Leica R and M lenses on the Leica SL (Typ 601)

Leicaiste

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What do we know about the Leica SL (Typ 601) used with R and M lenses ?

With M lenses, we will need to use the M to T (L) adapter (#18 771).

With R lenses you will need to stack the #18 771 and the R to M adapter (#14 642).

In one year from now, there will be a R to L adapter. It seems that it will transmit the information from the ROM, but nothing is certain.

First conclusion, given the choice, it will be better to have 6 bit coded M lenses and probably ROM R lenses.

The M to T (L) adapter has a 6 bit reader on the lens side and the same gold contacts found on SL lenses on the camera side.

The R to M adapter offers a 6 bit coding, which give you the opportunity to tell the SL the R lens in use.

Thanks to the 6 bit, the SL will know the focal of the L and R fixed lenses and the widest position of the R Vario lenses. This may improve for R lenses with the future R to SL adapter if it reads ROM.

Thanks to that, the Exifs will contain the focal in use.

From my short experience with an SL + R or M lenses yesterday, the SL is really good at guessing the aperture used on M or R lenses. You can only see the aperture used after taking the picture (in the finder or on the back screen depending of your settings).

The biggest deviation I saw was f4,8 instead of F4,5 on the R 28-90/2,8-4,5 on the 90mm position at f4,5. And maybe it was the real aperture.

Again this information is going to the Exifs.

Until now, nothing that an M 240 couldn’t do.

But here comes my personal (and biased) experience and feeling.

From my short experience, the SL is much easier to focus all R lenses and also L lenses like Noctilux, 21mm, 90/2 on the SL than on the M 240.

The handling with R lenses is perfect on the SL. It has the right size for all the R lenses. I have tried the 19, 50/1,4, 28-90, 90/2, 180/2,8.

I also also tried the SL with lenses like the M 35/1,4, 50/1,4, 50/1,2, 90/2

None of them seemed out of place on the SL.

After few minutes, I forgot it was an EVF and not an OVF.

The convenience to be able to use on the same camera Leica lenses like the R 19, M 35/1,4, 50/1,4, 75/2 , R 80/1,4, M or R Apo 90/2, M 135, R 180 + APO Extender 2X and Vario 35-70/2,8 or 28-90, 70-180 etc is difficult to beat in my biased opinion. Not to mention PC or Macro lenses.

In short : the convenience to have different sets of lenses for city street walks, travel or landscape photography for the same camera.

Obviously the SL lenses, or a Canon / Nikon, will be better for wildlife or sport photography.

So I ordered the SL.

Now if I hadn't kept my R lenses I may have behaved differently. To buy the SL only to replace or complement the M 240 would have requested a longer thinking.

What is your experience with R or L lenses ?

Edited by Leicaiste
  • Like 9

I also handled the SL yesterday, although I only brought with me two R lenses (Elmarit-R 24mm and Summicron-R 90mm). I noticed that there was no explicit lens code for the 24mm, but the 28mm lens code worked just fine. 

Even for most flexible use on the, it's best to use coded lenses whenever possible. Only two of my M lenses are coded at present (new Elmar-M 24 and Summarit-M 75); I'll have the Summilux 35 v2 coded soon, and I plan to replace the Nokton 50/1.5 with a Leica 50mm (either 'Lux or 'Cron) sometime relatively soon as well. I look forward to seeing how these lenses behave on the SL when mine arrives, but I don't depend upon them since I have the same focal lengths and equivalent quality in R lenses. 

The R lenses are bulky and not at their best other than on a tripod for the M for me. However, they work beautifully and fluidly on the SL. For greatest compatibility with my R8 and Leicaflex SL, I've stuck with 3cam lenses in all but two cases. I also happen to like the rendering qualities of the slightly older R lens models—the latest ROM and APO generation are bitingly wonderful on resolution and sharpness, but there is a charm to the older models that just appeals to me so much. And even the oldest, poorest R lens is a remarkable performer, it seems; they have the "Leica Magic" in spades. 

