New models of Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would bet against that as well.  That would eat into the 'T' and also 'M' lines

Why protect one product line from another at the expense of creating the best and most popular product you can?

I suspect the M line will survive on its own merits anyway, but above all I'd like Leica to make the best cameras they can.

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 4

Why protect one product line from another at the expense of creating the best and most popular product you can?

I suspect the M line will survive on its own merits anyway, but above all I'd like Leica to make the best cameras they can.

If we were talking about Apple I would say you are right, they are not afraid of making the best products.  

However, Leica's attempts to successfully 'make the best cameras they can' have not been as successful as others.  I would have bought the 'T' had it had an built-in EVF.  I have the X1 none of its successors have excited me to 'upgrade'.  As a reference point I have 'upgraded' my iPhone every year and my iPad every other year (although the advancements may be incremental- I work hard and am able to obtain the best) none of Leica's products-to date have 'juiced' me like 'the best phones or tablets' until the Q.- I have pre-ordered the Q.

i still stand by my earlier statement. No interchangeable lens 'Q' series. As I have read the lens and sensor are a single unit with the body being a separate unit, so an interchange lens 'Q' type of camera would be a separate 'beast' ala the T.  I can envision a FF autofocus 'T' mount camera which would be priced between the Q and M. Unless it had a built in EVF I wouldn't be interested in.

just my opinion feel free to disagree (I don't have any special inside knowledge, I wait and pay retail for my cameras and put my socks on 1 at a time).

If we were talking about Apple I would say you are right, they are not afraid of making the best products.  

However, Leica's attempts to successfully 'make the best cameras they can' have not been as successful as others.  I would have bought the 'T' had it had an built-in EVF.  I have the X1 none of its successors have excited me to 'upgrade'.  As a reference point I have 'upgraded' my iPhone every year and my iPad every other year (although the advancements may be incremental- I work hard and am able to obtain the best) none of Leica's products-to date have 'juiced' me like 'the best phones or tablets' until the Q.- I have pre-ordered the Q.

i still stand by my earlier statement. No interchangeable lens 'Q' series. As I have read the lens and sensor are a single unit with the body being a separate unit, so an interchange lens 'Q' type of camera would be a separate 'beast' ala the T.  I can envision a FF autofocus 'T' mount camera which would be priced between the Q and M. Unless it had a built in EVF I wouldn't be interested in.

just my opinion feel free to disagree (I don't have any special inside knowledge, I wait and pay retail for my cameras and put my socks on 1 at a time).

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, but I wasn't trying to predict whether an IL Q is feasible, or what features I'd personally like to see.

But if an IL Q  is possible, it would seem daft not to make it simply to protect the T line. There may be plenty of good reasons for not making it even if it is possible, but protecting existing products should not be one of them. That is my point.

• Like 1

The sales blurb on Leica's website is silent about weather proofing. Is anything known about this. This could be an attractive feature. 

Wilson

I'm going to repeat this as many times as I can as this is my area of testing and experience. There is not one camera for retail consumer use that is weather proof. There are several levels of tempesting as far as shock resistance and weather resistance. Foe purposes of Leica there is splash and dust resistance, not complete weather sealing. Be very wary of the term weather proof.

I'm going to repeat this as many times as I can as this is my area of testing and experience. There is not one camera for retail consumer use that is weather proof. There are several levels of tempesting as far as shock resistance and weather resistance. Foe purposes of Leica there is splash and dust resistance, not complete weather sealing. Be very wary of the term weather proof.

JD,

As you say, there are degrees. My M8 or M9, I would be wary of using in a light drizzle. My M240, I would use carefully in light rain. What might interest me would be a camera I could use in heavy rain or take on a boat ride, where it might get a splash over it. However as Brian says, if they don't say, assume it has not even splash proofing. 

Wilson

Now that medium format CMOS sensors have started to replace CCDs, medium format DSLRs will soon give way to mirrorless MF cameras. The only question for Leica is whether they will lead or follow.

Does this mean the end for the Leica S system after all it is a MF DSLR system.

As for the only question, Leica hasn't led for years…..lol.

Ken.

Does this mean the end for the Leica S system after all it is a MF DSLR system.

As for the only question, Leica hasn't led for years…..lol.

Ken.

Ken, 

Having recently watched a professional at work with a Phase MF camera, he was using it as a mirrorless anyway, composing on a tethered iPad, which was clipped to his tripod. When he had the AF turned off, he was even focusing on the iPad, using the zoom facility and remote focusing. It is always a revelation watching a really competent professional doing pretty much anything but watching him playing tunes on his iPad was amazing. He could flick over to a different app, which controlled his lighting wirelessly. The only thing that was being done manually was getting his assistant to move the tripod and the aim of the camera. 

Wilson

FWIW: a recent interview with Olympus head of customer care has him complaining about people exposing the OM-D (weather sealed, they make a big deal out this in their marketing) to water including just emptying a bottle of Evian on it. It would seem that the sealed OM-D is not what people expect it to be.

