APO Telyt 280 f/4 - R prices

M9reno

• 3 weeks later...
Are you talking about my tests? I have done it several times and a 400/4 is easier to focus (with split image screen) than the 280/4 + 1.4x ;-)

john

Yes and being out of topic - if 560/4 has better IQ than 400/4, both bare lens, then it will be very shocking, contradict to even Leica's own measurements. However to prove this it will need to shoot in different distance, which may introduce other variables.

If say the 280/4 + 1.4 has better IQ then both 560/4 and 400/4 bare (and both are about the same IQ wise), then it can simply prove that 280/4 is indeed a spectacular performer.

I am interesting in lens performance than same magnification comparison hence the initial confusion I guess. ;)

• 4 months later...

Just got the APO 4/280 today. I saw it in a local dealer and went to take a look. Very fine condition, box, papers, leather case, all complete, ROM. Price seemed right. I've been thinking about getting something in this focal length range. That was partly prompted by a recent purchase of the S-E 006, and a desire to get a high grade lens around this focal length for landscape shooting. The S has numerous in-house adaptors for medium format legacy lenses and those for some other current systems, but the options at this focal length (350mm in 24x36 currency) seemed trickier than this lens.

I'm now wondering what to mount it on. I know there is an adaptor for the S, but it won't go to infinity. There is the R to M adaptor Leica make, which might be an option. I don't have it, but I have the M-P240 and EVF. 

Maybe something else entirely.

But I'm glad to have found one of these lenses and can't wait to try it.

You can get the 280/4 altered at Wetzlar to go to infinity with the R using the Lei-ko adapter. I emailed Andrea and Wetzlar and this can be done. I was going to send mine in, but got too busy. I'll probably do mine in the autumn after the Goodwood Revival meeting.

(The 280/4 with the 1.4x APO extender attached will focus to infinity - I've tried it on my S(006))

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I paid $4700 for my 280mm f4 Apo Telyt lens which was in M or M- condition on ebay in November of 2012.  It is a remarkably sharp lens naked and with my 1.4X Apo Extender.  I should be embarrassed I guess that I have yet to have it go in for a CLA.  Below are 2 images shot with my 280mm f4 Apo Telyt with my 1.4X Apo Extender with effective aperture of f8 in Big Meadows, Shenandoah NP, Virginia.  Both images were taken at ISO 400 with my Sony A7r and processed in LR6.  Images were tripod mounted and the first was taken at 1/320 and the second at 1/800. Additionally the image of the Doe and the Fawn was heavily cropped (the TIFF file is 4904 X 4206 Pixels of the original FF TIFF file of 7360 X 4912 Pixels).

Rich

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

I paid $4700 for my 280mm f4 Apo Telyt lens which was in M or M- condition on ebay in November of 2012.  It is a remarkably sharp lens naked and with my 1.4X Apo Extender.  I should be embarrassed I guess that I have yet to have it go in for a CLA.  Below are 2 images shot with my 280mm f4 Apo Telyt with my 1.4X Apo Extender with effective aperture of f8 in Big Meadows, Shenandoah NP, Virginia.  Both images were taken at ISO 400 with my Sony A7r and processed in LR6.  Images were tripod mounted and the first was taken at 1/320 and the second at 1/800. Additionally the image of the Doe and the Fawn was heavily cropped (the TIFF file is 4904 X 4206 Pixels of the original FF TIFF file of 7360 X 4912 Pixels).

Rich

Thanks Rich, great images.  

I got my APO-R 280/4 about a year (December 2011) before you got yours for a couple hundred $ less, £2,650.00 to be exact.

So that seems consistent.  Fabulous lens, didn't have to be serviced yet.  Thank you Stephens in Manchester.

Here is a shot taken recently with Sony A7r2 and Leica APO-R 280/4.

_DSC1445_HIF_C1_240_0.4_0%2C8%201_2438x1

Edited by k-hawinkler
  • Like 14

• 2 months later...

Hello, mine got stolen and has been reported to the police, together with other stolen items. Do you know if there's a way to track down the lens number or to report it as stolen on any official website? I have still the proof of purchase, the small booklet and the custody.

Thanks!

Hello, mine got stolen and has been reported to the police, together with other stolen items. Do you know if there's a way to track down the lens number or to report it as stolen on any official website? I have still the proof of purchase, the small booklet and the custody.

Thanks!

Send an email to Leica and they will list it as "hot" if it appears in their shop I think they will not service it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is one on the famous auction site at a good price.  

EDIT: I've seen some of these lenses with some corrosion on the mounting flange. Can Leica replace the mounting flange on these lenses? Also, are ROM contacts still available?

Edited by magosak

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

WHEN it was stolen?  SN-No.?

• 2 weeks later...

These expensive lenses would be worthy companions to a Leica SL. Has anybody made tests with this combination ?

Leica SL plus any of these APO lenses.

Thanks for your answers    Stephan

Look through this active thread on the SL sub-forum:  http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/252711-leica-r-and-m-lenses-on-the-leica-sl-typ-601/

If, you read through it you will see some of the great APO lenses being shot on the SL with great results.  The 280/f4 is in the discussion near the end.

Rick

These expensive lenses would be worthy companions to a Leica SL. Has anybody made tests with this combination ?

Leica SL plus any of these APO lenses.

Thanks for your answers    Stephan

Stephan,

I took these two in Paris on a hazy dawn morning in December for test purposes.  Base ISO (100), with only exposure balancing (I deliberately underexpose to preserve highlights), white balancing, and light input sharpening.

Pete.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Can't speak to using it on an SL but on an M240 it is priceless.  The first is the original shot from about 150-feet (with LR adjustments to my liking), the second is cropped.  I have a hard time taking this lens off the camera when I've the time to set up and take the time needed to breathe.

• Like 4

Any idea whether the price of the 280APO may drop with the upcoming release of the SL 90-280?

I doubt it. The 280/4 was only made in very small numbers. I heard that Leica only made about 2000, although I'm sure that someone will be able to provide more information. I'm told that Leica could not make the 280/4 APO now at a price, which the Leica consumer would be willing to pay. You can use it on a R, M, SL and S camera with appropriate adapters, which means that demand will continue to outstrip supply. (I won't be selling my copy, even for a big profit - I paid 1300 Euros for my 280/4 APO)

• Like 2