Anyone uses Pelican 1200 for their Leica M9 family?

sfethan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use a 1400 with the rigid adjustable divider set.

I have had the material inside the divider sections disintegrate. It appears to be some sort of plastic and on a large (1650) divider set some dividers appeared to 'bulge' at the base which was 'pooling' of the disintegrating plastic material inside. This was after a good number of years but is worth being aware of as it seems to happen gradually and as it does the cushioning effect drops.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Pelican 1600 case which I use mainly for storage. It's fitted with the Pick and Pluck foam and I'm not very fond of it at all as it is in a continuos process of disintegration.

I've just fitted a second case with closed cell foam. I purchased the foam as a single piece and ustomised it using two tin cans and an electric bread knife.

Cut the top off the cans with a hack saw and sharpen the cut edge with a metal file. Place the cut edge on the foam and spin and it cuts through the foam very easily.

The electric bread knife will cut through the foam to cut oblong, or curved, shapes to suit your needs.

End result will look much neater and be stronger and more durable.

Gary

• Like 1

For storage I use the Pelican 1200 for my Monochrom + 3 lenses + charger.

Main advantage is "peace of mind".

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I've got 2 Pelican cases. One's the size of a small suitcase, the other about like an attache. That one came with an Invicta watch I got on ShopNBC. Watch was a POS but the case has 6 pre-cut spaces for watches which hold M lenses perfectly. The large one has the movable dividers but I never used them, just put my camera bag inside.

That said, I have no need to store in them, as I prefer using un-sealed plastic bins from Bed Bath & Beyond in which I keep a tub of Damp-Rid, and the boxes are in a closet with louvered doors. House is climate controlled year round. For travel I don't care for the Pelicans, especially now with the tight carryon restrictions. For my use, camera bags offer sufficient padding, and if I need water-proof I'll just stuff it into a roll-top river-rafting dry bag w/backpack straps.

This is my 1510 ....... tend to load up and stick this in the car then use a smaller bag at the other end ..... found the foam and soft dividers useless so used these ......:)

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is my 1510 ....... tend to load up and stick this in the car then use a smaller bag at the other end ..... found the foam and soft dividers useless so used these ......:)

That looks fabulous. What are 'these'. .??

Hard Case - Pelican - TrekPak

and some more info here:

Jordan Loyd Photography - Blog - TrekPak Pelican 1510 Case Insert Review

I bought a fair few extra bits and spare inserts so I could customise and change things around at later date. Also added more foam from the old stuff supplied with the case in some divisions at the bottom so they were not so deep. All the pieces fit very well and make maximum use of the space available......

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 3

T

My pelican family and their priceless contents....

Do they give you the piece with the radiused corners to go around the perimeter of the case?

It reminds me of the old style pelican dividers which were rigid and sadly have been replaced by the crappy Velcro ones

Yup ...... 2 pieces for the perimeter that you clip together with the pins and then a selection of different length dividers that you configure how to like (within reason) ..... but as I said I ordered extra and did a more complex custom job to suit my needs ....... Leica lenses are smaller than SLR so generally you need smaller compartments. Was a interesting planning exercise trying to get the maximum usage but still some flexibility .....

• Like 2

Are the sides of the Pelican vertical or do they slope inward slightly?

The reason I ask is that I have an Immation DataGuard case that is very similar to a Pelican.

My case needs some kind of insert and this looks ideal but the sides of the case slope slightly.

Edited by Gibbo

My case needs some kind of insert and this looks ideal but the sides of the case slope slightly.

The 1510 has internal 'lumps' where the wheels go too, although most Pelicases don't if they have no wheels.

• Like 1

Having taken some internal measurements, my Immation case is the equivalent of the Pelican 1520. Looking at the enlarged photo of the insert, the sides do look as if they slope inward slightly. Anyway .... I've placed an order so we shall see :eek::D

Hard Case - Pelican - TrekPak

and some more info here:

Jordan Loyd Photography - Blog - TrekPak Pelican 1510 Case Insert Review

I bought a fair few extra bits and spare inserts so I could customise and change things around at later date. Also added more foam from the old stuff supplied with the case in some divisions at the bottom so they were not so deep. All the pieces fit very well and make maximum use of the space available......

Looks good, do you have to order from USA direct or there is UK stockist, I couldn't find any information on the Trekpak website.