Will I regret buying the M240?

Badluck

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Forget image quality .......... any current 'top end' camera is going to potentially give you perfect images..... of a resolution that will allow you to make prints bigger than you will ever need.

The decision comes down to ergonomics and how you want to take photographs..... and how compact and portable you want your gear to be.

The M has a simplicity of use that is wonderful ..... but photography tends to be rather slower and more considered as a result.

Basically I got sick of lugging big heavy lenses and cameras about and the impenetrable complexity of the menus if almost all cameras made out east .....

I have never regretted the change for a minute ..... and despite flirtations with Fuji and the Sony A7r I keep coming back to Leica despite the few things it can't do well.

This is my current travel kit ...... the Dothedag is 29x16x19cm .......:)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Owning a future proof camera is not much value if you don't like to use the camera in the first place. So it seems a trial is in order as recommended by others on the forum.

After that, here are some of my personal thoughts about my Leica M-E and if you have similar expectations, I'm sure they will be relevant for M240 and I hope it will help you in your decision making process.

I am not a professional photographer, it is just my hobby. I'm in Technology business and the last thing I want from my hobby is to be obsessing about some technical specs of some product.

To me, owning and using a Leica camera is a very personal relationship built on feelings. Not about whether I can make better photos with it or it has better ISO quality or Pixel quality or whatever technical spec there might be to compare it to other cameras. I love the build quality, the simplicity to use manual controls, the lenses and so on. It is a great a companion. and if you like, a bit of a luxury accessory (i prefer to carry the camera than wear a rolex for instance.)

People who ride motorbikes say, "4 wheels move your body, 2 wheels move your soul." This is probably as close as it gets comparing Leica M to another camera for me. There is simply no other camera that I tried that makes me skip a heart beat every time I press the shutter.

I bought my Leica M-E about 2 years ago. This is a camera based on Leica M9 and you could say that the technology is now 5 or so years old. That is a very long long time in technology these days. I have never regretted buying it and I am not thinking about replacing it any time soon. I use it as if it were a film camera, I never look at the screen on the back to check my photos, I use all manual settings, and in most cases I don't even check the light meter, I just like to guess and live with the results. I'm very happy with the photos it gives me so for me it is a timeless setup. Over the last 5 years, numerous SLR and mirror-less cameras released. Thanks to my M-E, I have never been tempted to buy any of these cameras during this time and I know for sure that if I did buy one of these cameras back in 2011, 2012, I would have upgraded them at least once or twice already.

My 2 cents and all the best.

• Like 4

...Will I regret buying the M240?
@zenkizero,

I can't see how that would ever happen - the M240 is a magnificent camera.

You ask about getting a film M for the film experience; I would recommend getting a clean, used film M rated at a condition of 9 or higher to go with the M240 or M-P; you will then have the best of both worlds. My favorite film M is the M4-P although there are others that are good choices, too. You will spend $1000-1500 USD as opposed to $4750 or more for a new film M like the M-A or MP.

Until the release of the M240, I shot with my film Leicas and refused to go digital. Since getting the M240, I don't shoot much film at all these days. The M240 is much faster, easier and more convenient in terms of shooting and processing images. I still shoot film for my B&W work, but film photography feels slow and cumbersome compared to working with my M240. The M240 equals or exceeds film in terms of image quality, which was my main reason for sticking with film for so long. Leica M glass backed by a 24x36mm CMOS sensor is hard to argue with in terms of IQ.

Since the release of the M-P (upgraded M240) I would go that route, even though the M240 is an outstanding camera. The doubled buffer capacity, sapphire glass screen cover and all black cosmetics that the M-P offers are well worth the $1450 price increase, IMHO.

Your initial lens purchase plan of a 35mm and a 50mm lens is a great place to start. Some (yours truly included) prefer the 28mm over the 35, but there's isn't a whole lot of difference in terms of field of view. The combination of 28 or 35 and 50 will cover 90% or more of the kind of photographing you will likely do with an M camera.

The M system excels at certain genres of photography - travel, documentary, reportage, street, low light, weddings and family events are among the M camera and lenses strengths. Novoflex has even made macro photography possible with the M240 and Leica lenses: Novoflex Leica M 240 Macro Extension Tube Visoflex IIIAdapter | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Hope this helps...

Edited by Carlos Danger

I definitely want to own a Leica but the one thing scaring me is buying the M240 and then end of this year early next year something new coming out and having that ' I wish i waited for this' feeling.

I'm going to go to Leica dealer tomorrow and see if they have one I can have a play with.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I definitely want to own a Leica but the one thing scaring me is buying the M240 and then end of this year early next year something new coming out and having that ' I wish i waited for this' feeling.

I'm going to go to Leica dealer tomorrow and see if they have one I can have a play with.

To one degree or another, that's a risk we all run every time we spend money on a new M body or lens.

Five months after I bought my M240, Leica released the new & improved version, the M-P. While I like the upgraded features and the cosmetics of the newer M-P, I have refused to make myself misreable over being "stuck" with a "lesser" camera.

To do so would amount to indulging in childish nonsense IMHO. My M240 is still the same outstanding camera it was the day UPS delivered it. It did not suddenly get worse when the M-P arrived on the scene.

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 1

Even if one were announced tomorrow, you wouldn't see it on the shelves for many months…and if you were wise, you'd wait at least 6 months longer for others to report issues and have Leica provide fixes. By that time, you'll have at least another year getting to know and use your already fine (and already improved) camera.

Worst case, cost to upgrade is small compared to the initial outlay. Stick with a reputable dealer that values repeat business.