There is a lot of misunderstandings about this. Apart from the fact that these cameras are not submergible no matter what unless specified and only to specification (usually expressed as some ATM value), a weather sealed camera is only sealed in combination with a sealed lens and all ports closed and protected by the rubber covers and all seals still operating properly. Divers know that seals will age quickly and need continued care. 

A sealed camera by itself with no lens attached is not weather sealed. The body cap is not sealed. 

A sealed lens by itself is not weather sealed and when exposed to the elements, may suck in dirt, dust or... believe it or not... a fly

http://petapixel.com/2015/06/10/we-found-a-fly-inside-a-weather-sealed-lens/

I personally don't know what the buzz is about. If there is a very light drizzle, I will cover my camera, but I am convinced that the occasional drop will not damage anything at all and it hasn't - not on any of the plastic phantastics (read: Nikons, Canons) and not on any of Leicas.

If is more than a light drizzle then, excuse me, I am going to sit through this at Starbucks. I have no business wandering around in rain pointing my camera at things, but I am also not a professional photographer - so, what do I know...

As for the Q - it is not specified as weather sealed; that's all there is to say.

• Like 1

The problem is you can get caught out. A few years ago I was visiting my sister in law in Barbados. We went for a walk in a place called Welchman Hill Gully, the last remaining piece of original jungle in Barbados. When I got out of the car, it was blue skies horizon to horizon, so I did not take my Billingham bag for my M9. About 20 minutes later, a tropical downpour started with no Starbucks in sight, no shelter and a 20 minute walk back to the car. Luckily my wife spotted a trash can and I tore a bit off its black plastic bin liner to wrap up my M9. Now it would be nice to have a camera that you would not need to worry about in those sort of circumstances. 

Wilson

JD,

As you say, there are degrees. My M8 or M9, I would be wary of using in a light drizzle. My M240, I would use carefully in light rain. What might interest me would be a camera I could use in heavy rain or take on a boat ride, where it might get a splash over it. However as Brian says, if they don't say, assume it has not even splash proofing. 

Wilson

If I remember correctly: When standing on the ground we are at one atmosphere. If you fly on an airplane, by the time the plane goes through it's machinations to cruising altitude, it is at 0.75 atmospheres of pressure. If you dive underwater to 33 feet that is one additional atmosphere, or a total of two. 

What im saying is in natural everyday use there is not enough ambient pressure to,drive water into those camera bodies unless extreme circumstances were to happen. Where the problem exists is around turnavle knobs, pressable buttons and the mechanisms of lenses. Zooms being the worst as they have over two atmospheres of pressure when quickly zoomed in or out. There is a vent built into zoom lenses that in some instances is gasketed for moisture and dust resistance. Mostly cameras and lenses are protected by a bunch of o rings and membranes that don't wear too well. I believe Leica doesn't go overboard with thei lenses and a bunch of o rings as their lenses are fit and finished much more exacting thru tight tolerances that some of the less expensive stuff.

Keeping dust and moisture out of a Leica designed camera, in my experience, has been easier than some of the other brands.

even if the body were labeled as "weather resistant" the lenses are not............to a point.

JD, 

I think the point of entry of water on the M8 and 9 is the shutter release and speed dial, neither of which have O rings or proper labyrinths. Whereas I have had condensation problems on both the M8 and M9, it may be coincidence but I have never had on the M240. I understand it has a seal on both the shutter release and speed dial. I always keep a smear of silicone divers grease on my lens mounts, so that although damp air can get in out, I hope it would keep rain drops from penetrating. I know what you mean about zooms. I have a lump of fluff sitting stuck to the inside of the rear element of my Zeiss Contax 28-85 Vario Sonnar. However after reading about Lens Rentals experience with a whole fly sitting inside a lens, apparently causing no detectable problems, I am less concerned about it now.  :)

Wilson

Whereas I have had condensation problems on both the M8 and M9, it may be coincidence but I have never had on the M240. I understand it has a seal on both the shutter release and speed dial.

The speed dial of the M (Typ 240) doesn’t even need a seal as there is no connection between the dial and the inside of the body – no opening, no seal.

JD, 

I think the point of entry of water on the M8 and 9 is the shutter release and speed dial, neither of which have O rings or proper labyrinths. Whereas I have had condensation problems on both the M8 and M9, it may be coincidence but I have never had on the M240. I understand it has a seal on both the shutter release and speed dial. I always keep a smear of silicone divers grease on my lens mounts, so that although damp air can get in out, I hope it would keep rain drops from penetrating. I know what you mean about zooms. I have a lump of fluff sitting stuck to the inside of the rear element of my Zeiss Contax 28-85 Vario Sonnar. However after reading about Lens Rentals experience with a whole fly sitting inside a lens, apparently causing no detectable problems, I am less concerned about it now.  :)

Wilson

The M-240 is in fact, gasketed and reasonably moisture and dust resistant. I'd have to suspect the fly got in there via a laid egg getting sucked in there.