Leica Film Odyssey for a beginner

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's my own rule for me, Mark, in the dark (as opposed to in the sun), as described in the line above that fatuous comment of mine!

The shutter speed is not the reciprocal of the ISO, that's for sunny 16. This is reciprocal of the focal length approaching minimum hand-holdable shutter speed. Obviously there are circumstances one could go slower.

ISO 400 film

Maximum, or just near maximum, aperture 1.4-2.0.

Shutter-speed ± the reciprocal of the focal length of the lens (i.e. 1/30 sec ± a bit for a 35mm lens).

or, to make it even easier to understand: 

Low light, maximum lens aperture, minimum hand-holdable shutter speed, lots of exposure attitude with ISO 400 film, and lot more luck ;)
but seems to work much of the time  :)

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 4

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I'm back with some pictures from the last roll of film that I shot.........The more I play with these film files the more I like them, I can wait to get home and do all the developing and digitising myself :)

These were shot with Ilford 400

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

And some more with Ilford 400

• Like 7

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

last two for today

• Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yep.  What MarkP says.  Don't forget we are not trying to get a normal exposure at night...it's meant to look dark! 

As to exposures, and changing ISO speed essentially underexposing...you will be surprised what can be pried out of a neg.  If you grossly underexpose, or overexpose, they can be treated with chemistry to enhance or reduce the silver...all part of the fun of the darkroom.

Press on regardless; I totally understand your feeling for the camera and the process.  The rest is up to the photographer...as we all know.

all best Dave S

• Like 2

Good work, Neil. I can see that you're getting the understanding that it's not about resolution and crispness, the way digital tends to be - It's about capturing the light, and how it's affected by different sources and surfaces.

I'm impressed.

• Like 2

Surprised that no one except Eoin seems interested in stand development (my post #718), which, to me at least, is fascinating not only because one can expose individual frames on one roll of film at various ISOs, which is the question the OP asked in post #709), but also because of the look it gives. But, hey, I can always start a thread specifically on this to see what experience others have had with this.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Surprised that no one except Eoin seems interested in stand development (my post #718), which, to me at least, is fascinating not only because one can expose individual frames on one roll of film at various ISOs, which is the question the OP asked in post #709), but also because of the look it gives. But, hey, I can always start a thread specifically on this to see what experience others have had with this.

No don't do that. I will be doing a similar thing when I get home...............I will look forward to sharing that with you guys then :)

Neil - before you shoot various ISOs on one roll, you'd better find out whether your lab does stand development. Many labs don't. The small lab in Chiang Mai does it because one of the owners is a stand development enthusiast, and wanted to get more experience with it.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Neil - before you shoot various ISOs on one roll, you'd better find out whether your lab does stand development. Many labs don't. The small lab in Chiang Mai does it because one of the owners is a stand development enthusiast, and wanted to get more experience with it.

I plan on devolving the film by myself

• Like 1

Good idea. Stand development doesn't need exact timing or exact temperature, so it should be a good idea as a way of starting film development. However, I've never tried doing it myself because when I was developing film myself, some 15 years ago, I had never heard of strand development.

Edited by not_a_hero

I'd say it's easier, and a lot more predictable (not to mention faster), to use Diafine instead of stand development. 

I don't think Diafine is available in Malaysia, and importing chemicals is difficult without licenses. Ilford chemicals are readily available, though.

All very nice Neil.

PS: I don't ever use noise reduction...on anything. Period.

Grain is good.

+1 on this, Neil. Noise reduction is programmed for handling digital noise, which is not a factor in film, or (generally) in the scanning process. I suggest leaving it out of the process flow.

Stand development will elicit howls if you mention it in the right circles. Other than that it's your camera and you're driving; do as you please, have fun and learn. Stand can deliver some great results but I've never looked at it as a panacea or magic bullet.

s-a