Hood fitting problem with 50mm SX black chrome (11688)

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Was just your hood sent to Germany for modification, or was there a modification to the front mount of the lens itself? Or both?Leica asked me to send my entire lens, which I did, now I am wondering what’s up if they intend to simply provide me with a screw-in hood, or if what I am hearing, they intend to modify the lens front mount itself. I will check in with Leica, but I thought I would get some feedback from you regarding your experience.

That's interesting. It wouldn't surprise me too much if Leica were making things up as they go along but I suspect the most likely explanation is that the person you were dealing with didn't really understand the problem or know about the "solution" that has already been adopted.

• Like 1

That's interesting. It wouldn't surprise me too much if Leica were making things up as they go along but I suspect the most likely explanation is that the person you were dealing with didn't really understand the problem or know about the "solution" that has already been adopted.

Perhaps so, but there is history there. I’ve discussed the issue several times since January 2016 with Mark Brady, NJ, who has always been very responsive. As you suggest, however, there may be a new wrinkle in the “solution,” so I will try to get some clarification on exactly what Leica intends to do with my lens if it involves more than just the lens hood itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From my experience its the hood that is modified; first they sent me a FOC replacement - which of course was identical to the original - this was then sent to Germany for modification, so now I have one of each.  No changes to the lens.

Took some time, but without any cost to me.  Does seem strange/ hard to believe that by now this is not a know issue, rather than everyone having to pursue their own route to a solution.

• Like 2

From my experience its the hood that is modified; first they sent me a FOC replacement - which of course was identical to the original - this was then sent to Germany for modification, so now I have one of each.  No changes to the lens.

Took some time, but without any cost to me.  Does seem strange/ hard to believe that by now this is not a know issue, rather than everyone having to pursue their own route to a solution.

Thanks! Just PM'd you.

I have the 50mm Summilux ASPH black chrome. I like to use an ND filter with it, but obvious can't use the hood at the same time. It's a mild annoyance, not the end of the world for me. But, if there's a free fix, I'd certainly want to take advantage of it.

Do we have to contact Leica individually, or are they working on something to address the issue on all 500 lenses? Three years after they offered the lens for sale, they're still advertising it on their site, so could they be fixing some, yet continuing to sell the unfixed originals? It all seems very confusing.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the 50mm Summilux ASPH black chrome. I like to use an ND filter with it, but obvious can't use the hood at the same time. It's a mild annoyance, not the end of the world for me. But, if there's a free fix, I'd certainly want to take advantage of it.

Do we have to contact Leica individually, or are they working on something to address the issue on all 500 lenses? Three years after they offered the lens for sale, they're still advertising it on their site, so could they be fixing some, yet continuing to sell the unfixed originals? It all seems very confusing.

At Leica‘s request, I sent my Black chrome Summicron-M 50mm to NJ eight weeks ago to take care of the lens hood issue. Yesterday, I received an email from Leica Camera USA that the “repair to your Leica product has been completed,” and I could expect to receive my “repaired equipment” within a week. The description of the work on my invoice was “free modification of filter thread/Germany repair, send to Germany for repair, modify for a screw on hood at no charge.“

I will get back to you as soon as I receive my lens and look at the “free modification of the filter thread.“ No doubt, I suspect it will be a black chromed brass screw in hood just like carmand received.

Cheers, Rog

• Like 2

At Leica‘s request, I sent my Black chrome Summicron-M 50mm to NJ eight weeks ago to take care of the lens hood issue. Yesterday, I received an email from Leica Camera USA that the “repair to your Leica product has been completed,” and I could expect to receive my “repaired equipment” within a week. The description of the work on my invoice was “free modification of filter thread/Germany repair, send to Germany for repair, modify for a screw on hood at no charge.“

I will get back to you as soon as I receive my lens and look at the “free modification of the filter thread.“ No doubt, I suspect it will be a black chromed brass screw in hood just like carmand received.

Cheers, Rog

Very helpful - thank you. Look forward to hearing how it goes, and how the hood/filter will work.

Best wishes,

Colin

Cheers, Rog

Thanks for the info.

Did you begin this process by contacting repair@leicacamerausa.com? I emailed them several days ago to get the ball rolling but I have yet to hear back. 

EDIT: Actually, I'll just give them a call tomorrow.

Edited by Whitford

Thanks for the info.

Did you begin this process by contacting repair@leicacamerausa.com? I emailed them several days ago to get the ball rolling but I have yet to hear back.

EDIT: Actually, I'll just give them a call tomorrow.

Mark Brady is the one to contact in technical. In my email to him, I mentioned that I learned from the Forum that Leica was making available a screw-in hood for the black chrome Summilux-M, and I wanted to know how I could get one. That was it; he took it from there. I Fedexed the lens to Dave Elwell who then shipped it to Germany.