So I hope the dedicated R to SL adapter offers more than just ROM lens data transfer. I'd like it if it transferred aperture settings from the mechanical linkage for any three-cam lens, did the ROM data transfer when available too. If they go the mile to allow aperture control of all the 3cam or R generation lenses with it to the same limits that the R bodies allowed, that would be wonderful. 

• Like 1

There is already adapter for Leica-R lenses on SL:

http://www.amazon.de/Novoflex-Objektivadapter-Adapter-Adapterring-Objektiv/dp/B00Q8HJQPO

I'm not sure Leica shall give advantages to Leica-R lenses over SL lenses. By the way, I'm not so optimist and Leica R-SL adapter should not be different to Novoflex's.

Perhaps ROM could be used for identification of the lens. But I doubt that R-SL adapter can transfer aperture settings from mechanical linkage for Leica-R lenses.

Best regards...

PS: did you try EVF outside by daylight? And what are your experiences about it?

Edited by teiki arii

http://www.amazon.de/Novoflex-Objektivadapter-Adapter-Adapterring-Objektiv/dp/B00Q8HJQPO

PS: did you try EVF outside by daylight? And what are your experiences about it?

The Novoflex adapter R to SL doesn't transmit any information. 

The Leica adapter will at least tell the SL there is an R lens in use like the two stacked Leica adapters do for the moment. 

I used the EVF outside, but it was not a sunny day.

I'm not sure Leica shall give advantages to Leica-R lenses over SL lenses. By the way, I'm not so optimist and Leica R-SL adapter should not be different to Novoflex's.

Perhaps ROM could be used for identification of the lens. But I doubt that R-SL adapter can transfer aperture settings from mechanical linkage for Leica-R lenses.

Best regards...

The current two-Leica-adapter stack already supplies more information than the Novoflex. A dedicated adapter, when it appears, will do at least as much. The Novoflex adapter is just a tube with two flanges on it, and utterly uninteresting other than that it is cheap. 

I only just stepped outside with the SL It was a sunny day yesterday. The SL's EVF is as capable as the R8's optical viewfinder in the same circumstances. 

The Novoflex adapter is just a tube with two flanges on it, and utterly uninteresting other than that it is cheap. 

I expect the Novoflex adapter is less likely than the two-adapter setup to cause corner shading with long lenses.  The M mount is a problem for long-focus lenses like the f/6.8 Telyts.

Edited by wildlightphoto
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I expect the Novoflex adapter is less likely than the two-adapter setup to cause corner shading with long lenses.  The M mount is a problem for long-focus lenses like the f/6.8 Telyts.

That could be ... Not that I've seen any with the long lenses I've tried (which only go up to the Telyt-R 250mm f/4). It's worth keeping an eye out for ... 

I did see corner shrouding (hard vignetting) on the M-P with both Elmarit-R 19 and Nikkor 18mm, but when I tried to replicated it on the M-P using the R Adapter M and the Elmarit-R 19mm, I couldn't see any. Then I realized that I'd seen it with the Novoflex and Kipon adapters, not the R Adapter M. I'll test all my R lenses carefully with the two-adapter setup once I have the SL in hand. 

And yes, the dedicated R Adapter SL should eliminate all of these potential issues. I'm sure Leica will do an exceptional job of it. 

• Like 1

I only just stepped outside with the SL It was a sunny day yesterday. The SL's EVF is as capable as the R8's optical viewfinder in the same circumstances. 

That is a good news!

And yes, the dedicated R Adapter SL should eliminate all of these potential issues. I'm sure Leica will do an exceptional job of it. 

I hope so! Wait and see. :)

The Novoflex is an acceptable interim solution. 

When the Leica R-L adapter arrives, I'll be very surprised if it doesn't read the ROM information. That would be a huge fail for Leica - the ROM already provides lens specific information which would be a huge plus.  For non-ROM R lenses, the adapter could just generate the R list. 

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

The Novoflex is an acceptable interim solution. 

