Which M lenses do you want to own??

Herr Barnack

The only M lens I'd like to add is a 75 Summicron. Well, maybe I'd exchange my 50 Summicron for a 50 Summilux ASPH... maybe.

But the only Leica lens I'm probably going to buy is a 120 APO Macro Summarit. 

I didn't know Leica M has a 120mm macro lens. Are you referring to R lenses?

The only M lens I'd like to add is a 75 Summicron. Well, maybe I'd exchange my 50 Summicron for a 50 Summilux ASPH... maybe.

But the only Leica lens I'm probably going to buy is a 120 APO Macro Summarit. 

I didn't know Leica M has a 120mm macro lens. Are you referring to R lenses?

I have the following lenses and now also don't know which next lens to buy...

21mm F2.8,

28mm F1.4,

35mm F1.4

50mm F2.0 and

90mm F2

Just relax

Most people would be happy with that collection

If you have money burning a hole then consider if you need lighter then f2 for 50mm or if you need 16mm ???

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm (currently) not excited by any of the modern leica lenses, so my wish list is (in order);

3.4/21 SA

2/35 v4 cron

and if pushed, a 1.4/35 pre asph lux (for no real reason).

Picked up a 21 SA, so my wish list is considerably smaller. 

I'm undecided on the 35 though... I currently have the Voigtlander 2.5/52, but the wish list is now one of;

2/35v4 cron

2/35v3 cron

1.4/35 pre-asph lux.

I borrowed a mates pre-asph and I must say it is something special... but 0.7m min focus is handy... but oooh it's special that pre-asph... and on and on I go!

Cheers,

Michael

Having just left an almost 5 year stint with Fuji, & seeing their lens development slowly transition from very small & useable on my X-Pro1 to very large & DSLR like , I am now in lens wonderland with my new to me M-240.  When I look at all of the existing, wonderful options offered by Leica, Zeiss & Voigtlander, I am simply overwhelmed.  But my plan is to work with a small kit of not more than 4-6 lenses, & I have a Leica 90, Zeiss 50 & CV21.  So I just need to get a Leica or Zeiss 35 & 28 to make that happen.

• Like 1

I've long had a fascination with Leica glass ever since I bought a 35mm Summicron ASPH around a decade ago (and STUPIDLY sold it. Stupid Stupid Stupid.) I wanted to have so many different lenses because I appreciated their aesthetic and design but of course for the way they created images and painted with light. 

In the last year I got my start with really using the M system and as of this month I decided to sell everything else and commit to the system fully and it's allowing me now to finally acquire the lenses I've wanted to use for some time now. 

Naturally I would love to at least try some of the more exotic glass, but I don't really have a NEED for them, what I felt that I would actually need was a set of summicrons (28-35-50) because those are my most used focal lengths and I like the size / weight / performance balance of the Summicron lineup. 

As of today I have the 35 Summicron ASPH (again!) and the 50 Summicron, and once I sell some remaining items I will be able to purchase the 28 Summicron thereby completing the kit I've set out to build, and realizing a decade-long dream. 

That being said, I would definitely love to eventually get my hands on a 50 Summilux ASPH.  Other than that to be perfectly honest there are some lenses I'd like to try or use, but I can't see anything else I'd really want or need to own for my own use.  I will however always be on the lookout for oddball old lenses to try, because that's part of the fun. I'm not looking to collect though, I only want to own equipment I'm going to use actively and regularly. 

• Like 1

I've become obsessed with the 50 APO.  I kind of want to trade my Summilux 50 toward one.  But I've kind of become emotionally attached to the Lux, as silly as it sounds.  It's been with me across 35k miles, 5 countries, 6 states in just under a year.  And it was the first piece of Leica gear I ever owned.  So it has sentimental value.

• Like 4

Some think these two are 'too close together' but I've found they do differentiate themselves nicely.

s-a

I agree, 28/35/50 can be considered very close, but I find they serve distinctly different purposes. Plus I (like so many others) use 28/50 as a pair on two bodies, and I use 35 on its own with just one body. It all depends on what I'm shooting / carrying with me. 

Seems to work for me ;)

• Like 3