Leica M240 and Nikon 300mm f2.8

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The pair work fantastic together. Can't wait to take them on safari together

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The pair work fantastic together.

I don not think so.

The actual 300 2.8 VR II with nano coating is a great lens. Great image stabilization, fast autofocus, the f2.8 gives you one stop faster shutter speed / less ISO for sports photography compared to the f4 version.

But on a M240, no VR, no AF, on a safari with the limit of 1/4000s with the M240 a f4 lens would do, etc..

Adapting a Nikkor 300 2.8 AI-S, fine, 500g less weight compared to this AF-S version and for manual focussing the EVF is a advantage.

But I can see no reason on safari for using a M240 instead of a Nikon AF-body like D810, D4s, D610, older or DX versions, etc. together with the actual 300 2.8.

O.k., the M240 weights less, but if you already carry the AF-S 300 VR II ....

That a M240 and the Nikkor will produce greatt images, of course, no doubt, but the lens can show his full advantage in the field better with a Nikon AF-Body. :D

Edited by K-Photo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well if I already owned the latest VR 300/2.8 Nikkor and for some unfathomable-to-me reason prefered the M240 with it's jittery EVF over a Nikon DSLR with reflex viewing and usable VR, then I would probably use it. OTOH if I didn't already own the lens I surely wouldn't buy one just to use on an M240 when other versions of the Nikon 300/2.8 are out there much less expensive. Or find the older Leica 280/2.8. Good as the M240's IQ is, it would not be the camera I would take on a safari unless the safari was something I was doing for a couple days during an otherwise non-safari trip.

Edited by bocaburger

You do not shoot in the early morning and late afternoon on Safari? I do....

And even at this time a f4 would do the job, too. :roll eyes:

And if the light situations requiring the 2.8 it would be great to be able to use the VR to work handheld, too. But this is not possible using this combination. :rolleyes:

Or the 2.8 is needed because using together with a 2x teleconverter the autofocus is working much better compared to the f4.

But what is so "fantastic" working with this pair ? I only can see disadvantages compared to use this lens with an AF body.