When the Leica R-L adapter arrives, I'll be very surprised if it doesn't read the ROM information. That would be a huge fail for Leica - the ROM already provides lens specific information which would be a huge plus.  For non-ROM R lenses, the adapter could just generate the R list. 

Actually . No. The Novoflex adapter is great for the Leica T, but it's not an acceptable interim solution for the SL

The Novoflex adapter acts like an uncoded M lens - so that if you choose the lens profile menu option on the SL it will ONLY BRING UP M LENSES - If you use stacked T and R adapters, then the T adapter reads the 6 bit code on the R adapter and brings up a list of 57 R lenses to choose from . . . . . which populates the exif data, estimates the aperture (really well) and informs the Auto ISO. It also applies lens corrections where applicable.

There isn't a simple way for a third party (like Novoflex) to get around this, unless they put electrical connectors in their adapters.

In the meantime - don't think that the Novoflex adapter is a good substitute for stacked T and R adapters from Leica - it isn't .

• Like 8

There are electrical contacts in the lens mounts of other cameras than Leica's SL (and T -- I presume it has them as well, using a subset of the signals that the SL understands).  And there are third-party manufacturers of lenses that work on those cameras.  I presume some money has changed hands to make that situation acceptable to all, but I see nothing wrong with that, and we get new primes and some choices.  The M43 world is humming along on this basis.  So someone at Novoflex presumably has a call in to someone at Leica, which will be returned someday (before the next ice age begins...).

scott

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Having used Novoflex adapters extensively with the Sony A7 and R lenses, I'd say Novoflex makes a good product, but the Leica adapters are better made, more precise, more rigid, and do a better job. Yes, they're expensive. I feel strongly that since I'm putting such an investment into the SL kit, I might as well keep the standards of the whole system up to as high a level as I can muster. 

Yes the T to M adapter has connectors and treads the 6 bit code on the M to R adapter.

the Novoflex adapter has been around for some time, of course it was happily dumb, as the T doesn't have a menu for R lenses.

you can stack the T adapter with any coded adapter and bring up the R menu (a Contax one for example. 

John. I don't have a Novoflex adapter, so I'm not absolutely certain you can't get the R menu up......just 99 percent

Perhaps Novoflex will add the chip? Who knows

Still, the stacked adapters work very well, and they fit together perfectly.

Slightly off topic but I was wondering if metabones would be able to produce and adaptor for Canon, Nikon or Sony a series lenses as this would really open up the range of AF lenses. They've done it for the Sony A7 series so I don't see why it couldn't be done for the SL. I would just love this camera but £3150 for a variable 24-90 aperture zoom is just too much for me

Edited by viramati
  • Like 2

and T -- I presume it has them as well, using a subset of the signals that the SL understands

There is is just one mount with one specification, namely the L mount. Both the T and the SL are L mount cameras.

• Like 2

Slightly off topic but I was wondering if metabones would be able to produce and adaptor for Canon, Nikon or Sony a series lenses as this would really open up the range of AF lenses.

I suppose so; whether it would be worth the effort is a different question. These lenses are optimised for a phase-detection AF.

• Like 3

Yes the T to M adapter has connectors and treads the 6 bit code on the M to R adapter.

the Novoflex adapter has been around for some time, of course it was happily dumb, as the T doesn't have a menu for R lenses.

you can stack the T adapter with any coded adapter and bring up the R menu (a Contax one for example. 

John. I don't have a Novoflex adapter, so I'm not absolutely certain you can't get the R menu up......just 99 percent

Perhaps Novoflex will add the chip? Who knows

Still, the stacked adapters work very well, and they fit together perfectly.

Jono, 

Many thanks for that "heads up". You have saved me some money. I was going to buy a Novoflex LET/CONT adapter to use my Contax lenses on the SL. I will carry on using the Novoflex LEM/CONT, which is coded as a R to M adapter stacked with a M to T/L , which I have included with my order for the SL. 

Wilson