B&W vs Leica UV. filters

Marct40

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/5/2020 at 6:02 PM, logan2z said:

:) When I say 'part of the optical system', I mean it's in the light path and could potentially have an impact on the final image.  Whether it does or not depends on the quality of the filter.

Well the front element is in the light path too so you're saying the lens degrades the image quality. I guess you can always use a pinhole 'lens' which by your definition should be the best quality possible (as long as you don't use a filter in front of the pinhole!).

1 hour ago, earleygallery said:

Well the front element is in the light path too so you're saying the lens degrades the image quality. I guess you can always use a pinhole 'lens' which by your definition should be the best quality possible (as long as you don't use a filter in front of the pinhole!).

James, I get the feeling you're being intentionally obtuse here.  As I mentioned a few times in this thread, the front element is part of the optical design of the lens, a third-party filter is not.  I have little doubt that if you asked Peter Karbe if he would guarantee the performance of his lens design when an arbitrary third-party filter is placed in front of it he would not.  How could he?  He hasn't tested/measured the lens with the filter in place so he has no idea what effect it might have.  Just like a car manufacturer will not guarantee that the measured performance of an engine will be maintained when, say, an arbitrary air filter is placed in front of it, or an arbitrary exhaust system is bolted to it.

As I said earlier, I am all for filters for the purposes of lens protection.  And obviously, colored filters have benefits for black and white photography.  My only point in this entire discussion is that I cannot be absolutely confident that they don't have an effect on image quality and so I've chosen not to use one - unless, of course, I am shooting in an environment where there is blowing sand, sea spray etc.  But then I'l probably choose not to expose my M cameras to such an environment anyway.

I think the horse has been sufficiently beaten...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jdlaing said:

On a side note......they didn’t have to give them for free. It was a nice gesture. The first such camera would be an experiment at best and all in all it was great.

They had to give them to avoid to be sued if you ask me. Ah, those lawyers! :D

13 hours ago, logan2z said:

My only point in this entire discussion is that I cannot be absolutely confident that they don't have an effect on image quality and so I've chosen not to use one.....

Try it. Its easy enough.

• 3 years later...
On 9/3/2020 at 9:22 PM, jaapv said:

The “Leica “ IR filters were not by B+W but by Marumi. It was extensively discussed on this forum in 2007

Excuse me for the massive topic bump, but would you rather get a B+W 486 or a Leica UV-IR for the same money? I’ve gotten an M8 recently without any filters.

New B+W (Amazon, €60) vs second hand Leica (MPB, €60).

my gut says; go for the new B+W…

Edited by Coffeecup

6 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

Excuse me for the massive topic bump, but would you rather get a B+W 486 or a Leica UV-IR for the same money? I’ve gotten an M8 recently without any filters.

New B+W (Amazon, €60) vs second hand Leica (MPB, €60).

my gut says; go for the new B+W…

We think we know Marumi made the IR filters for Leica but equally there is no reason to suspect B+W can't do as good a job.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I bought the B+W 486 UV-IR cut filters now in 39, 43 and 46. I e-mailed Leica about free filters, and their response is "E39-E46 has been discontinued. You can get 55, 60 and 67mm".

I've requested for one 55mm, but just a heads up that the larger sizes are still available.