Plus, there's no reason to get every new model. I skipped the M9, putting the M8.2 to good use for almost 5 years before getting the M. And the M8.2 still works great as a back-up.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

A new version of the M camera announced at an event this summer or early autumn is IMO a very realistic prospect. The appearance of the M-P last year and the many deals to be found with the M240 are classic indicators that a new camera is months, not years away. This isn't a reason not to buy an M240 but is worth bearing in mind, especially if there are things about the current M240 that you don't like.

• Like 2

The M is indeed a wonderful camera and such a beautiful object but I have to say that I have been totally seduced by the Sony A7 system. For small and light the Sony A7s along with the FE35 are hard to beat. the files from the A7s have a wonderful look and even though the lens is only a 2.8 with it's high iso capabilities it will tackle almost total darkness. Add the FE55/1.8 and you have one of the best 50 range lenses out there and it will auto-focus down to -4EV

Only real downside scan be the 12mp files. As yet I can't bring myself to sell the M is it still has a magic feel to it but for shear versatility the Sony A7 sees is hard to beat

• Like 1

We can expect the next M will be faster, quieter and more efficient in EVF/LV mode but the M240 will be difficult to beat in classic mode given the heights it has reached already so buying it now makes sense if you intend to use it mostly as a rangefinder. Now would i buy it new if i can avoid it, i don't think so. Will be hard to resist a new M with cleaner high isos anyway.

I've always tried to buy demos/factory-refurbs of any digital camera, and it has saved me many thousands of dollars. Of course that means waiting until a year or more into the product cycle, but that really doesn't bother me. It lets me avoid being an unwilling beta tester.

And I would agree about the Sony A7 series if it had an OVF not an EVF. That old ad "Is it live or is it Memorex?" still does not apply to EVF's.

• Like 1

I had a go with the M240. Absolutely loved the look and the whole feel of a rangefinder. If I had any negatives to say is I didn't realise it would take so long to take another shot right after the first (unless I was doing something wrong).

I'm seriously considering buying new for the 100 year edition but at the same time I might go for something like an m6 to have some time having experience with a leica rangefinder and see what the next M is like when it comes out. Tough decision for me though still.

Forget image quality .......... any current 'top end' camera is going to potentially give you perfect images..... of a resolution that will allow you to make prints bigger than you will ever need.

The decision comes down to ergonomics and how you want to take photographs..... and how compact and portable you want your gear to be.

The M has a simplicity of use that is wonderful ..... but photography tends to be rather slower and more considered as a result.

Basically I got sick of lugging big heavy lenses and cameras about and the impenetrable complexity of the menus if almost all cameras made out east .....

I have never regretted the change for a minute ..... and despite flirtations with Fuji and the Sony A7r I keep coming back to Leica despite the few things it can't do well.

This is my current travel kit ...... the Dothedag is 29x16x19cm .......:)

Which Dothe bag model is that? I have been looking for a bag that holds 2 bodies and 3 or so lenses plus necessary accessories, iPad etc. Will it also hold a small laptop?

I had a go with the M240. Absolutely loved the look and the whole feel of a rangefinder. If I had any negatives to say is I didn't realise it would take so long to take another shot right after the first (unless I was doing something wrong).

I'm seriously considering buying new for the 100 year edition but at the same time I might go for something like an m6 to have some time having experience with a leica rangefinder and see what the next M is like when it comes out. Tough decision for me though still.

I watched closely before investing in a digital M - IMHO, the M240 is the camera wherein Leica at long last truly got it right (no offense intended to M8 and M9 owners, just my point of view).

I also waited a while to let the camera have a proper shakedown cruise at the hands of early buyers, which seemes like a good idea when investing in a high dollar digital camera of any kind. I would not necessarily do the same if I were purchasing the latest, greatest new Leica M lens, though.

A new version of the M camera announced at an event this summer or early autumn is IMO a very realistic prospect. The appearance of the M-P last year and the many deals to be found with the M240 are classic indicators that a new camera is months, not years away. This isn't a reason not to buy an M240 but is worth bearing in mind, especially if there are things about the current M240 that you don't like.

correct

you could argue that its the best time to buy a new digital M camera, lagged two years. You get the best deals and still a full guarantee. And frankly what changes is a few years is not likely to be that much.

... if Leica stays consistent with past patterns, they will announce it in Sept 2015 (the M9 was Sept 2009 and the M240 was Sept 2012). Hence the next gen M won't be readily available until early or midway through 2016.

Leica has followed a predictable cycle. Unless they break with tradition, the new M will be announced in Sept. 2015.

I disagree. My first 6D still works & looks great after 2 years and over 100k exposures. It looks better than my M9 did after 15k exposures. Paint on the M9 wore off and scratched rather easily. The 6D is certainly better built than some other cameras that people say are well built. Two years of heavy use and still no flaky buttons or dials, no peeling rubber, no loose hot shoe, no loose lens mount ... problems we hear about with some other popular cameras. The 6D is a great value and definitely not built like a toy.

Strangely enough, that's one of the things I like about the M. They show their age beautifully. I know some like pristine cameras but I love the battle scars on my old M9. I think those beat up old M3's you see in the auctions are gorgeous. They tell a story. They have some character. Like a well worn leather jacket or a Bellingham bag.

My 240's seem to wear better than the M9. But I'll beat them up eventually.

Gordon

• Like 2

Which Dothe bag model is that? I have been looking for a bag that holds 2 bodies and 3 or so lenses plus necessary accessories, iPad etc. Will it also hold a small laptop?

This is a Mono 6 ....... it is smaller than you think .... manages an ipad .... although I tend to take an ipad mini .... probably too small for a laptop.

I also have a mono 3 which is even more compact when I want to carry even less junk .....

The leather is thick and very soft ..... so they provide a nice balance of protection and comfort ..... and I carried out some surgery on the inserts to suit my needs. They age nicely and are unobtrusive and don't shout 'camera bag' .... which suits me fine ...

• Like 1