Info Line

Mark Brady

Leica Camera Inc.

Telephone: 800-222-0118

Facsimile: 201-995-1686

E-mail: technicalinfo@leicacamerausa.com

Replacement Parts

Dave Elwell

Leica Camera Inc.

Allendale, New Jersey 07401

Facsimile: 201-995-0118

Rog

• Like 2

Mark Brady is the one to contact in technical. In my email to him, I mentioned that I learned from the Forum that Leica was making available a screw-in hood for the black chrome Summilux-M, and I wanted to know how I could get one. That was it; he took it from there. I Fedexed the lens to Dave Elwell who then shipped it to Germany.

Info Line

Mark Brady

Leica Camera Inc.

Facsimile: 201-995-1686

E-mail: technicalinfo@leicacamerausa.com

Replacement Parts

Dave Elwell

Leica Camera Inc.

Allendale, New Jersey 07401

Facsimile: 201-995-0118

Rog

Awesome! Thank you so much, Ernest.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers, Rog

I received my Summicron-M 50mm black chrome back from Leica just fine. No charge.

As it turns out, sending in the lens and the hood as instructed was not necessary. Leica modified my original snap-on hood, converting it to a screw-in hood, by unscrewing the bottom portion of the hood and screwing in a new part to the ventilated section. When a filter 4mm in height is mounted with the new screw-in hood, the whole hood extends 5mm from the front mount of the lens, which is exactly the same as the snap-on hood. Accordingly, no vignetting issues with the new hood with one filter, and I did not really see anything with two filters stacked, either.

All said and done, lens owners can send in only their black chrome snap-on hood for modification. Contact Mark Brady (email address already posted). You will not have to send in your complete lens and do without it for 9 weeks like I did. I received not only the screw-in hood modification, but the original base, PLUS a brand new replacement snap-on black chrome hood.

• Like 2

I received not only the screw-in hood modification, but the original base, PLUS a brand new replacement snap-on black chrome hood.

It is odd that they can’t just send a replacement hood with the screw-in modification. Do they need to receive the snap-on hood to verify that you are an owner of the lens? Seems strange to modify the old snap-on hood and then return it with the original base and a whole new snap-on hood.

I received my Summicron-M 50mm black chrome back from Leica just fine. No charge.

As it turns out, sending in the lens and the hood as instructed was not necessary. Leica modified my original snap-on hood, converting it to a screw-in hood, by unscrewing the bottom portion of the hood and screwing in a new part to the ventilated section. When a filter 4mm in height is mounted with the new screw-in hood, the whole hood extends 5mm from the front mount of the lens, which is exactly the same as the snap-on hood. Accordingly, no vignetting issues with the new hood with one filter, and I did not really see anything with two filters stacked, either.

All said and done, lens owners can send in only their black chrome snap-on hood for modification. Contact Mark Brady (email address already posted). You will not have to send in your complete lens and do without it for 9 weeks like I did. I received not only the screw-in hood modification, but the original base, PLUS a brand new replacement snap-on black chrome hood.

It is odd that they can’t just send a replacement hood with the screw-in modification. Do they need to receive the snap-on hood to verify that you are an owner of the lens? Seems strange to modify the old snap-on hood and then return it with the original base and a whole new snap-on hood.

Common sense! We need you in Leica Administration, now!

Should we hazard a guess at the thinking behind the Leica black chrome hood protocol? If Leica does not have a database of warranty registrants for the lens, then the easiest way for them to verify bona fide owners entitled to a hood modification is to request them to send in their hood—just as you surmise. That would take care of owners who did not bother to register their lens, too. Come to think of it, I did not even get warranty registrations for three new lenses I purchased this year.

The bottom line is that Leica has now responded with a solution to the hood problem that owners called to their attention over two years ago. Hooray!

The new screw-in hood actually contradicts the classic style of the Summilux lens with a 12586 hood. I was hoping for a modification to the black chrome hood base, since it unscrews, that would accommodate series filters, just like the 35mm Summicron-M f/2.0 black chrome launched at the same time. The Summicron-M hood unscrews and takes series 7 filters. Cumbersome, though.

Lens owners should simply email Mark Brady to send in their black chrome hood for modification. The hood will be shipped to Wetzlar. Leica will return, then, a black chrome screw-in hood, as well as a new snap-on black chrome hood.

• Like 2

Thank you for your answer. I’ll bring my lens to Leica 16th april.

You may want to simply email Customer Service and explain that you want to get a new screw-in hood, then send your hood and hang onto your lens.

In NJ, it is Mark Brady, as previously noted.

• Like 1