Fake or Real?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

this is quite mysterious for me, jerzy: not only around the lettering of the logo but also all around the other symbols (R and the arrow for rewind; auf, zu and the arrows on the bottom plate; the arrow that indicates the speed) paint is "eroded". Thus I thought it was a case of deliberate scraping off by some owner. Clearly this suppose a new layer of painting over the original layer.

Maybe I'm wrong, but why, the "erosion of paint around the lettering is not unusual"? It is a physical or chemical or mechanical question?

this is quite mysterious for me, jerzy: not only around the lettering of the logo but also all around the other symbols (R and the arrow for rewind; auf, zu and the arrows on the bottom plate; the arrow that indicates the speed) paint is "eroded". Thus I thought it was a case of deliberate scraping off by some owner. Clearly this suppose a new layer of painting over the original layer.

Maybe I'm wrong, but why, the "erosion of paint around the lettering is not unusual"? It is a physical or chemical or mechanical question?

Note that the metal has eroded as well. Could it be that somebody painted out all the lettering (maybe for the reason given earlier) and that the paint reacted with the metal?

I am pretty sure that this is still original paint. I canoot see it on the fotos, if there was transparent paint put over the original paint. Paint erosion is chemical process between the paint and alloy used for lettering (Woods metal?). You could also notice anoher erosion on brass - green spots. From my observation this is due to long storage in the leather evererady case. I store my cameras, except those which I use for making fotos, without the case in normal room temperature and humidity.

But there is nothing wrong with this erosion - just clean is softly and leave as it is. Camera has wonderful "patina", repainting would make it worse.

And comment to Elmar - very nice condition, however the Elmar from the time of production year of camera should be 11o'clock

jerzy: "And comment to Elmar - very nice condition, however the Elmar from the time of production year of camera should be 11o'clock"

The pawl is seven o'clock at infinity!? However the Elmar is from 1936:confused:

correct, your Elmar has infinity lock at 7 o'clock.

11 o'clock looks like on this one of mine (SN77xxx). I am not sure when Leica switched to 11, I believe that it must have been around 1932

jerzy

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

jerzy: "And comment to Elmar - very nice condition, however the Elmar from the time of production year of camera should be 11o'clock"

The pawl is seven o'clock at infinity!? However the Elmar is from 1936:confused:

The "11 o'clock" Elmars are , afaik, all marked 50mm, not 5cm (by converse, "7 o'clock" 50mm Elmars do exist) ; Jerzy, compliments for your "five digits" Elmar.... I'd like to have one.... :o

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Luigi, Boy would ever have some fun with This!:Lucky YOU!

1 Strip all covering

2 Disassemble complete Machine

3 Strip all Paint from body parts

4 Lightly bead bast same with plastic media

5 Chemical clean

6 Light coat of acid etch primer with airbrush

7 thin coat of semi gloss black epoxy baked 200 degrees

8 rep-plate plated parts

9 ultra-sonic clean all interior parts, reassemble and adjust all

10 lube withSwiss Moebius synthetic watch oil

11 disassemble all rangefinder glass, super clean and re-glue with modern cement

12 New goat-skin covering

13 reassemble.

What is the hole in the back for?

And I don't care if it's fake or not. Cheers, Rip

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Whole was used on Leica I and non-standard to match the focal length to the body by adding shims under the flange. This Leica is already standartised (0 on flange) as it was produced but Leitz still had left the screw ( reusing already prepared shells?).

@luigi-my 11 o'clock Elmar is 50mm, SN995xx

I am pretty sure that this is still original paint.

I agree, the paint looks totally original. The corrosion around the lettering is caused because the edges of the lettering/engravings have the thinnest paint and is more prone to chipping and rubbing, so this wears off first. Then whatever environment the camera is used or kept in can attack the brass and getting under the surrounding paint.

Steve