Release of 2.0.1.5 Firmware Update

lct

I can't see the horizon without live-view. It's necessary for me. Also the horizon was better with degrees.

what do you mean you can't see it without live-view? I just thought mine wasn't working as I turned it on and no horizon- but you have to press the info button to activate it. Agree about the degrees- but very happy that it now works as it really should have initially.

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
it seems better to me too- are you using the new blue colour?

I can't see any focus peaking with or without the update.............seriously before the update I couldn't see any focus peaking and still no focus peaking in live view. I have the below set.......am I missing something here

Menu

Focus peaking Red

Focus aid automatic

when I turn the focus ring the focus aid kicks in and it magnifies everything but as I focus on something in live view I never see the red focus peaking lines as I go through in focus to out of focus..........what am I doing wrong???

I can't see any focus peaking with or without the update.............seriously before the update I couldn't see any focus peaking and still no focus peaking in live view. I have the below set.......am I missing something here

Menu

Focus peaking Red

Focus aid automatic

when I turn the focus ring the focus aid kicks in and it magnifies everything but as I focus on something in live view I never see the red focus peaking lines as I go through in focus to out of focus..........what am I doing wrong???

what lens are you using? And what aperture? The focus peaking seems to be quite weak on the M- and I have found that older softer, faster lenses do not show peaking much if at all wide open without zooming- some even show nothing when zoomed to 10x. Initially I though mine didn't work at all as I use a lot of old and soft lenses. If you are not seeing anything with a good sharp lens then there could be a problem.

Edited by jaques

I don't know - I just tried out the blue first and it seemed to me to be showing up more than it did before. Have to get one of these folks with two M's to test them side by side with the different FW to see if there really is a change beyond the color options...

Menu

Focus peaking Red

Focus aid automatic

It should work , very strange that you see nothing

try to change the film mode to black and white , you will see the LV in B&W and maybe the FK will be easier to see, try with the EVF

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
what lens are you using? And what aperture? The focus peaking seems to be quite weak on the M- and I have found that older softer, faster lenses do not show peaking much if at all wide open without zooming- some even show nothing when zoomed to 10x. Initially I though mine didn't work at all as I use a lot of old and soft lenses. If you are not seeing anything with a good sharp lens then there could be a problem.

I am trying it with a Noctilux 0.95 and working all the way thru the aperture range and no red or blue in live view I haven't tried it with the EVF.............let me give that a blast

Menu

Focus peaking Red

Focus aid automatic

Try pressing the front button while in LV. I almost never use peaking, but I remember it not kicking in until you press the button (I don't have my camera with me right now to confirm if this is how it works). But I think the focus aid is just means the zoomed in view, not the peaking.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
I am trying it with a Noctilux 0.95 and working all the way thru the aperture range and no red or blue in live view I haven't tried it with the EVF.............let me give that a blast

slight improvement with the EVF but only very slightly..............on the sony a7r its in your face red

Questions and observations about 2.0.1.15:

1. It took me a few minutes to realize that after Horizon is turned on in the Menu settings, it is then turned on and off by a press of the Info button, cycling thru three different states: All Off, Horizon On, and All Info On.

2. I am not getting Exposure Simulation to work in the Permanent mode.

3. How does the video frame rate change work for North American shooters, where the standard frame rate is 23.976 or 24fps. The menu still has a 1/24 choice, but the release notes say "During video recording, 1/25s is now used instead of 1/24s. This reduces flicker effects with 50Hz mains voltage."

erudolph is offline Report Post

regarding the focus peak I can see a big difference, when zoomed 10x, hardly I can se the focus peak, with 5x the focus peak is obvious

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Another thing I have noticed is that I have 2 x vertical lines in live view about 1 centimetre from the left and right hand side....whats that all about?

Guest odeon
what do you mean you can't see it without live-view? I just thought mine wasn't working as I turned it on and no horizon- but you have to press the info button to activate it. Agree about the degrees- but very happy that it now works as it really should have initially.

How can I see the horizon when focusing with OVF?

I think the Noctilux is possibly the answer. You are not going to like it: but my f1 Noct barely shows up a peak on the LCD. The super fast lenses are just too soft for the Leica to pick up on the edges. This IS disappointing as these are exactly the lenses that you might want this feature for. I watched how Kai at digital rev tested the Sony with a Noct and could easily focus right off the rear LCD without zooming and with peaks aplenty. Currently Not possible with the M.:cool: I have never used the Sony but some have said that it gives too many peaks: I think too many is better than none- and Kai seemed to be able to focus wide open well. I was hoping that there may be an option to set the level of peaking- but will just have to be happy with the colour options for now...

Edited by jaques