Hood fitting problem with 50mm SX black chrome (11688)

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last week I sent my black chrome hood to Leica CC (Mark Brady) in New Jersey for modification. This week I received a confirmation of receipt and after their inspection I will be advised of what they are going to do.

From previous posts here it sounds like they now know how to fix it.

Ron

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I received a form by e-mail to send my hood in to be modded, but I really like it in its current form. Has anyone found any place where you can buy the filter shown in posts 219, 221 and 223?  I corresponded with the vendor concerning the Alto filter, but was advised it wouldn't fit the 50mm BC.  

Also, for those who have had their hood modified, do you have any concerns regarding the weight now being supported by the filter threads on the front of the lens?  

Thank you in advance!

Your vendor is correct; the Alto filter will not screw onto the front lens mount of the 50mm Summilux-M, since the filter’s thread pitch is 0.5 mm. I bought one—“Alto Classic filter 43mm slim black made in Japan P/O”—and had to send it back.

Vendor’s description:

“Leica Summilux 50 / f1.4 hood X00IM (12521) dedicated filter before female screw is not with external thread. Mono coating. 43mm slim filter, you can put the XOOIM hood left on the filter for the slim diameter. Since XOOIM (12521) Hood, we have remodeled about three times, some attachment there is also a case tight. There is no knurled the urging ring in covering hood.”

I overlooked the fact, as the vendor stated in the description, the filter is for the Leica Summilux 50 mm (NOT the Summilux-M). My bad. “With apology, I have re-checked your item description, and it accurately describes the filter. I thought that it would fit my Leica lens, the most current Summilux-M 50 mm F/1.4 black chrome, but it only fits the Leica Summilux 50 mm F/1.4 SOOME, 1959-1968. This lens takes filters 43 mm x 0.5 mm thread pitch, which are no longer produced and only available on the secondhand market.”

Take Leica up on their offer to provide you at no charge with a screw in black chrome lens hood, as well as a replacement snap on black chrome hood. Not to worry, the screw in hood is robust, perhaps more so than the snap on hood if you like to slam it at around like Overgaard does, which prompted him to go into the ventilated hood business. His hood, by the way, allows using 46 mm filters. In any case, you will have your option of using either of the black chrome hoods. With the new screw in hood, you will be able to use ND filters to control DOF, as well as color correction filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can anyone teach me how to break this hood into 2?

if you're going to do this don't over tighten the hood, as this could dislodge the 2 white hinges on the side of the hood./

17888177651_2b48a14a64.jpg

the vented part of the hood can be screwed off from the bottom part of the hood with the 2 white buttons

s-l1600.jpg

Can anyone teach me how to break this hood into 2?

I bought my Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. Black Chrome edition straigtaway in 2015, and the hood unscrewed in half with just a little effort. I bought a backup hood and actually ended with three hoods, not such a long story but not worth the wind. I didn't know that when I sent my lens to Leica as requested, they would not only modify my snap on hood to a screw in but provide an extra snap on hood at no charge. I haven't been able to unscrew any of the hoods other than the first one I sent in for modification. The end of the story is that I have no need to try to unscrew the snap on hoods. All  you have to do is send your snap on hood alone to Leica, and you will get back a new snap on hood plus a screw in hood. If you are set on using the snap on hood, you can make an adapter 43mm x 3mm or special order a Heliopan step down ring 43mm-40.5mm x 3mm (about), which takes about 6-8 weeks from B&H. I can provide more instructions if you're interested.

• Like 2

Thanks Ernest.  I am interested to get a modified hood, please let me know how.  Thanks.

I bought my Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. Black Chrome edition straigtaway in 2015, and the hood unscrewed in half with just a little effort. I bought a backup hood and actually ended with three hoods, not such a long story but not worth the wind. I didn't know that when I sent my lens to Leica as requested, they would not only modify my snap on hood to a screw in but provide an extra snap on hood at no charge. I haven't been able to unscrew any of the hoods other than the first one I sent in for modification. The end of the story is that I have no need to try to unscrew the snap on hoods. All  you have to do is send your snap on hood alone to Leica, and you will get back a new snap on hood plus a screw in hood. If you are set on using the snap on hood, you can make an adapter 43mm x 3mm or special order a Heliopan step down ring 43mm-40.5mm x 3mm (about), which takes about 6-8 weeks from B&H. I can provide more instructions if you're interested.

Very helpful, Ernest, thank you. Like you, I got my black chrome version in  2015, as soon as it was announced. It would be nice to be able to use the hood, and a filter, at the same time.

Best wishes

Thanks Ernest. I am interested to get a modified hood, please let me know how. Thanks.

If you are in the United States, you can contact Mark Brady in New Jersey. Simply tell him that you would like to send your black chrome snap on hood to Leica for modification so you can get a screw in hood. Dave Elwell will send your hood to Germany. I received my screw in hood plus a new snap on black chrome hood in less than eight weeks.

I do not have the contact information for Leica customer service in Europe, but this is the contact information I have for NJ.

Support at Leica

Agent

Leica Camera Inc

Allendale, New Jersey 07401

Info Line

Mark Brady

Leica Camera Inc.

Telephone: 800-222-0118

Facsimile: 201-995-1686

E-mail: technicalinfo@leicacamerausa.com

Software Support

E-mail: software-support@leica-camera.com

Replacement Parts

Dave Elwell

Leica Camera Inc.

Facsimile: 201-995-0118

Repair Service

Carmen Vargas and Roxana Lynch

Leica Camera Inc.

1 Pearl Ct, Unit A

Facsimile: 201-995-1686

E-mail: repair@leicacamerausa.com

Rog

• Like 2

Very helpful, Ernest, thank you. Like you, I got my black chrome version in 2015, as soon as it was announced. It would be nice to be able to use the hood, and a filter, at the same time.

Best wishes

The modified black chrome screw in hood works perfectly and only extends from the front of the lens mount the exact same distance as the snap on hood when it is mounted. Thus, no vignetting from the black chrome screw in hood.

As I said in the above post, you will have to get in touch with your Leica customer service representative in Europe.

I would definitely jump on getting the screw in hood; you need only to send in your current hood which they will modify and provide you with a brand new snap on hood at no charge.

Cheers,

Rog

Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. Black Chrome w/screw in hood

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Viewfinder blockage of ventilated screw in hood orientation with 1 B+H filter attached

Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Black Chrome w/screw in hood

Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH w/screw in black chrome hood mounted w/1 filter

Orientation of ventilation. Of course, not all filters screw in the same so the orientation will invariably change.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I decided to have my Hood lens modified and I reached out and contacted Mark Brady at Leica in NJ. I thought i would share his comment.  So, according to him, he just stated that he is NOT aware of anyone getting both a modified hood and an original style Snap-on Hood back with it.

I received was a Repair form PDF to fill out and to send in with my Hood for their review.

This lead me to inquire, How many people here have actually had their Stock hoods modified and how many got back 2 Hoods?

• Like 1

I just returned from Wetzlar and the dedication of Leitz Park III. While there, I had my 50 Lux Black Chrome and Hood with me. I brought it into the Customer Care Center. They returned the back section of the hood (the part with the push in tabs for the clips) and the new spin on hood. That's it. I was charged 50 Euros for the privilege. Hope that answers your question.

Fortunately, I had an old vented hood for the original Summilux. The clip on section was not working well, so I unscrewed the vented hood part and screwed it onto the clip on section from the hood for the 50 Lux Black Chrome. Went together perfectly and now I have two hoods.

• Like 1