Summicron 50 APO Disapointing?

~lumiere

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree with algrove....due to rather too much spleen venting this thread has degenerated into something rather "disappointing".....never mind the poor old APO 50!

Windemonium, I am impressed by (and so jealous of) your collection of photo books....once I had such a library but finally sold them due to constant change of domicile.

I have regretted it ever since, some of those I had are nowadays either out of print and irreplaceable or far out of my current ability to afford to replace.

Regarding photography lessons of any sort; I must say that I truly believe the best way for anyone to improve their photography skills is to use them.....were I you I would spend

my precious photography time out with my camera and shooting, rather than on a computer with Ming Thein or any other tutor, although I'm sure he has something to contribute.

Try not to become disillusioned with the Forum, I had a similar sort of experience when I first began to post here....seems to be a right of passage or something equally silly.

• Like 7

Thanks platypus. Photo books are often printed in such short runs, and then sold at silly prices when out of print. I like to look at the images closely to try to learn from them. Some are especially useful - like the Magnum Contact Sheets book.

I quite agree about practice. I do too little of it. The assignments I get though give me something to focus on.

I really enjoy this hobby!

• Like 1

Later the same day.....I have just had a fairly comprehensive look through the website/blog of the apparently somewhat contentious, but very clever Ming Thein.

It is one of the best set up blogs I've viewed being really well laid out, extremely informative, cleverly and well written and really slick.

"Slick" is also applicable to his photography work, but why wouldn't it be? Ming Thein is obviously highly successful (at a very young age) in the hugely competitive

commercial photography scene and he gives his clients what they want....which is slick stuff.

What is not to like about any of that.....sour grapes?

• Like 6

Its still a great forum. It can be a fanatical place at times, but its rare that it gets ugly like it did earlier. There are lots of very helpful and knowledgeable people here who will bend over backwards to share their experiences. That is the wood, so it shouldn't be any trouble to ignore the odd wonky tree. It's also a community, which always need work like all relationships.

Let's put it down to passion ;)

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The impression I have is that many (most?) are males of a certain age, with a great deal of life experience and therefore naturally opinionated and set in their ways...maybe even a tad grumpy. ...

The impression this grumpy old male has is that at least one female of this forum is somewhat prone to generalization :D;).

Dee,

I do like a Martini and I will be 66 in one week. At what point do I become a grumpy old male/fart? Do I need to drink more or become older or what? :D:D

Bill, to be fair I did not mention "fart"..... But in answer to your question; I very much hope you will, in the fullness of time, eventually become much older.....and that during that process you will enjoy many more Martinis! :)

Edited by platypus
typo correction

Wow!

I've just caught up on this thread. I saw it start, had a quick look at the OP, then as I don't have any experience with (or any planned experience with) the APO, though I'd skip it. I couldn't resist what would take 5 pages of comments though and had to check back.

Wow again.

I haven't been hanging around here long, but there seems to be more and more spitefulness, which I assume is veiling some jealousy. I don't get it. I'd love to have an APO, but saved for a year to get a 1971 2/50. It's fantastic, best lens I've ever owned, most I've ever spent on a single piece of photographic equipment. But sure I wish I had the cash to throw around on Monochrom's and APO's and ASPH's (let alone 35AA's!), but I'm not going to denegrate those who can. They've obviously been very successful/focused/diligent/... to be able to spend that kind of money on a hobby.

About Ming Thein. I used to look at his blog, but I grew tired with his photographic style. He seems to be a very good photographer. His product photography in particular. He tried to make it in the art world and very publicly didn't. He did what many try, but he did it in public, and very honestly explained what happened to him. He gets my respect for that.

Winedemonium, I agree, Magnum contact sheets is a great book.

Dee, I like to think I'm getting less cranky as I age... but my wife thinks there's still time for that trend to reverse. But then again I think I'm younger than most around here.

I hope as a group we can get past the sort of attitudes expressed by a minority in this thread, it really is a great place to come and hang out, learn, help, and drool over gear I will never afford!

Sorry for the OT rant.

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1

@73 I'm certainly not cranky or an old fart" I do though have my opinions that do at times show up on the Forum. I have absolutely no jealousy towards anyone that spends his/her hard earnt money on anything they choose. I won't put them down, but I do ask that they do not disrespect others. Now it's time for my Brandy.. :)

• Like 1

Over the last few years since becoming involved with this Forum, and as one of the very few female members, I have necessarily become accustomed to the foibles and the occasionally cantankerous ways of a few fellow members.

The impression I have is that many (most?) are males of a certain age, with a great deal of life experience and therefore naturally opinionated and set in their ways...maybe even a tad grumpy.

I'm relatively new to this forum, but not to forums in general or photography, in all forms, at large.

My impression is that men, given an specific interest, will argue about the most esoteric aspects of anything. The same behavior can be seen on forums that discuss:

- mechanical watches

- Scotch

- air-cooled Volkswagens

- espresso machines

- wooden boats

If there was a forum dedicated to toothpicks (there probably is), I suspect men are arguing about the relative merits of every nuance related to toothpicks. :p

• Like 3

@73 I'm certainly not cranky or an old fart" I do though have my opinions that do at times show up on the Forum. I have absolutely no jealousy towards anyone that spends his/her hard earnt money on anything they choose. I won't put them down, but I do ask that they do not disrespect others. Now it's time for my Brandy.. :)

Again....to be fair, I did not refer to anyone as either a fart or cranky.

I would absolutely never refer to anyone as a fart.....old or otherwise!

.....and I really do think cranky is slightly different to grumpy, grumpy is kind of sweet and a rather forgivable form of (probably well earned) occasional disillusionment with life, cranky is a lot meaner and more constant.

Over the last few years since becoming involved with this Forum, and as one of the very few female members, I have necessarily become accustomed to the foibles and the occasionally cantankerous ways of a few fellow members.

The impression I have is that many (most?) are males of a certain age, with a great deal of life experience and therefore naturally opinionated and set in their ways...maybe even a tad grumpy. This Forum is an ideal way for them to vent any 'spleen' issues

they may have and to air their opinions to a like minded group....which is nice for them, but sometimes it can get a little out of hand and make those on the receiving end feel pretty awful. When I read some posts I picture the writer sitting at their computer

late at night, all alone and probably lonely, with a good strong Scotch (or similar) at their elbow and another few under their belt....inhibitions released and time to score a few points.

This is rather a pity as it can tend to sour someone else's experience on this great Forum which is of such enormous benefit to all of us who love Leicas.

Yes....this is off topic....apologies!

A brilliant post, congrats. Too many on this forum take themselves and Leica too seriously.

Edited by Ecaton
  • Like 2

The Forum - it's a Club" the oldies sit and bestow knowledge albeit with long and ponderous solilqies. The younger upstarts are ignored until the "elders" feel they are sufficiently blooded" - But all in all its a great fountain of info & experience..

We all at times score points, and at other times have points scored against us. That's life..

Taking photographs is what it is all about, how, when and where matters not, the image is the main attraction, Leica images and us very lucky individuals that can afford to use Leicas should themselves embrace all, even those with minimal photographic knowledge but who have a desire to attain the Leica Wow" factore...

I am neither at my computer or draining a glass of whisky, I'm on duty..

Take Care, Take Breathtaking Photographs and Take a Moment to Smile..:)

..........At what point do I become a grumpy old male/fart?..............:D:D

I've decided that one is in danger of becoming a grumpy old fart at the point, when asked ones age, you reply with something like: "I'm in my 75th year." This, of course, means you are 74; which, as it happens, I am.

When this starts to happen, and it is surprisingly common here in the UK, then "Old Fart" seems an appropriate characterisation.