NEW M.. This year.. This Fall...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The T mount is clearly large enough to support full-frame use and it would be bizarre if Leica were to introduce yet another lens mount format in the new camera. I'd like to think the T mount was designed with the (then unknown) SL in mind. 

So, one approach would be to take the Q, put a focal plane shutter on it and equip it with a T lens mount. That would allow SL lenses (if I can call them that) to be used on the T and T lenses to be used on the SL in a cropped mode in the same way Nikon DX lenses can be used on an FX body. That might also allow M and R lenses to be used on the SL in the same way they can be used on a T now using the existing adapters.

If the new camera has a completely new lens mount compatible with nothing, that would suggest that Leica are completely incapable of future proofing their designs. The M mount has lasted, what, 60 years? The T mount is just a couple of years old.

• Like 3

If the new camera has a completely new lens mount compatible with nothing, that would suggest that Leica are completely incapable of future proofing their designs. The M mount has lasted, what, 60 years? The T mount is just a couple of years old.

Indeed, Mark. And reading between the lines of Michael's very informative posts, I think we can count on Leica not to make a mistake with this. To me, the SL seems to be the answer to a lot of requests and suggestions that have been posted on this forum the last couple of years. I'm quite optimistic about the coming week.

87 pages of speculation (most of which talk about SL, S, T, R and whatever else but M) and still none the wiser even if an M is coming out or not (nevermind its details).

Hints abound.

Leica is doing a pretty good job of keeping a lid on their new announcement.  What time on Tuesday is the Leica presentation? 

Found answer: We cordially invite you to a celebration of photography in the the spirit of "Das Wesentliche". From October 20, 6:30 p.m. on until October 21, approximately 1:00 p.m, 

True, but this shot does not look like a tripod shot and/or location. Looks like a hand-held snap, which is good, because it's spontaneous. Seems to me this photo shows nice, clean high ISO. (whatever the camera was that Dr. Kaufmann used)

Edited by peterv

... Any news on the elusive new M? Or do we still have to wait the 2 days left to find out?

Seems 98,5% sure that a new M i.e. a new Digital RF won't be part of the announcement.  

Within the event they probably will speak of the M line... but I think in generic terms (positioning in respect to SL etc...) : don't see the reason for they would make "pre-announcements" or "disclosures" about... it would distract from the main product intro.

For those of you who use Facebook, Dr. Kaufmann posted another mysterious photo:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206683780547272&set=a.1788779113368.101241.1056276522&type=3

Very little noise at +2 EV seemingly:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Is it a common skill to be able to judge whether a photo was taken from a tripod or handheld? If so, could I learn it? Sounds cool.

Well... :)... I think that peterv observation was based mainly on the fact that, looking at the aspect of the taking (people, street doors...) seems that it was made with camera at the height of a person handling the camera at his eye... a portable tripod not often extends to such height... of course this is just a vague hint... but is no nonsense considering that Dr. Kaufmann is an amateur... ;)

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 2