Anyone uses Pelican 1200 for their Leica M9 family?

sfethan

Heres how I arranged my Pelicase.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Before you pluck the foam - play with layouts using toothpicks (or longer wooden skewers for the big cases)

It allows you to fine tune the layout before plucking, and also allows you to easily follow your plan

I dont use Pelican cases for my cameras, but have a mil-spec searchlight in a 1600 size case (with custom cut foam supplied by the light manufacturer) and a toolset in the car packed in a 1500

My fingers are too big to copy the link on my iPhone but I have posted a photo of the layout on this forum before. Just run a forum search for Pelican 1200 case.

The layout I used is not original as I borrowed it from Jaap.

This case is perfect for a body with a 35 and 2 or 3 lenses, a few batteries and cards. The whole thing fits in my backpack along with an empty Domkie F5b for when I get wherever I'm going.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here you go!

• Like 1

I'd appreciate a picture of this, planning to do this too!

thx Tomas

I just bought a cheap used Pelican case on Gumtree (similar to craigslist) covered it in stickers and ripped all the inner foam out, leaving the lid, base and a ring around the outside all the tools into it neatly (fragile or easily lost stuff is in a small otter box case, inside the main case) Sockets are on short alloy rails i got from the local auto shop

Last pic is the searchlights (a Gen2 and Gen3 Maxabeam, as used in Jurassic Park, X Files, NCIS, and a bunch of other movies and TV shows)

the Gen2 is a measured 7.2 million candlepower, and the Gen3 is supposed to be 12million (but i haven't measured it)

Both will easily push a beam out to a mile

Edited by Echo63
  • Like 1

Pelicases are great (I have several) BUT do be aware that they can all too easily trap moisture inside as well as out - its worth keeping some fresh desiccant inside (Silica Gel) with the cameras to keep them dry and to avoid fungus conditions existing (damp and dark).

• Like 1

Pelicases are great (I have several) BUT do be aware that they can all too easily trap moisture inside as well as out - its worth keeping some fresh desiccant inside (Silica Gel) with the cameras to keep them dry and to avoid fungus conditions existing (damp and dark).

Pelican actually make a desiccant pack - its a metallic box that you can put in the case - when it gets too much moisture in it, it can be easily dried in the oven

awesome Thanks! is yours 1200? don't you find the case a little too tight when closing? maybe it's because of the foam

It has a firm click which is very reassuring. I also have a Pelican 1450 case which takes my Omni Pro case. I use this case for my S2 and M9. But I prefer the 1200 with the M9. I've rearranged the foam a few times so as to take my 135 Elmarit or 21, 50 and 90 with the 35 on the body.

My MM arrives tomorrow and I'll try to see if I can get two bodies to fit along with at least three lenses. 50 on the MM and 35 on the M9. Should work.

I've had the 1200 floating in water for more than an hour and my gear stayed dry.

an hour, that's impressive. I have arranged my box to fit a M9 + Summicron 50mm and M9-P + Summicron 50mm, 2 extra batteries + 3 memory card. I'll upload my photo.

It has a firm click which is very reassuring. I also have a Pelican 1450 case which takes my Omni Pro case. I use this case for my S2 and M9. But I prefer the 1200 with the M9. I've rearranged the foam a few times so as to take my 135 Elmarit or 21, 50 and 90 with the 35 on the body.

My MM arrives tomorrow and I'll try to see if I can get two bodies to fit along with at least three lenses. 50 on the MM and 35 on the M9. Should work.

I've had the 1200 floating in water for more than an hour and my gear stayed dry.

Pelican actually make a desiccant pack - its a metallic box that you can put in the case - when it gets too much moisture in it, it can be easily dried in the oven

They do, but knowing when it has too much moisture can be a problem. If you look up Indicator Silica Gel you will find that you can get some which changes colour when its absorbed water - it can then be oven dried. I keep mine in old plastic film containers - with a hole cut in the lid and fine mesh secured in place by the lid. This is easy, convenient (keep dry with a spare lid then change the lid to a 'hole & mesh' lid as needed) and you can see any colour change. [ See this thread for details: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-lenses/356374-simple-cheap-fairly-elegant-dry-storage.html].

They do, but knowing when it has too much moisture can be a problem. If you look up Indicator Silica Gel you will find that you can get some which changes colour when its absorbed water - it can then be oven dried. I keep mine in old plastic film containers - with a hole cut in the lid and fine mesh secured in place by the lid. This is easy, convenient (keep dry with a spare lid then change the lid to a 'hole & mesh' lid as needed) and you can see any colour change. [ See this thread for details: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-lenses/356374-simple-cheap-fairly-elegant-dry-storage.html].

Thats a great idea - especially keeping some spare stuff and just moving the lid

Now, where did i put all my film canisters....

How about a 1150?

It's tiny but then small packages is why I love Leica.

It fits up to four lenses, and for me at least serves a great function. The camera stays in my Domke FX5 at all times, except when i am shooting of course. It comes with me everywhere. Along with it is: lens of the day, flash, bat/mem, notepad and pen. I have room for an extra lens if need be.

The other lenses stay in the pelicase. It's roughly the same size as my bag, and can comfortably sit in my car or even inside my carry-on. If not it stays in my office.

I too am aware of the moisture issue. As others have mentioned it keeps moisture in just as well as it keeps it out. So I always take care to make sure lenses are not wet when I put them in, and never open the case in a wet environment,but so far never bothered to put in a silica gel. maybe I will. Probably should get some new foam too.

I use a 1400 with the rigid adjustable divider set (a little harder to find, but it holds a body with a lens and at least 6 more lenses).

On the 1200, what is the goal? These layouts seem to have very little cushioning for the camera body, which is the single most fragile thing in there. The pick and pluck foam is terrible unless you are storing smallish rectilinear objects of low mass and whose measurements are all 1/2" increments. Your better option is to have an upholstery shop with a water jet cutter make you a neoprene insert with cutouts exactly the shape of the equipment. Neoprene does not suck up moisture the same way that open cell foam does.

The other thing on cushioning is that an inch of effective cushioning is the standard for shipment; for a tough case, it should be no less. The handy pocket inserts on a Pelican are not padded (and take the place of a reticulated foam insert), and they seem like a great way to get small gear to contact stuff in the main compartment.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but Pelican cases of a size appropriate to protection are great for storage but unwieldy to use as camera cases.

Dante