New models of Q

I think an X-Vario type version would be more likely than a range of primes a la Sigma. 

My my prefernce would be for what they've launched - 28mm + a 50mm version. There are a lot of advantages to be had when designing a lens+sensor+body as a single package from the ground up. 

For interchangeable, I'll stick with the M.

not really there are changes in DOF etc  and  you have just reinforced the role of zooms and primes of various focal lengths, It is a bit like telling someone to use a 300mm lens for landscapes just drive 5 kilometers or about 3 miles back and take the shot  .............other than that  read the following    https://luminous-landscape.com/leica-q-hands-on-and-video-interview/

Edited by Imants

This is a great promo idea but has little practical use as the images will have all the quirks of 28mm angle of view, distortions etc

No, of course they won’t. Distortions are due to the distance, not the focal length. There no such thing as an inherent property of a specific focal length, as far as the image is concerned – 28 mm may be a wide angle or a tele lens, depending on the image size.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you!

I cringe when I see some of the things I read on here... No wonder there is so much misinformation with such totally inaccurate statements made that then get repeated ad nauseum until they become 'fact' to those who know a little less.

That one was a bit of a peach though... jeez... :)

• Like 2

close up big nose portraits won't change

Such things are a function of the distance between the three dimensional subject and the camera, so...

If you fill the 28 frame you will get a large nose relative to ears

But if you fill the 50 frame you will be farther from the (unfortunate) subject and the nose will not be so latge in proportion.

This seems the last camera to choose for portraits IMHO...

Sorry if I am stating the obvious...

Gerry

• Like 1

The Q intrigues me no end, and I would be very interested in a 50mm version as a complementary camera.  I often use the Ricoh GR as my 28 while using the M9 + 50 Summicron or Sonnar.  A 50mm Q could very well replace the M9 + 50.

What's the bet that in a few years, there will be a silver chrome Q with gorilla glass touchscreen and no red dot?  Hermes is probably lining up a version as we ruminate now.  And could there be a Q a la carte program?

No, of course they won’t. Distortions are due to the distance, not the focal length. 

Correct.  For the record, when I referred to 'issues' at the edge of the frame, I wasn't referring to these types of distortions; rather to edge effects like vignetting, red edge, etc that would be eliminated by in-camera cropping, akin to using a 'cropped' camera like the M8.  

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

No, of course they won’t. Distortions are due to the distance, not the focal length. There no such thing as an inherent property of a specific focal length, as far as the image is concerned – 28 mm may be a wide angle or a tele lens, depending on the image size.

Wait a minute. You're going to have write me a dissertation on that theory. A further explanation if you will. 

If if I stand in one place and use a 24, 28, 35, 50 and 90 mm lens the subject is the same distance away. Why then does one lens show more distortion than another?

Wait a minute. You're going to have write me a dissertation on that theory. A further explanation if you will. 

If if I stand in one place and use a 24, 28, 35, 50 and 90 mm lens the subject is the same distance away. Why then does one lens show more distortion than another?

Given a perfect distortion free lens,  all the pics will overlap 100% where the angle of view overlaps.    Naturally a tele will not overlap a wide at the wides edges.

Perspective change is not distortion.   Perspective is size relation between near and far objects..    Simple proof.  Hold a finger close to your eye and note its size relation to a distant object.  Now move the finger away and note how the size relationship changes.   Same thing happens when you walk closer to a near object.  Focal length has nothing to do with it.

There is distortion in some lenses where straight line not through the center of the image curve in or out.    Leica lenses have little.    BUT as focals get shorter and shorter,  circular objects near the corners tend to go into ellipses.  This is a result of trying to get a three dimensional object onto a flat plane.  Can`t be done.   Study the different "projections" map makers use in an attempt to get a sphere planted on paper.  

• Like 1

Wait

It does not. Instead of endlessly arguing here, why don't you just go and try that thing? Most of us here discussing presumably have digital cameras so that taking a few frames does not take long and does not cost much.

It does not. Instead of endlessly arguing here, why don't you just go and try that thing? Most of us here discussing presumably have digital cameras so that taking a few frames does not take long and does not cost much.

Is there some specific reason you are jumping down my throat? I was trying to have a civil conversation, not an endless argument, and was just asking questions and further information.

That is a question you would have to put to the lens designer as it depends on how well the lens is corrected. In any case I was talking about perspective distortions, not radial distortions such as barrel or pincushion distortions.

I suppose we agree that perspective distortion doesn’t depend on the focal length, but on the distance. But radial distortion doesn’t depend on the focal length either. For a compact camera with a small (like 1/2.3") sensor a 28 mm lens would be a telephoto lens and you would expect a pincushion rather than a barrel distortion as is typically associated with wide angle lenses.

A lens with a longer focal length will create a larger image and it will also have a larger image circle. As the sensor size stays the same, using a short focal length implies that we have to make use of all of the image circle and as the image quality deteriorates towards the edges of the image circle we may have to deal with vignetting, barrel distortion etc.. Using a long focal length means the sensor will only use a small part of the image circle where vignetting isn’t much of an issue and distortion will be of the pincushion variety at worst.

In a sense we are always cropping when trying to get a larger image, either by increasing the image circle (optical zoom) or be decreasing the image size (digital zoom). An optical zoom is preserving the full sensor resolution whereas a digital zoom entails a loss of resolution but otherwise, both approaches deliver quite similar results.

Edited by mjh
  • Like 2