New models of Q

Groan - this one is in the shops for only a few hours and already we are hankering for next models... :rolleyes:

And then we blame the manufactures for driving a digital upgrade frenzy... :o

• Like 12

I predict they will have one with fixed 50 in a year, then fixed 35 in another and then perhaps a 90.  

thanks for that.    i was wondering what the missing models   N    O   and    P   would be?    :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I predict they will have one with fixed 50 in a year, then fixed 35 in another and then perhaps a 90.

Not likely to happen I’m afraid. 28 mm it is, for the foreseeable future anyway.

• Like 3

Wow, that was a close call!  If the Q had a T mount with a set of auto-focus lenses, I would order one today.

Luckily, I can just keep shooting with my dependable M 240 and T cameras until Leica comes out with the the Q interchangeable at the 2016 Photokina.

Ciao,  Sully 

Edited by Sully
  • Like 1

Groan - this one is in the shops for only a few hours and already we are hankering for next models... :rolleyes:

And then we blame the manufactures for driving a digital upgrade frenzy... :o

Well of course - even as we speak, the Q is drawing nigh unto obsolence.  If you order one today and pay for overnight air, it might arrive at your doorstep before it has become totally irrelevant...  :p

Edited by Carlos Danger

Wow, that was a close call!  If the Q had a T mount with a set of auto-focus lenses, I would order one today.

Ciao,  Sully 

That is exactly what I was hoping!... An "interchangeable lens" system other than "M"!

Not likely to happen I’m afraid. 28 mm it is, for the foreseeable future anyway.

That would be a real shame. I see other people on this forum would like to see what looks to be a great camera offered with some other focal lengths, and assume that might apply to the broader market.

For what little it is worth...Leica if you're reading this, I'd also vote for a 50mm.

Edited by peggers
  • Like 1

In a Quote from Jono Slack's review of the Q

"The camera has a ‘Digital frame selector’ mode – you can use the function key to toggle between 28mm (24mp) 35mm (15mp) and 50mm (8mp); the viewfinder doesn’t change its aspect ratio, but it has framelines showing the chosen focal length; very familiar for M users.

If you shoot DNG+jpg, then the jpg will reflect the digital zoom, but the DNG will be full frame. If you use Adobe Lightroom, then the DNG file is automatically cropped to the chosen focal length, but clicking on the crop tool will allow you to re-frame or revert to the full-sized full frame image. This really is very cool.

“Digital Zoom” is a bit of a dirty word, but this is a clever idea, and it’s well implemented. When shooting pictures of people it’s helpful to have framelines for 35mm or 50mm, and even more helpful to be able to change your mind about the cropping after the event! (the jpg files are fine, but surely you’re going to shoot DNG with a camera like this?)."

If I have my math right a 48MP sensor would give a 50MM crop of 26MP. Leica's plan might be just to give the next Q a larger sensor along with any technical improvements that come in the future.

While I will always shoot Raw+Jpeg. I like the idea of being able to up load my jpegs from the road. And then when I get home edit the Raw files.

"The camera has a ‘Digital frame selector’ mode – you can use the function key to toggle between 28mm (24mp) 35mm (15mp) and 50mm (8mp); the viewfinder doesn’t change its aspect ratio, .........

This is a great promo idea but has little practical use as the images will have all the quirks of 28mm angle of view, distortions etc

Edited by Imants

This is a great promo idea but has little practical use as the images will have all the quirks of 28mm angle of view, distortions etc

Not all of them, if the quirks relate to issues at the edges of the full frame.  But, in a sense you're right, since the full frame is still available after download (in LR, etc), even if cropped in camera.

Jeff