would be more useful than orange. Also a polarizing filter is very good to have.

Adam

I've ordered the Yellow-Orange (040) MRC Filter its the same I used on my MM. I've added the polarizing filter to use with the Blad

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I'd really think that this is mostly what you need.

I also ordered a spare dark slide as I don't think they would be ready available in KL and I know what I am like.

One time in the south of England, me and my wife managed to find our way onto a private fishing estate and I shot some lovely pictures of the local gentry out fishing..............they all thought it was quite jolly to have a Scotsman running around with a Leica S taking there pictures. Anyway to cut a long story short, me and my wife left and went to shoot a local church. When we arrived at the church I needed my 30mm lens to get everything in the shot, so I shouted to my wife who was in the car to help me and get the camera bag off the back seat of the car, she shouted what camera bag, and of course as you do I screamed back "The frigging Harley bag" to her reply there is no bag on the back seat.

Well f$%k me, "I might as well do it myself" I was muttering on my way back to the car, but in horror it wasn't there. I searched everywhere for that frigging bag, under the seats, in the boot, emptied the suitcase out on the floor..........., no frigging bag, by this time I am sweating and going fuc%$%g ballistic, in the bag is a brand fu%$%ng new Leica S120mm and a another new Leica S30mm, along with a hole assortment of filters batteries, you know what all would have been in that bag. Well back in the car we get and speed of like a pair of frigging maniacs, with my wife now in tears and swearing to never go on another frigging holiday with me again. While driving into the estate where I am thinking I have left my camera bag we get stopped by some guy with a shotgun and a dog. He asks us where we are going and I tell him that I think I have left my camera bag down at the river. He says we are not allowed in and that we should'nt have come in in the first place. He told me to turn around and leave so off I took speeding down the gravel path, saying to myself "F%^k him, I ain't leaving that frigging bag with 15 grands of lenses at the river. By now my wife is hysterical and completely doing my frigging head in,................im ducking while driving incase the lord of the manor fires of a couple of rounds of 12 gauge into the back window just like Starkey and Hutch. 

We make it to the location of where we thought the bag might be, but it wasn't there. More panic set in, I jump in the car and off we go again, at this point my wife says to me, why don't you look at the last picture on your stupid camera and then you will know where you left your stupid bag............... smart lady. I stop the car and go to grab my camera off the back seat of the car "It ain't frigging there, I check the boot and it aint there either. At this point I am frigging crying, my wife says you left the stupid frigging camera at the church, "now what are you going to do".

Well F$%k me, I'm really in stook now, and looking like that gaggie in the movie 'One who flew over the cuckoo's nest"

We decide to keep looking for my bag, after about 15 minutes of driving along this river bank, with my wife jumping in and out of the car to open the farm gates, and me nearly throwing up.............. We find it sitting on this little out crop where I had been shooting a small waterfall.

Back in the car again, and back through the half a dozen farm gates with my wife in and out of the car, and with me "Mr patient" just near to exploding. We speed past the manor house at about 70 miles an hour like Bonny and Clyde, out onto the main road and back to the little church that has my Leica S and tripod.................

Well there's not all bad in this world, my camera still sitting on its tripod, with tourists walking around it without a care in the world :) :)

So after all that I think it was a good idea to get a spare dark slide.

Later............what do you think??

Neil

• Like 8

Wow, what a gripping story! thanks for sharing it. An extra dark slide is always cost/space-beneficial to have around. As is an extra threaded cable release.

Hasselblads are really great. But they aint as durable and tank-like as Leicas. So they should be handled with some care b/c they arent fun to have fixed and so many of the Hassies on the second hand market have skeletons waiting to come out. Knock on wood with yours, but i have had my SWC CLA'd twice in the past year. First time b/c i initially treated it like my Leicas, and quickly learned that i have to be very gentle with the shutter advance. It contains an intricate mechanical system and the inner parts seem more delicate than what is inside the Leicas

The technician who worked on my SWC told me that once upon a time the vast majority of Hassies on his bench were routine maintenance of cameras belonging to professionals. Nowadays, the vast majority of Hassies on his bench are CLA's of bodies recently purchased on the second hand market. He also remarked of a severe lack of spare parts. All the more reason the use the camera with care.

Edited by A miller
  • Like 1

I worked in a camera shop when I was 17 - only a few years ago ;) - and I'd see pro's bringing Hasselblad stuff in almost daily for repair work.

Now, at the time the Hassy was the camera of choice for most pro's working in medium format, and they would be worked hard, so it's got to be seen in perspective, but a few pro's were using Bronica's and they never seemed to have any problems.

I wanted a MF camera at the time and we got an ETRS, which I still have. The electronic leaf shutter in one of the lenses started playing up recently but I just bought another lens for under £100 rather than having it repaired. The Bronica cameras were and still are often overlooked.

Of course the Hassy is 100% mechanical which means that most stuff can be easily fixed (assuming a spare part is available!).

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

from my lost Leica S escapades

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Since we are spending Neil's money, I will throw my hat into the ring with this Millenial's amazing large format cameras

And I have a friend who shoots Hasselblad for a living, uses the V system with film and digital backs. He swears by the 180mm F4 CF so maybe consider that one instead of the 160mm 4.8.

Have fun going camera crazy, maybe I will be able to do that when I take full ownership of my dad's construction company.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Since we are spending Neil's money, I will throw my hat into the ring with this Millenial's amazing large format cameras

And I have a friend who shoots Hasselblad for a living, uses the V system with film and digital backs. He swears by the 180mm F4 CF so maybe consider that one instead of the 160mm 4.8.

Have fun going camera crazy, maybe I will be able to do that when I take full ownership of my dad's construction company.

Mike whats the difference between the CF and the CFE apart from about $1200 bucks??

Mike whats the difference between the CF and the CFE apart from about $1200 bucks??

Mmmm...I can't say that I know.

I think his might have actually been the CFI? It looked pretty modern and cost him about $1,150 a couple years ago. He has like 6-8 Hasselblad lenses and raves about this one.