Leica Apo-Telyt-T 3.4/180mm

Ivar B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For the 2nd time I have bought this marvellous lens. The first time was decades ago. I note that the lens I just bought seems to have some issue with respect to focusing. The focusing ring does not rotate all the way until infinity but stops a little earlier, but from the viewfinder and photos the lens certainly focuses to infinity.

Has anyone experienced something like this before?

9 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

I just checked on my Apo-Telyt-R 3.4/180.

The infinity mark is reached and hard stop at the middle "oo" in front of the index.

Right - so mine has becoma maladjusted. The closest focus is also somewhat to the left 2,5 m. However, as long as the lens focuses to infinity this is not a problem as such and I don`t think Leica services this lens any longer.

vor 14 Stunden schrieb a.noctilux:

The infinity mark is reached and hard stop at the middle "oo" in front of the index.

Same here.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Ivar B:

Right - so mine has becoma maladjusted. The closest focus is also somewhat to the left 2,5 m. However, as long as the lens focuses to infinity this is not a problem as such and I don`t think Leica services this lens any longer.

With R lenses in general, once the grease on the helicoil becomes old and stiff, the optical group of the lens may inadvertently be screwed off the helicoil on focusing the lens. I suspect this may have happened to your lens as well, and the repair person who tightened the two components together did not pay attention to the position of the infinity mark (or was simply unable to correctly service the lens). As long as you can focus to infinity, this may be more of a cosmetical problem (although it does reduce the resale value of the lens).

I believe Leica may still service R lenses as long as no spare parts are required.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, wizard said:

Same here.

With R lenses in general, once the grease on the helicoil becomes old and stiff, the optical group of the lens may inadvertently be screwed off the helicoil on focusing the lens. I suspect this may have happened to your lens as well, and the repair person who tightened the two components together did not pay attention to the position of the infinity mark (or was simply unable to correctly service the lens). As long as you can focus to infinity, this may be more of a cosmetical problem (although it does reduce the resale value of the lens).

I believe Leica may still service R lenses as long as no spare parts are required.

I will perhaps have it serviced. Can anyone suggest a good repair facility?

16 hours ago, Ivar B said:

Will van Manen and Cathy Kuyper. The are not as fast as they used to be as Will has some health issues. ( but still incomparably faster than Leica  😉 )

https://kamera-service.info/en/welcome/

These lenses benefit immensely from service as many will need to have some haze removed.

I will check this out. Last item I sent to Wetzlar for repair was an APO-M 2/75. Leica gave an estimate, but it actually took much less than that, only about 3 weeks.

They charge Euro 300 including shipping for repair of focusing and cleaning of diaphragm and elements. I did not find that excessive,  

• Like 1

Hr. Bredesen,

I find my apotelyt 180 entirely reliable (and pleasurably compact -compared with my monstrous APO-Angeneux) and suggest that you do not bother with having it serviced as long as the mechanics remain functional.  Otherwise the leitz or paepke repair charge + VAT will easily exceed any  loss when selling a fully functional but only aesthetically hadicapped lens.

p.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb ph.:

when selling a fully functional but only aesthetically hadicapped lens.

I for one would not buy any lens on which the focus ring cannot be turned to the infinity position. This is a clear sign that someone has messed around with that lens, and as a potential buyer I do not know what other defects such a lens may have. In other words, the difference in price between such a compromised lens and a lens within specs may be quite substantial.

USD300 seems quite substantial as well, and as long as the device works and the glass is free of cleaning marks it will fulfilm the purpose of taking pictures. Sudden collapse and cold-welding of dried out aluminiium helixes is reputed to be reserved for Contarex optics. Not reported for Leitz.

p

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, wizard said:

I for one would not buy any lens on which the focus ring cannot be turned to the infinity position. This is a clear sign that someone has messed around with that lens, and as a potential buyer I do not know what other defects such a lens may have. In other words, the difference in price between such a compromised lens and a lens within specs may be quite substantial.

Yes, you may very well be correct and I will probably have it repaired. I remember decades ago I saved up for this lens when it was released, and I recall having paid more then that I did now (in nominal terms). But it is still a stellar lens and I think fixing it is sensible.

• Like 1

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Ivar B:

But it is still a stellar lens and I think fixing it is sensible.

It sure is. I was able to buy a new old stock copy of that lens about 10 years ago, and subsequently sent it to Leica for ROM coding (I have a ROM Apo 2x converter, too, so the resulting focal length is transmitted if the lens has ROM).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wizard said:

It sure is. I was able to buy a new old stock copy of that lens about 10 years ago, and subsequently sent it to Leica for ROM coding (I have a ROM Apo 2x converter, too, so the resulting focal length is transmitted if the lens has ROM).

I sent an e-mail to DAG Camera Repair, who replied that this was an easy fix. The lens will be on its way tomorrow. Chance is this situation would annoy me, and nice to have it fixed.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

DAG Camera Repair fixed it and now the lens is perfect. This is the first time I used DAG but repair was very quick and the lens is perfect, so this seems to be a very good choice for anyone with repair issues. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Ivar B said:

DAG Camera Repair fixed it and now the lens is perfect

Don serviced a number of my R lenses about 5 years ago. I agree he does fantastic work.

He must be getting old by now.  Not a problem of course, but retirement must be close…

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 1/2/2024 at 11:31 PM, AZN said:

Don serviced a number of my R lenses about 5 years ago. I agree he does fantastic work.

He must be getting old by now.  Not a problem of course, but retirement must be close…

He has gotten his son active in repair. Do not know how that is working out, but if his work ethic is rubbing off on his son, then all should be OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1